Do you know anyone who deserves to win a Woman of Distinction Award?

The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) are accepting nominations for the Woman of Distinction Award. This annual award is given to a woman in recognition of her leadership in the struggle for gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Award will be presented at the UN Commission on the Status on Women conference in New York in January. Previous winners include activists, film makers, noble peace prize winners and from our network, Dr. Kaosar Afsana, Associate Director of Health Programme at BRAC, Bangladesh. This year the committee are particularly interested in nominations from women who have helped to advance the SDGs.

If you know anyone who deserves to be nominated please submit nominations to: WoDA@ngocsw.org outlining how they meet the following criteria. Please also share with partners who would be interested @michaelotto @lauragoodwin @abigailmoy @elliefeinglass @timmillar @yeyinth @sonkitaconteh @kanchikohli

Criteria for WoDA Nominees for 2015

• Nominee must exhibit evidence-based leadership in her field of expertise.
  • Nominee must be an advocate for positive social change to close the leadership gap and create a more equitable society for women and girls.
  • Nominee must support policies, practices, attitudes, and/or actions that are intended to produce equitable outcomes for women and girls connected to the SDGs and the Beijing Platform for Action.
  • Nominee must have demonstrated success in empowering women and girls in her projects.
  • Nominations are open to women from all regions.

The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) is one of the three women’s committees of the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the UN (CoNGO). Under CoNGO’s umbrella, the NGO CSW committees helped plan the NGO Forums at the UN World Conferences in Mexico, Copenhagen, Nairobi, and Beijing. NGO CSW/NY is a volunteer-based, non-profit NGO funded largely by individual contributions.

2 Likes

Thanks @staceycram, sounds like a great opportunity!

I wanted to let some of the strong women in our Network know of the opportunity in the event they had someone in mind. @KhanyisileNtsenge, @NisreenRammal, @mitali, @Sawsanourallah, @Wigayi, @fatimaadamu, @SamaaEtturkey

1 Like

@staceycram thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will certainly take try our best to take this forward and put in a nomination. @manjumenon @krithikadinesh

1 Like

Thanks Stacey. Will share widely.

Regards Faith.

2 Likes

The deadline for the nomination is December 15th, hopefully this still gives you time to submit something? It’s still not the most clear process in terms of the format for the nomination but I would suggest answering the criteria below and providing a bio of the person you wish to nominate. I have emailed the organiser and if I hear back from them I will share the information.

Criteria for WoDA Nominees for 2015

• Nominee must exhibit evidence-based leadership in her field of expertise.

• Nominee must be an advocate for positive social change to close the leadership gap and create a more equitable society for women and girls.

• Nominee must support policies, practices, attitudes, and/or actions that are intended to produce equitable outcomes for women and girls connected to the SDGs and the Beijing Platform for Action.

• Nominee must have demonstrated success in empowering women and girls in her projects.

• Nominations are open to women from all regions.

Please submit nominations to: WoDA@ngocsw.org Deadline: 15 December 2015

Is there a format/template for the WoDA Award to nominate.

There is no template @ErfaanBabak, I have emailed the organisers but I have not heard from them, so I would suggest a bio of the person you are nominating and a narrative which covers the selection criteria - I would aim for 2 pages max.