Establishing a Paralegal Institute in Nigeria

nigeria

(Olayemi Akinwunmi) #1

My organization (Pralarg) is working on a process to establish Institute of Paralegal and Human Right Studies in Nigeria, where stakeholders can come together for research purposes and advocate for criminal justice reform. Our criminal justice needs urgent reformation, I can go on and on about the shortcomings in the system. We can not do this alone, we need assistance in developing the curriculum, stages, process, seminars, workshops and global acceptable format of the proposed program.

(Michael Otto) #3

Hi @OlayemiAkinwunmi, this is an interesting initiative you are working on in Nigeria. I am sure @fatimaadamu, @OreOhimor, and @princeisraelorekha would be interested to hear more as they are all working in the paralegal sector in Nigeria as well. In another topic they have already been discussing formal recognition of paralegals in Nigeria here in our community discussions:

Also worth noting here is that our friends at ACAOSA and Nadcao in South Africa have created the first annual Dullah Omar School for community based paralegals this past March. They envision this school to act as the Sub-Saharan Africa region centre for research, documentation, and paralegal training. You can read more about the school here: http://nadcao.org.za/report-on-dullah-omar-school-2015/. @simbongilekamtshe @KhanyisileNtsenge, @SinazoM, do you have any thoughts on the process of opening up the Dullah Omar School for community-based paralegals for our Nigerian colleagues?

(Abiodun Baiyewu) #4

Hello Olayemi Akinwunmi, Global Rights has done extensive work supporting paralegal organizations in Nigeria. We will be happy to provide you with technical support, and to offer our training manuals to you free. The good thing about our training modules is that they are also available in Hausa just incase you are interested in serving the demography in the north of the country.

Fatima Adamu from IWEI will also be happy to tell you more about the Kampala declaration and the lessons learned so far.

Great initiative!

(Tobias Eigen) #5

4 posts were split to a new topic: Challenges facing paralegals in Zimbabwe

(Olayemi Akinwunmi) #7

I am happy to hear this @Abi Abiodun Baiyewu, we have concluded the first batch of the training with 20 students, it was a great experience for all the participants while we continue to create synergy with other institutions. we call the school, Pralarg Institute of Paralegal and Human Right Studies. I look forward to meeting @fatimaadamu very soon.

(Prince Israel Orekha) #9

Great job Olayemi Wish all the best in your intervention. looking forward to work with you in the nearest future.

(Andrew Maki) #11

Dear Olayemi, I hope this note reaches you well. Although I see that I’m joining this conversation chain quite late – would be eager to hear more about your initiative. Where is Pralarg Institute of Paralegal and Human Right Studies based, and what are the main issues/case types that paralegals trained by your organization focus on?

My organization, Justice & Empowerment Initiatives (JEI) – www.justempower.org – trains and supports community-based paralegals from urban slum communities in Lagos and Port Harcourt. We’ve collaborated with IWEI (@fatimaadamu) on paralegal exchanges in the past, in order to share learning locally within Nigeria – would be interested to see if there might be opportunities to do the same with paralegals your organization has trained as well.

Best regards, Andrew

(Fatima Adamu) #12

Hello Andrew, Its been sometime and I see how busy you all are at JEI with the demolitions happening at otodoGbame and Badia East. I reached out to Olayemi last year just some weeks before the paralegal summit in Lagos. When I arrived at Lagos, I tried to get hold of him so I could invite him over to meet everyone but unfortunately I couldn’t. However, I had a brief discussion with @mschapman about him and but I do not know if she remembers. It would be great to meet with him too. We are planning on invading your space with some of our paralegals soon on a learning visit, we would be sending an official request. Ahoy sir!

(Olayemi Akinwunmi) #13

I am so very unhappy reading all your comments now, I wish I had seen this earlier I wish to keep up with you all but am too busy, I guess I am too far from here, its very unfortunate that the project at hand is gone beyond what I can handle single handed, I have to train other comrades to man my radio and television programs. I presently have more than 2500 volunteers but i believe they still have more to learn. I have to travel more frequently now between Nigeria and US for humanitarian purposes. can I send invitation and how, I have a project coming up in June 2018, 65 inmates are graduating in Abeokuta Prisons, I wish some of our Paralegal officers can witness the graduation.

(Olayemi Akinwunmi) #14

Dear Andrew, I am sorry it took me this long to responds, I will get in touch, meanwhile, our website is www.pralarg.org

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step