[Communique] Legal Aid approaches for Marginalized and Indigent Persons in the wake of the COVID-19 Pandemic - Open to Endorsements

Dear all,

The Kenyan Section of the International Commission of Jurists ( ICJ-K) in partnership with the Global Legal Empowerment Network held a webinar on the challenges and opportunities for legal aid actors in promoting access to justice for the poor and marginalized during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The topic of the webinar was mainly informed by the fact that governments in the East and Horn of Africa are hastily enacting emergency directives, laws and regulations to curb the spread of the COVID 19 pandemic. These measures, while necessary, have nonetheless heightened the risk of human rights violations. Despite this reality, legal services have not been categorized as an essential service in any of the East and Horn of Africa countries.

From the webinar, we have developed a communique that identifies the justice challenges in the East and Horn of Africa and a call to action directed at Governments in the East and Horn of Africa Region, State Actors that Provide Legal Aid, Development Partners and Civil Society Organisations.

In the following link, you can access the document, which is open to endorsements of individuals and organizations from all over the world.

6 Likes

Dear Matanu.

I wish you have let me know since i come from poor and marginalized community with a lot of legal challenges.

Dear Noor,

Thank you for endorsing the communique and for contributing to this conversation. Sure, once we move on to next steps as discussed in this webinar, we will let you know.

1 Like

Thank you Madam Mutanu.You are most welcome.