Fare Thee Well Iconic Jurists: Advocate George Bizos and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

September 2020, is witness to the loss of two esteemed jurists, Advocate George Bizos and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG).

I first came across her name in 2012, during a comparative constitutional law class at Central European University. RGB ‘is’ a revered legal, cultural and feminist icon. She leaves behind a rich legacy!

“Women will only have true equality when men share with them the responsibility of bringing up the next generation,” - Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Adv. Bizos needs no introduction in my part of the world and among human rights advocates. He represented former South African President, Nelson Mandela, at the famous Rivonia trial. In honouring Adv. Bizos, I choose to quote President Mandela’s musings on the Rivonia trial:

“I read that speech, which was challenging to authorities, where I said I have done these things – I have done them because I am a man of principle and therefore I did so consciously because I cannot accept to be treated as inferior to anybody else. So that, more or less, put me in the spotlight,” – President Nelson Mandela

5 Likes