Case Management Software

We have different softwares. Our principal one is the Case Management System. For me as Director is super useful for monitoring the advances and finances of cases.

Estela Garcia
Director of Microjusticia Peru

4 Likes

Hi @Estela! Welcome to the network and thank you for your post. It’s an interesting enough subject that I moved it to its own independent topic.

Would you be willing to tell us some more about the software you use? What is it called, how did you come to choose it, and what was the process you took to setting it up?

1 Like

In our team we have an IT engineer that created our own sotftware called Case Management System. In this we collect all the information about cases and more: new clients profiles, cases sheets with id-code, financial information of the case, following of cases where we map next steps in the case. Also we have a satisfaction survey that we fill at the end. Additionally we registry legal consults and events we do (legal orientation campaigns,legal trainings). For M&E we have a list of reports that i could download to follow up the advances and also we can create new reports depending in our needs. Each team staff have different permits depending in the position and their user name and password. We are developing new options in our system, as uploading scanned documents, chat service with lawyers.

We have another tool named “Complaints Registry Sistem” for accountability cases that we present to the ombudsman and other relevant institutions. And the “Needs Assessment Tool” for surveys. Now we want to develop a better system for our land-mapping methodology. I have read about your land-property work and we have similarities.

I was invited to the “Access to Justice Conference” in Ottawa. Are you going?

Best Estela

8 Likes

Hi Estela, We used both hard and soft ways, first we register all the info then transfer data through the soft ware. As we have referral system, so case can have more than one service. Every team member organization has its own access and there is supervisor who can monitor all the accounts. For the M& E , can you provide me with sample of the satisfaction survey ? Best. Palestinian Bar Association - Heba

2 Likes

Hi Heba We do both too. When paralegals close the case they pass a survey to users/beneficiaries with the following items: general rate, opinion on costs, time, attention, rate in comparison with private lawyer services, good/bad experience that want to share and any improvement suggestion. Our questionary looks like this in the system: Hope it was helpful

5 Likes

Thank you, @Estela for starting this important discussion! In fact, tools and software for case management is a recurring issue within the Network, especially with many groups still using analog or paper forms and having difficulty collecting them from faraway distances.

@adrien_tofighi recently uploaded this KoBoToolbox resource from the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative to our resource library which looks like an innovative new open source approach to field data collection. While it is meant for researchers and aid workers, it seems like it could be well suited for paralegals collecting case data as well.

I was speaking with @Faith at Kituo cha Sheria in Kenya just this morning about issues with their case management system. I would be curious if either of the systems above would be helpful for them. We are both very interested to hear how Nadcao’s new case database is developing, perhaps @KhanyisileNtsenge or @nomboniso had some insights?

@mustafa_mahmoud recently shared his thoughts in a different post about his observations of the new case database on a recent visit with Nadcao in South Africa, bringing up additional questions many people are dealing with:

During my visit to the advice centers in South Africa this came up, they are in the process of developing a shared database where all the community advice centers should up load their data. I can only imagine how the database will look like with over 312 advice centers uploading their data. The things I would be most interested with are:

• How they handle data security
  • Can other centers access the data of the clients of the other centers?
  • How do they deal with confidentiality of client’s data?
  • How do they track data error?
  • Since its going to be based in a server in one of the organisations what back up mechanisms will they employ?

This is a very interesting project that we should keep an eye on I believe we can learn from it. I think the database was to go live by the end of this year.

4 Likes

Greetings from a very cold South Africa,

Thanks Mustafa and Michael for nudging us. Yes, Nadcao has formalised a relationship with the Legal Aid South Africa, where we are floating our case data on their system. It will be an incremental process but the overall goal is for all 312 community advice offices to have a shared source of data and case statistics. I will ask Khanyisile to share a dummy link of that system, and others can play around with it and see how it feels, we acknowledge the support of the Open Society Justice Initiative, for their inputs, resources, support and advices as we navigated this pretty complex process, including the dialogue sessions we had with the sector to agree on this data management platform.

