CSW 2020: Africa, will we be there?

Hi there!

Happy New Year !

I am conducting a quick survey among our African members regarding participation in the CSW 2020. Will any of us be attending this conference? Do you you know of any African network member that will be attending this conference ? Please let me know in the comment section below or you could also send me a direct message.

I look forward to hearing from you :smiley:

8 Likes

Good morning, I wish I could attend this event but I am located in Canada. Is there a legal element in the framework of the event? Thanks, Alexandar

1 Like

Hallo. I wish I could attend. I am not aligned to any organization with a consultative status. How I wish I could attend

1 Like

Hi Alexandar , you can find out more about the CSW here .

The main focus of the session will be on the review and appraisal of the implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and the outcomes of the 23rd special session of the General Assembly. The review will include an assessment of current challenges that affect the implementation of the Platform for Action and the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.

5 Likes

Aimee gd day,

can u tell me more abt csw…i live in nigeria presently

thanks

precious

2 Likes

Hi Precious,

The Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) is the global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.

The CSW is instrumental in promoting women’s rights, documenting the reality of women’s lives throughout the world, and shaping global standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women.

For more information please click here.

This year the CSW will take place at the United Nations Headquarters in New York from 9 to 20 March 2020. Representatives of Member States, UN entities, and ECOSOC-accredited non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from all regions of the world are invited to attend the session.

The session will look at the achievement of gender equality and the empowerment of women and its contribution towards the full realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.

For more information on this year’s CSW please click here

3 Likes

Please can you avail us with more information before we decide. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Mulindwa,

Please have a look below:

Aimee thanks a lot

Great work you do

Sounds challenging and in sync with our goals in action against(extreme) human suffering-AAHS

And we do appreciate the vulnerabilities, the present challenges n gender-added peculiarities of the womenfolk n healthcare logicalities.

Yes, I’d like to be enlisted with csw Aimee…n where opportunity exists, I’d love to be at CSW Africa meet.

Thanks.

@johnmasuwa from Zambia responded by email:

Gender Equality through Justice For All will be helpful for us. John Masuwa

1 Like

Thanks Tobias I will follow up.

Precious, Thank you for your response. Unfortunately we are not funding organisations to attend CSW this year. Rather, we were looking to support organisations that will already be at CSW. Here are the types of support we may be able to provide.

• Spotlight and amplify your work on gender equality through the Justice For All campaign
  • Engage high level partners like The Elders to focus attention on access to justice and women’s rights
  • Support a side event at the CSW at the UN in March, bringing in global justice partners like UN Women, Justice Taskforce and supporting with logistics (with some funding to bring speakers to this event)
  • Provide key positions and messages on why financing and protection for grassroots justice defenders advances gender equality to feed into the outcome document.

If you do know of any network member who may be attending , please share this with them.

Regards,

3 Likes

Thanks n God your work

2 Likes

Hi Tobias pleas let not the problem of internet block my participation. Regards John

2 Likes

Hi @johnmasuwa! As we’ve been discussing separately, your mobile device does not support this modern forum software so I have turned on mailing list mode in your forum preferences so you can respond directly to forum posts that will all show up in your email from now on. :envelope_with_arrow:

You asked for an update about CSW64 / Beijing+25 (2020) - so here you go! Here’s a post my colleague @AimeeOngeso wrote last week.

1 Like

Hi Peggy,

Thank you so much for your interest in CSW - from speaking with you and other partners, we discovered that the most popular areas people wanted support were:

• Spotlight and amplify your work on gender equality through the Justice For All campaign
  • Engage high level partners like The Elders to focus attention on access to justice and women’s rights

To this end, the Justice For All campaign, the Elders and other justice partners are hoping to promote your work to a wider audience and to celebrate your efforts over the course of March. We are looking to create social media infographics about your work, to share any resources that you may have, and to promote these throughout March on Twitter and Facebook. To do this, we are hoping that you can fill in this short form about your work JFA – CSW Questionnaire by February 15th. Please do share pictures and resources as it will help bring to life the work that you do.

We are also open to supporting a webinar on the outcomes of CSW/ work on legal empowerment and gender. If you are interested in hosting a webinar please do let us know and we can further discuss what that would entail.

Finally, we will share information from the form with the Taskforce on Justice who are looking for case studies for a new paper on how increasing access to justice can help overcome the Areas of Concern outlined in the Beijing 25 Platform of Action (the areas of concern are 1. Women and poverty, 2. Education and training of women, 3. Women and health, 4. Violence against women, 5. Women and armed conflict, 6. Women and the economy, 7. Women in power and decision-making, 8. Institutional mechanisms for the advancement of women, 9. Human rights of women, 10. Women and the media, 11. Women and the environment, 12. The girl child).

We will no longer be organising a side event in New York as we did not receive enough interest from other partners to pursue that option. But we have network members who will be speaking at other events across CSW and who will report back from the event on the April JFA Coalition call.

Many thanks again for the work that you do. We hope that drawing attention to your work will help you with your ongoing efforts. If you have any problem completing the form please let me know.

Hi Precious, Thank you so much for your interest in CSW - from speaking with you and other partners, we discovered that the most popular areas people wanted support were:

To this end, the Justice For All campaign, the Elders and other justice partners are hoping to promote your work to a wider audience and to celebrate your efforts over the course of March. We are looking to create social media infographics about your work, to share any resources that you may have, and to promote these throughout March on Twitter and Facebook. To do this, we are hoping that you can fill in this short form about your work JFA – CSW Questionnaire by February 15th. Please do share pictures and resources as it will help bring to life the work that you do.

We are also open to supporting a webinar on the outcomes of CSW/ work on legal empowerment and gender. If you are interested in hosting a webinar please do let us know and we can further discuss what that would entail.

Finally, we will share information from the form with the Taskforce on Justice who are looking for case studies for a new paper on how increasing access to justice can help overcome the Areas of Concern outlined in the Beijing 25 Platform of Action (the areas of concern are 1. Women and poverty, 2. Education and training of women, 3. Women and health, 4. Violence against women, 5. Women and armed conflict, 6. Women and the economy, 7. Women in power and decision-making, 8. Institutional mechanisms for the advancement of women, 9. Human rights of women, 10. Women and the media, 11. Women and the environment, 12. The girl child).

We will no longer be organising a side event in New York as we did not receive enough interest from other partners to pursue that option. But we have network members who will be speaking at other events across CSW and who will report back from the event on the April JFA Coalition call.

Many thanks again for the work that you do. We hope that drawing attention to your work will help you with your ongoing efforts. If you have any problem completing the form please let me know.

Hi Mulindwa,

Thank you so much for your interest in CSW - from speaking with you and other partners, we discovered that the most popular areas people wanted support were:

2 Likes

Hi there, as I am sure many of you will have seen, CSW has been cancelled due to the current Covid-19 Coronavirus outbreak. For those who were planning on attending, or for those who would like to get involved there is an online forum taking place- you can registered here for the Virtual NGO CSW64 Forum Consultation Day . This will be taking place on Monday, Mar 16, 2020 10am ET (1 hours 30 minutes)

1 Like

Am interested and in kenya and represent my community based organisation how can we participate on this confrence