Building grassroot movement for better legal empowerment

we need to find ways to empower grassroots movement to help them build their capacity to advocate policies and laws that would better protect their rights, today we have alot of legal empowerment networks that are working with grassroot movement but in much cases these network dont help these vulnerable groups to grow as a movement in a way that tomorrow they can stand on their own event without a third party as a supporting NGO but if a movement cant stand on their own with a certain supporting NGO after many years of working with such vulnerable groups what is the long time impact of such relationship or how can we see the resilient in them if their can`t stand on their own after many years of working with a legal empowerment network? i believe this a very critical question donor agencies need to ask!!!

3 Likes

Mohammed Zanna, I feel your concern and would like to take a different dimension concerning this issue of Community movements, it’s got another side of the story, for many Community’s I’ve visited just to form a little savings group is a big problem cuz people just wanna be busy doing nothing else but searching for their daily bread. I understand your fears but the JEI example is recruiting Community based Paralegals from members of the community who are interested in supporting their Community’s by becoming Community Paralegals to carry out the functions of providing free legal services to the Urban poor in their mist and fighting injustice with the community leaders to protect their rights where it has been violated by Government officials or corporate entities. NGOs come in to support the Community Paralegals with funds to fight their cases in court by providing qualified lawyers to handle such matters for free and the community Paralegals are also paid by the NGO on a timesheet monthly salary payment. I believe we need the NGOs and they need us too to make a formidable Team

2 Likes

yes the work JEI is doing is one angle of of looking at it but more need to be done and thats why we need to move in to communities and meet them in their comfort zone also we need to look at supporting community radios so that people can listen and learn from their comfort zone without going anyway

2 Likes

That’s a good step in the right direction but what about finding? It takes a lot to operate a radio station and the cost of running the station and paying staffs and buying equipments and maintenance, am not saying it’s not possible but you’ll need a very big sponsor to build it and another big sponsor to maintain it

1 Like

We should also consider creating and empowering community solidarity groups with skills and information on legal aid. These mostly support with monitoring and following up of human rights abuses in their respective communities

2 Likes

Christine Community based solidarity groups should first be educated by partnering with an NGO who’s specialized in training Community Paralegals and Human rights advocates, for most Community’s cannot provide for themselves so why task them with overboarding responsibilities. Let the groups interested in information and legal aid join the group of other Community members to get the required skills in interpreting the constitution of their country and putting it to practice to defend the rights of the people in their Community’s

2 Likes

Its should be a prerequisite for all NGO’s and Other community Association to base their programming on formation of community solidarity groups as a basis for their community initiatives including. Community paralegals can be trained and selected from within the solidarity groups even if it means partnering with other already established community organization who have such groups in place.

With this we are looking at both sustainability and community ownership of such initiatives

1 Like

Very important perspective! :+1:t5: I’m sure you meant funding and not ‘finding’.

1 Like

Yes I meant funding. Thanks Aderonke