5 Likes

Hi @michaelotto

We have used the KoBoToolbox resource in Peru because we are developing a project on Legal Rehabilitation in Post-Emergencies. It was very very useful for using smartphones to pass surveys and enter data at the same time but we have some difficulties to analyze data because their reports are limited. So we developed our own software called “Needs Assessment Tool” (NAT) to create different automatized reports. For the project evaluation we will be using both Kobo Toolbox and NAT.

Also in some areas we couldn’t use smartphones because of security reasons. In those cases we used paper and later on we collected the data in our NAT system.

3 Likes

Hi @nomboniso I am very happy hear that the system is working and you are willing to share with us a dummy link. I look forward to trying it out.

2 Likes

Hi @michaelotto and the rest of the network,

As promised by @nomboniso, below are screen shots of our case management hosted by Legal Aid South Africa.

Just to respond to some of @mustafa_mahmoud’s questions:

Data Security

The system is hosted on the back of Legal Aid South Africa’s system so we are lucky enough to enjoy their security features.

Access to data between Community Advice Offices (CAOs)

CAOs have access to data from their own offices.

Confidentiality

When I check reports, the only information I see are type of cases, referral and the amount recovered so client data remains confidential.

Data error

Our system is new so we haven’t tested our planned data error tracking methods. We plan to conduct random selections of captured cases and conduct some kind of follow up with the clients (with the consent of the CAO of course.

Back Up

Back up is on the Legal Aid system.

6 Likes

We currently have 30 offices using the system. We want to extract information from three other systems to create a cohort of 100 CAOs feeding into the case management system. Please see a model below:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @KhanyisileNtsenge. It is a very ambitious national case tracking system and I know the work that has gone into this massive update thus far. Congratulations!

Could you decipher some of the acronyms in the model (CMS, RLT, CWAO, CCJD)? :slight_smile:

@Estela, interesting to hear that you have used KoBoToolbox for data collection. I am sure it is useful for satisfaction surveys like @hebamourtaga was mentioning. Based on your experience, do you think the KoBoToolbox could also be used or adapted for paralegal case management systems?

1 Like

Hi @michaelotto

I don’t think Kobo toolbox could be used as case management system. Is more useful for legal needs assessments and evaluations.

Our system is the Case Management System (CMS). Microjustice4All designed the system in colaboration with the MJ Country Organizations. The main design was developed in Peru and Bolivia as we are the oldest organizations (2007-2008).

Each country has a main menu. In Peru we work in 4 regions, so each region has their own link. Each staff person has an user and password to protect the cases information.

In our main menu we have the different options. In the system we can storage clients information, details of consults, cases, trainings, meetings, awarness raising activities, finances of cases and reports.

Now we are working in a new option to upload scanned documents. Also we have developed an option to share the case status with clients.

This is how a case file looks. We have the contact information, the case type, we get an unique code and we also track the “impact”

3 Likes

Thank you so much @KhanyisileNtsenge for sharing this. This is the first time i see another case managment system and is very exciting.

3 Likes

Hi @michaelotto and community,

My apologies for the acronyms.

CMS: Case Management System

RLT: Rural Legal Trust The Rural Legal Trust (RLT) was established in 2000 as an interim arrangement that would provide free legal services for farm workers, farm dwellers and labour tenants, whilst the then Department of Land Affairs and the then Legal Aid Board were seeking parliament approval to establish such units. The interim period lasted three years through which the three organisations set up a pilot project that would best inform the envisaged model. The pilot also employed paralegals and lawyers who were meant to provide a direct service to above mentioned clientele; these personnel were also to be absorbed into the system. Unfortunately the tripartite arrangement seized to exist when Land Affairs decided not to financially support the pilot; which did not hinder the RLT from continuing to provide legal services to the indigent of South Africa.

