Article in Foreign Policy on Financing Access to Justice

Financing for access to justice has been a persistent and troubling challenge for our community. The work we do is not necessarily work that the powerful want to fund. They know that when the law is accessible to all, people will be better able to hold them accountable.

But there are ways to overcome this challenge.

In a new article in Foreign Policy, Namati’s CEO, @vivekmaru, shares his ideas on how we, as a community and as individual organizations, can improve financing for access to justice. We would love to hear what you think. Do you agree with the ideas in the article or do you have some concerns? What other avenues for financing might the legal empowerment community pursue? Please share your reflections below.

cc: @namati_staff

15 Likes

This is an amazing piece @vivekmaru - I have sent it to everyone in my networks!

3 Likes

@mckinleycharles thanks for the post. May I seized this moment and share my experienced. In 2014 in support of the Citizens Bureau Liberia Community Justice Initiative over US $7,000 was target to be raised for operations in the Shantytown community of Logan Town, as financially potential Liberian stakeholders, as well as institutions were invited to fund raised. Notwithstanding, atleast US $100 or its Liberian dollars equivalent was realized from slum dwellers, the police, the district representative in parliament, other development organizations in Logan Town combined. As slum community dwellers and residents of Logan Town demonstrated their quest for access to justice and peaceful coexistence, financially potential stakeholders held back. Expenses accrued from hall rental, refreshments, cultural performance, etc, all put together the sum is more than the amount generated from the community residents which was far less than anticipated, given the number of requests made. However, returned on investment and meeting our target came, to be specific, from @Blair Glencorse /Accountability Lab.

So it’s true about your post as those who can financially afford the formal justice system seemed not to be bothered about those who can’t afford and care less about fund raisers to support local efforts at peace building through access to justice.

But the willingness of slum dwellers to make use of alternative dispute resolution mechanism at their local community indicate their desire to peacefully co-exist and should be seen in the right direction in terms of support that encourage efforts including funding supports and opportunities…

4 Likes

thanks @JohnWKamma for sharing this experience.

i appreciate that you are exploring a variety of sources. one of the principles in the essay is that we need diverse revenue in order to be resilient.

100 USD may not be huge in absolute terms but I bet it meant a lot to the people who gave. Big up @blair glencorse / accountability lab for coming through.

v

3 Likes