Ask me anything about The Engine Room’s Light Touch Support! (16 August, 2019)

There are quite a few examples @martaalmela. Some of my favorites include

• Uwazi: Is a free, open-source solution for organising, analysing and publishing documents. It has been used by organizations in different parts of the world to publish and share documents around human rights abuses, institutional violence and more.

• EyeWitness project Allows organizations to capture and safely store verifiable media evidence for human rights abuses on their mobile devices

• Open Data Kit: This is a free open source toolkit that allows users to setup a basic data collection and reporting system. It has been used by many organizations successfully particularly in resource constrained settings.

A key takeaway that legal empowerment organizations could learn from are that solutions don’t have to be complex in order to have an impact if they are solving the right problem. We encourage reusing methods or tools when it come to tech instead of building from scratch. In particular this saves a lot of time and resources. So this means doing research and getting a scope of the landscape can be very helpful in finding the right tool to use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the question @Time. One great strategy is to keep your content interesting and up to date which helps keep users engaged. If there are topics of discussion that are prioritized by users then they will be encouraged to come back to the platform. Sharing user success stories on your platform is also something to think about. If there are users who have benefitted from using your platform then it would be great to share these stories with others so they can have relevant examples of how it could work for them. I hope that helps.

2 Likes

I would like to thank everyone for the great questions today. I really enjoyed the session and hopefully the information and responses were useful. Please feel free to message me directly if you would like to chat more and feel free to visit our Light Touch Support page to learn more about our support. Have a great weekend everyone!

4 Likes

And… that’s a wrap, folks! Thanks everyone who asked such great questions, and thanks Lesedi for the thoughtful and very helpful answers. Technology is a huge challenge for everyone working in legal empowerment, and it is so great that The Engine Room provides this Light Touch Support program and I encourage everyone to take advantage of it. Do report back here in the forum to keep us posted on your successes, challenges, and learnings for the benefit of all of us.

You can continue the conversation with @lbewlay by starting a new topic and quoting text from this topic that you want to follow up on. To insert a quote, select the text you wish to quote, then press the Quote button that pops up. Repeat for multiple quotes.

We’d love your feedback! Please reply over here to let us know what you think of the ASK ME ANYTHING format - and if you want to volunteer someone doing terrific work to be our next featured guest. :star_struck:

6 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step