Concept Note: Land Dispute Resolution Project in Kole district, Uganda

plse advise accordingly.
thank you.

OKORI GEORGE CYRUS
LAND OFFICER KOLE DISTRICT

CONCEPT NOTE FOR LAND DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROJECT IN KOLE DISTRICT.

Introduction:

The land in Kole District in the past was predominantly used for crop cultivation in the upland (upstream) and downstream (wetland areas) was used communally as grazing grounds, fishing areas, harvesting of other wetland resources like medicinal plants and other form of plants including craft materials such as papyrus, phoenix and palm products.

Currently land use in Kole District is highly diversified. It includes crop cultivation, animal rearing (cattle, goats, pigs and sheep) and settlement. The activities are spread out in nearly all the sub counties in the district. Fish farming, horticultural practices, grazing of cattle, goats and sheep are dominated in Alito Sub County while rice cultivation, settlement, brick making and sand quarrying dominate in Ayer, Aboke and Akalo Sub-counties. In general terms, cultivation of wetlands for production of paddy rice and horticultural crops (tomatoes, green pepper and other green vegetables) dominate across the district.

However, in the recent year’s community members in the district have also embarked to using their land for tree planting so as to promote protection and conservation of the environment upon realizing challenges from depletion significant forest covers (vegetation).

Land dispute has become very rampant in the district due to various factors especially the ever increasing population.

Justification:

Given the divers land uses shown above, and population increase in the district, while land area is static, there is competition for space and land dispute is reported on a daily basis while others have resulted into fights and deaths.

If nothing is done to avert land conflicts in the district, there will be loss of livelihood due to court injunctions and other factors.

Formal courts are expensive and take too long to deliver justice.

60% of land claimed through formal courts do not result into peaceful co existence between the two parties other than those mediated locally through local leaders.

Mediation approached has been tested to be very effective in dispute resolution all over the world. Even bloody wars came to an end through mediation.

Objectives of the project:

• To reduce land conflicts in the district by 80% by 2020.
  • To establish community structures that can effectively settle land conflicts.

Activities:

• Mobilization, identification and training of key stakeholders in land management and administration.
  • Selection and training of land conflict mediators in mediation approaches to dispute resolution
  • Capacity development of the district land officials to ensure sustainability after the project.
  • Radio programmes (talk shows, jingles and DJ mention).
  • Procurement of assorted equipments and stationeries.

Expected outputs:

• 140 land conflict mediators in place (20 per Sub County).
  • 140 bicycles procured for the mediators.
  • 2 motorcycles for the lands office
  • 4 fire proof cabinets

Expected Outcomes:

• Reduced number of land dispute cases being reported
  • More land being utilized for livelihood
  • Few land dispute cases going to formal courts

Indicators:

• The percentage drop of land dispute cases
  • The number of active land dispute mediators in place.
  • Number of land office staff trained

Methodologies:

• Community mobilization and sensitization
  • Trainings of land dispute mediators.
  • Media campaigns & advocacy:
  • Research and exchange visits
  • Documentation
1 Like

Hi @Okori,

Amoti baa omina!!

My name is David Arach, (atin me Aboke). I work with Namati’s Community Land Protection Program, based in Nairobi, Kenya.

I read through your concept note and found it spot on. True, you highlight the pertinent issues in Kole.

My only feedback would be; You highlight building capacity of local leaders and structures, more than 90% of land in Kole is customary and thus managed by the cultural institution. The “Owitonge” are quite involved in conflict management. How about target them? After all, the Uganda National Land Policy 2013 already recognizes cultural institutions and customary land tenure. That is not to say you disregard the other leadership targeted but rather placing the cultural leaders as priority because the truth is that, they are the ones who community members approach first with land conflicts even before the approach the LC1s. Therefore in hierarchy, I would have these leaders as primary targets; Jago, Rwot, Awitong and LC1.

Land and Equity Movement in Uganda (LEMU) is doing good work in Lango Sub-region, you might want to approach them too.

I hope that’s helpful,

David

2 Likes

David, I hope you are Ok.

hope you remember me. we meet when u were working with Mango tree and I was the DCDO by then.

I really thank you for the input. I will definitely include the cultural leaders.

Pls help me get funding for this project

Yin kara kom ibedo atin paco, pls kony paco. wan otic karacel dang ocem karacel.

2 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step