RLT established partnerships with land rights organisations in all nine provinces where paralegals, lawyers and fieldworkers were placed to be supported through its re-granting facility. This arrangement continued through 2008 when RLT had to conduct and external evaluation of its intervention programmes. The external evaluation report argued for continuation of its programmes with recommendations that would improve service provision. At least after its strategic planning of 2009 – 2010, the RLT emerged an organisation that continues the provision of legal services to the indigent, enhanced by its people-driven advocacy work.

CWAO: Casual Workers Advice Office The Casual Workers Advice Office (CWAO) was founded in 2011 as a non-profit, independent organisation. It provides advice and support to workers, privileging casual, contract, labour broker and other precarious workers. The organisation was formed out of the recognition that the traditional labour movement appears incapable or unwilling to organize the new kinds of workers created by neo-liberalism. This recognition also informs the emphasis the CWAO places on precarious workers beginning to organize themselves. The old industrial model of organizing seems unsuitable for precarious workers. Indeed, it seems no longer suitable for traditional industrial workers themselves. The new organizational forms that will take its place will be determined by workers through struggle. It is through organisation that precarious workers will best defend their rights, improve upon those rights, and connect with broader struggles for social justice and an egalitarian society

CCJD: Centre for Community Justice and Development The Centre for Community Justice and Development (CCJD) is a non-profit organisation which provides fundraising, training, research and other support services to fifteen community-based advice offices in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. The offices provide access to justice to rural communities, offering legal advice, mediation, counselling and educational services, and negotiating with service providers on behalf of clients. The main issues addressed are domestic violence, entitlements such as pensions and grants, labour rights and child abuse.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to see your system in English @Estela?

1 Like

I only have access to the Microjusticia Peru Case Management System which is in Spanish. The MJ4All Deputy Director, James Stockstill, was in contact with someone from the Open Societies Foundation South Africa, was you? The MJ4All’s programs in Rwanda and Africa have the same system in English.

1 Like

Hi all! I also wanted to add Casebox to this list of Case Management Platforms: https://www.casebox.org/. This is an open source tool built by HURIDOCS and Ketse. It was built with human rights legal organisations in mind, so it is a great option if you are managing legal cases. CEJIL is using it to manage the Inter-American Court cases.

Let me know if you have any questions - I’m happy to connect you to our team.

3 Likes

Hi @kjantin! Welcome back to the network! So glad to reconnect with you here, old friend, and also to learn that you’re now with HURIDOCS. HURIDOCS is a great organization that I have been following for many years, and so I’d be glad to find ways to connect and share between our two networks.

I took the liberty of completing the directory profile for HURIDOCS with info from your website - let me know if you have any corrections. For now you will also be the ‘official contact’ which means the network team will call on you to help keep the HURIDOCS profile updated and confirm affiliated members. Happy to change who that is as well - just have the appropriate person sign up and then let me know.

CaseBox looks really promising as an open source project that can be freely used and contributed to by human rights organizations . Kudos! :rocket: I watched the youtube video (see below) and tried the demo and am really impressed. I liked in particular the ability to keep track of a complicated sequence of preceding and subsequent actions, like an issue tracker. Also the tree view of correspondence to keep a handle on the many people who can be involved in a complicated case. I’d love to learn more about it and the organizations who are using it - if you are up for it I’d be glad to organize a webinar about it together with you and perhaps one of your implementing partners.

Perhaps we can get some members to try out CaseBox? Or is anyone here already using it?

1 Like

@KhanyisileNtsenge: Thanks for explaining these terms and for introducing us to these fabulous South African legal empowerment organizations. I updated your post to include links to their websites.

Would you be able to help us to invite them to the network? You can just send them an email inviting them with this link to https://namati.org/network which contains info about the network and the signup form.

@luckymkhize just signed up today and in her bio indicates she works for CCJD. You are most welcome to the network! :rocket: Perhaps she is willing to also help us to get a network profile set up for CCJD and to invite her colleagues.