The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) are accepting nominations for the Woman of Distinction Award. This annual award is given to a woman in recognition of her leadership in the struggle for gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Award will be presented at the UN Commission on the Status on Women conference in New York in January. Previous winners include activists, film makers, noble peace prize winners and from our network, Dr. Kaosar Afsana, Associate Director of Health Programme at BRAC, Bangladesh. This year the committee are particularly interested in nominations from women who have helped to advance the SDGs.
If you know anyone who deserves to be nominated please submit nominations to: WoDA@ngocsw.org outlining how they meet the following criteria. Please also share with partners who would be interested @michaelotto @lauragoodwin @abigailmoy @elliefeinglass @timmillar @yeyinth @sonkitaconteh @kanchikohli
Criteria for WoDA Nominees for 2015
- Nominee must exhibit evidence-based leadership in her field of expertise.
- Nominee must be an advocate for positive social change to close the leadership gap and create a more equitable society for women and girls.
- Nominee must support policies, practices, attitudes, and/or actions that are intended to produce equitable outcomes for women and girls connected to the SDGs and the Beijing Platform for Action.
- Nominee must have demonstrated success in empowering women and girls in her projects.
- Nominations are open to women from all regions.
The NGO Committee on the Status of Women, NY (NGO CSW/NY) is one of the three women’s committees of the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the UN (CoNGO). Under CoNGO’s umbrella, the NGO CSW committees helped plan the NGO Forums at the UN World Conferences in Mexico, Copenhagen, Nairobi, and Beijing. NGO CSW/NY is a volunteer-based, non-profit NGO funded largely by individual contributions.