Discussion: Investigating mid-scale, national land grabs

corruption
land
forum-post
normal
underway

(Marena Brinkhurst) #1

In many of the places where Namati and partners work on community land protection, we have noticed a phenomenon that we feel has not received enough attention from researchers, organizations, and media - especially compared the amount of attention received by Large Scale Land Acquisitions and land grabbing. We refer to the phenomenon as “mid-scale land grabs”, land grabs or coercive and exploitative land deals made by national elites (politicians, powerful families, military commanders etc.) that are too small to show up as ‘large scale’ land deals (50 ha here, 100ha there etc.), but which are very significant areas for local communities and which add up to large areas of land.

We are interested in mid-scale land grabs because:

• We think they are the greatest, most widespread, and most common threat to community and indigenous lands.
  • They are typically not captured in research projects or data collection on land grabbing, which focus on international and transnational land deals.
  • They are more difficult to prevent and remedy because they are harder to identify proactively and the elites behind them are often very powerful and ‘outside the reach of the law’ in their country.
  • We need different strategies than those used against international and transnational land grabs because things like international consumer campaigns against corporations or laws and guidelines for international corporations are less effective against domestic elites and companies.

While local and domestic land grabbing is not new - in fact, one could say it has been an issue for as long as people have been laying claim to land and resources - we fear that it is increasing in response to the rising global demand for land and increasing awareness of the economic value of land, particularly among elites.

Namati is planning a research project to investigate mid-scale land grabs/deals. We want to document and describe this activity, assess whether it appears to be increasing or not, and suggest strategies for preventing or remedying it.

We want your input into how we design this project. Some questions that would particularly help us at this stage are:

• Have you seen evidence of mid-scale land grabs or land deals?
  • How widespread or common is it in your country?
  • Does our idea of ‘mid-scale land grabs’ make sense to you, from your experience? How would you define a ‘mid-scale land grab’?
  • How do you learn of these types of land grabs or exploitative land deals? (e.g. from communities, in the media etc.)
  • Where do you suggest we look to collect information about mid-scale land grabs in your country?
  • Have you read any reports, articles, or other research into mid-scale land grabs and/or how to prevent or remedy them?
  • Have you heard of or tried any strategies to prevent or remedy these types of land grabs in your country?

(Elizabeth Donger) #2

Hello all! My name is Elizabeth and I will be working on this exciting and important project with Namati over the summer.

In the coming weeks, we are hoping to connect with front-line advocates working to protect community lands and natural resources from elite/investor appropriation. Please get in touch if you are willing to speak with Namati about one or more instances of mid-scale elite land grabbing that you have been closely involved with or know about in depth.

All interviews will be entirely confidential; due to the sensitive nature of elite land grabbing, we will strip the interviews of any personal data that might indicate where our information came from.

If you do not have time or are not comfortable speaking confidentially with us, please also let me know of others we could call and speak with, or any newspaper articles that discuss mid-scale land grabs.

You can either message me through this Community Discussion site or send an email to: elizabethdonger@namati.org

Thank you in advance for any support you might offer!

(Marena Brinkhurst) #3

(Micheal Musumba) #4

Hello, Marena Brinkhurst, I have not been on the platform for sometime because i was handling some research which upon completion will be shared to the interested members on this Platform.

“MID-SCALE LAND GRABS” are widely spread here in Uganda evidently because there are over 30% mid-income land grabbers here who can afford grabbing Low-income land owners’ Land through paying lower than the going Open Market Value. This Mid-scale type of system does not raise flags here because land advocates here are too busy focused on the ‘‘High-Scale land grabbers’’ such as investors and high income nationals not mentioning the high back log of Land cases down here and a corrupt legal system. Worth mentioning also, these Mid-scale Land grabbers are usually Land Brokers here in Uganda.

Am so overwhelmed with the way you came up with such an idea, hope am not so late for the design. I came to learn of this particular type of land grabbing through my Valuation Works where dispossessed parties could engage my services to make a private Valuation Assessment of their properties to ascertain the Open Market Value with an aim of comparing with the previous valuation assessment which is always less than half the accurate opinion of value. In a nut shell, my accurate reports never stand a chance to even see the court room or the concerned community Land protection personnel.

To get a proper design, we could look through third parties such as Land brokers. The problem with researchers is that they think Land Brokers are merely concerned with Land deals which is not always the case. Here brokers go as deep as ascertaining the financial status of all their neighbors as well as the community at large, who in this case are “Land Owners”. They bring shoddy deals which at such a moment, they seem legit to the “would be” affected person. The result is forced vacation of the premises even without full payment.

This can also be brought about by ignorance on land contracts and failure to interprets the terms and conditions in the availed contracts.

I have worked on more than 5 Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) all over East Africa, all of which don’t reflect the actual meaning of resettlement, so trust me when I say WE STILL HAVE A WAR TO FIGHT.

I wish there is still a chance for me to be part of this design.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

@Nkanfiegue answered @marenabrinkhurst’s questions from back in 2015 recently, in a new topic Togo-land grabbing. It’s quite a detailed and interesting description of land grabbing in his country Togo and how his organization proposes to confront it. It makes great reading!

Marena and Elizabeth are no longer working for Namati, but perhaps the @namati_clp could give Kanfigue and the rest of us an update on the research project they were planning back then, and we can wrap up this topic about it? Or @marenabrinkhurst and @ElizabethDonger would be willing to make a guest appearance to let us know? :sunny:

New member introductions (22 March to 4 April, 2018)
(Avv Abdijalil Said) #6

hello my colleague the issue investigating mid- scale national land grabs is common problem and most cases filed in court. since somalia central governments collapse land become most disputed re-sourse some time my result death-

in Somalia their types of land grabs

1. put in your bag means persom come plot of land that not exist any build and he build it so later claim this is my property
  2. making illegal documents for local authority paying some money in Somalia land owned by Governments and they give person with contion to build within 6 monthts

so i suggest to Namati add that investigation

thanks

Abdijalil said

(David Arach) #9

Hi All,

This is a very interesting discussion. At Namati we support communities to proactively deal with threats over their lands, including those such as land grabs which are very rampant.

We have categorized land loss under three categories; land loss to 1) multinationals through large-scale land concessions for investment; 2) government or national elites appropriating land and 3) “Stronger” community or family members disenfranchising “weaker” ones.

For communities to proactively deal with threats from land grabbing, we work with communities to use national land laws to protect their customary and indigenous lands. Our integrated approach combines the legal and technical work of mapping and documentation with the local governance work of resolving land conflicts, ensuring intra-community equity, and strengthening mechanisms for accountable and participatory management of land and natural resources.

You can check out our global community land protection guide. There are two sections that are relevant to land grabs. Page 93: Strengthening community governance of land and natural resources; this section guides communities to draft bylaws that will prepare them to relate with outsiders. The other relevant section is on page 141: Harmonizing boundaries and documenting community lands. This section supports communities to agree on and document their land claim. Communities that haven’t agreed and harmonized their land claim are susceptible to land grabs.

I’m also excited to share that just this month, Namati and CCSI have published two practical, easy-to-read guides written to support communities to prepare for and then negotiate with potential investors seeking community lands and natural resources. Click here to download Guide 1 , and here to download Guide 2 . These are very useful tools for practitioners who work with communities.

Regards,

David Arach

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step