Communities tackling impacts from coal

This is an article by one of our Enviro Legal Coordinators- @Hasmukhdhumadiya Hasmukh Dhumadiya , in which he talks about his journey working with communities in addressing the impacts of coal handling.

The article describes the kinds of impacts that people living near a company handling coal faces everyday due to the storage and transportation of coal.

They complain, “…the coal dust from the company is not just a problem for human beings, even the cattle have to breath it in whenever they go to graze. The dust settles on the grass there, which is their food.” In the monsoon, when the grass is thriving on the grazing lands, it attracts even more dust. The foggy conditions in this season, say the villagers, increases the intensity of this impact.

It goes on further to describe how they learnt the law and filed complaints to the institutions that monitor the enforcement of environmental regulations. @namati_staff

11 Likes

This is fantastic! Wonderful work, and great to see local media publishing stories like this

3 Likes

This is great! I will share on the website as well. I love that there is a clear description of how the mishandling of the coal impacted residents. I equally appreciate the emphasis on empowerment. @bharatpatel, please pass on the comments and appreciation for a job well done (in the case and in the writing of it!) to Hasmukh.

2 Likes

Thank you @bharatpatel for sharing this. Congratulations @Hasmukhdhumadiya! Terrific piece. Reading a true legal empowerment story like this, in Hasmukh’s own words, gives me goose bumps.

I love this line: “When [Pollution Control Board Officers] met Karubhai, he spoke the language of law.” And the before and after photos are priceless.

@kanchikohli led a workshop in which she coached paralegals to write public articles about their cases. Here’s another example, from @vinod Patgar, about fisher people in Karnataka seeking formal permits to live by the sea. There are more stories in the pipeline. Kanchi has promised a reflection note about the process.

There’s a similar spirit here to the work the Myanmar team is doing to help partner organizations publish their own policy briefs (described in this post).

When the people closest to the work can write about their experience, distill the lessons in that experience, and propose improvements to laws and systems, we are getting closer to a deeper version of democracy.

Much love

vivek

cc: @namati_staff

4 Likes

thank you @vivekmaru. It is exciting to see so many of our team members and partners write about the legal empowerment efforts to address a range of environment justice challenges people face in real time. Here is the latest one from Jayendrasinh Ker: https://pratisad.wordpress.com/2017/06/17/pollution-caused-by-company/ in Gujarati language. It talks about bringing law to life in addressing the problem of “dusting” by an industry using bauxite on the Saurashtra Coast in western India.

Cheers, Myanmar team! Look forward to learning from your experience.

@namati_staff

2 Likes