Criminal Justice Accountability Forum in Nairobi, Kenya (28 February, 2020)

The Youth Safety Awareness Initiative ( Crime Si Poa ), in conjunction with Shining Hope for Communities SHOFCO, has under its Access to Justice program organized a community Criminal Justice Accountability Forum on integrating crime prevention and criminal justice into community dialogues to promote the rule of law and public participation in Nairobi. The forum will be held on Friday 28th February 2020 at Mathare SHOFCO Hall between 9.00am and 12.00noon.

Mathare Forum

This forum will, among other things, provide a platform for young people and community stakeholders to engage and explore prospects for reducing conflict and building cohesion between communities and law enforcement agencies, understanding of the criminal justice system and offering further insight into the needs and challenges faced by members of the community.

To get further details, feel free to contact me at @sylviamorwabe.

We look forward to seeing you!!

4 Likes

I missed this. Sadly. I would like information on when and where the next one is. regards

3 Likes

@sylviamorwabe- please keep members updated on this interesting forum.

3 Likes

Hi Mary, Sorry you missed this one. We’re however still planning for more of such forums and I’ll be sure to keep you and the rest of the community posted on when and where the next one will be. Regards, Sylvia

2 Likes

Hi Guys, here are a couple of updates on how the forum went.

On Friday 28th February, Crime Si Poa in partnership with Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO), made the first strides towards Changing the Narrative on Criminal Justice in Mathare at the Mathare Criminal Justice Accountability Forum. We got an opportunity to discuss criminal justice accountability with state actors from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations – DCI and Office of The Director of Public Prosecutions. The community aired their grievances ranging from unlawful arrests, to police brutality and extrajudicial killings which are all quite rampant in many informal settlements around the country. These grievances were addressed by the representatives from the DCI and ODPP who further shared mechanisms that their offices have in place to deal with such issues and how the community could effectively make use of such mechanisms in order to hold the law enforcement officers and other state actors accountable. The community members were further reminded that under the constitution, sovereign power lies with them and as such they have the power to be the change they want to see in their community.

The forum was definitely a first and critical step towards resolving conflict and finding lasting solutions to the hostility between the community and the police. We look forward to further legal empowerment sessions and to building greater cohesion between the community and state actors.

Regards, Sylvia.

#SheriaMashinani #MathareLegal

3 Likes

Thank you, Appreciated and I will be happy being part that community that seeks to see justice realised.

2 Likes

Looks like it was great forum! The approach is empowering for both state and community actors: creating a platform for community and state to interact and create avenues for joint action. Kudos to Crime Si Poa!

1 Like

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step