First call, knowing our audiences, and next steps

(Morgan Hargrave) #1

Thank you again for bringing the stories and ideas that made for such an engaging call. The notes from our first call are here, below the agenda and the outline of our trajectory for the year.

One thing that came up a few times on Friday was tailoring our educational content depending on the audience, particularly in Mablu’s presentation but also in the comments from our colleagues in Sierra Leone, Kenya, and Myanmar. It sounds like a few of our teams are working on guidance for paralegals on creating effective messages, so that will be exciting to see.

It reminds me of the metaphor of a ‘ladder of engagement’. People start at the bottom knowing little about an issue, but as they learn more they can ‘move up the ladder’ to understanding the issue, attending meetings, and eventually becoming participants or even leaders in the effort to create change. I wonder if we can chart a similar path of legal empowerment and the ways that our community education and mobilization moves people along at each rung of the ladder. Some of the early steps came up in our conversation already — defining legal empowerment and Namati’s role, then identifying a legal issue, then showing people their rights and the institutions responsible for them, and so on. Does anyone have that journey up a ‘ladder of legal empowerment’ already charted out? Maybe it is a metaphor we can come back to in our next conversation, where we will focus on bridging the gap between knowledge and action.

I will send a separate email to find a date and time for that call, plus some one-on-one check-ins to make sure this group can best support your team’s work on empowerment. In the meantime, please share any thoughts about this topic, our first call, and the outline of the plan for the year.

@wg_empowerment

2 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step