4th annual Legal Empowerment Leadership Course (Budapest, 2 - 7 December 2018)

Registration closed. Thank you for your interest!

Over 400 people from more than 70 countries applied to this one-of-a-kind course at the Central European University (CEU) for the past three years. The course has received the largest number of applicants for any course held at CEU and the course evaluations were among the highest they’ve seen. We are looking forward to meeting this demand once again and putting together an equally promising course this year.

Under the theme Designing Effective Legal Empowerment Programs , a faculty of respected practitioners and academics will lead course participants in an in-depth exploration of key subject areas, including the conceptual framework of legal empowerment, community organizing and social movements, and the role of grassroots legal advocates in realizing systemic change.

The participatory course design will emphasize peer-to-peer learning through small group work, where each participant will have a chance to present and seek feedback on challenges or opportunities they encounter in their work.

Read the course brochure here

The course, which will run from December 2nd till December 7th, is co-sponsored by Central European University’s School of Public Policy, the Robert L. Bernstein Institute for Human Rights at New York University School of Law, the Global Legal Empowerment Network, Namati, and the Open Society Justice Initiative.

We invited applications from practitioners, policy makers, donors, and researchers. Scholarships are available to a limited number of applicants on a competitive basis.

The deadline to apply was August 12. Registration is now closed.

11 Likes

We are getting a tremendous response via email, and I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reach out. We are really excited about this year’s course!

I’ve responded to all questions directly, but I would like to take the time to post answers to a few frequently asked questions:

Can students apply to this course?

Registration is open to all, although we do give priority to those working in established civil society organizations.

Someone from my organization attended the course last year. Does that affect my chances to attend this year’s course?

No, that will not affect your chances to attend this year’s course. We still encourage you to apply.

Can I apply if I’ve already applied to another in-person Network opportunity?

Yes! We consider each of our in-person events as unique opportunities to learn from one another. You may still apply and have the opportunity to attend multiple different types of events.

Can we apply collectively as an organization?

This application is for individuals only, so please plan to submit one application per person.

Note that you must be a member of the Global Legal Empowerment Network to be considered for the Leadership Course. If you are not a member already, you can register for free here: https://namati.org/network/#network-reg

Feel free to ask any additional questions by commenting below or by sending a message to @ashleyvanwaes or community@namati.org

6 Likes

My fingers are crossed. Praying for this great oppo.

4 Likes

That’s a very good opportunity. I appreciate it that’s why I have applied for it

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing very special and unique opportunity. I am looking forward for it

2 Likes

This is no doubt an amazing opportunity. I have already since submitted my application. Fingers crossed too!

3 Likes

Such training is important for justice field workers, especially Paralegals. Having applied; i look forward to be given the opportunity to attend such educative training that will improve my knowledge and skills to tackle legal issues on the dispensation of primary justice as a paralegal.

3 Likes

I hope to become part of this team and be able to help in some way. Excellent opportunity and I have already applied too. Good luck for us!

2 Likes

I already applied for this opportunity, now i’am waiting for the result.

1 Like

@ashleyvanwaes Do you already know when the list with the selected participants of the Legal Empowerment Leadership Course 2018 will be published? Will we receive it by e-mail? I’ve submitted my application and had my fngers crossed since then! Thank you. Bests regards, Isis

3 Likes

Hello Isis! Thanks for checking in. We are still diligently reviewing the applications received, and will be in touch very soon directly by email with everyone. Please bear with us. There were many quality applications and choosing between them has not been easy! :seedling:

5 Likes

Hi Tobias! Thanks for the quick reply! That’s great, I’ll wait patiently! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @tobiaseigen for the update!

1 Like

@tobiaseigen many thanks for that update

1 Like

Thanks so much for great answer, I am waiting

1 Like

Thanks. I have already applied for this course and waiting for the information about final selection.

All the best.

We thank all those who applied for the 4th Annual Legal Empowerment Leadership Course. We received about 800 applications, which is a clear manifestation of the enthusiasm for the course. We are now in the final stages of the selection process and will inform the accepted applicants soon.

5 Likes

Thank you so much Marlon for your response. Ofcourse this course gives an opportunity to all those whose application will be selected. This course enlightens the members of namati and participants to learn, share and experience the legal issues. Regards

3 Likes

I’m waiting for the selected lists after my submission. 800 applications minus 60. It is amazing, happy to see people are active in applying different opportunities