Funding Projects with Trash

Originally published at: https://namati.org/news/funding_with_trash/
I was excited by my visit to Orange Farm in South Africa. This was an opportunity to realize my dream of seeing in person a community paralegal project that could generate its own income. I have worked in the development sector a long time and know that dependence on grants from donors is a constant source of worry for most paralegal projects – the funds are small, inconsistent and require a lot of work to access. Orange Farm is not your typical farm. It is a community project that includes a pre-school, a garbage-recycling center, a farm, a welding project,…

6 Likes

That is great to know. Please I would be very interested to begin such initiative in Nigeria as we are about to start our Paralegal Empowerment Association of Nigeria.

3 Likes

The trick of this success is community ownership. You first need to make the community own the process and the initiative should be owned by them. Secondly, you need to have land to do the project.

4 Likes

Thanks Mustafa, my community will be happy to have this thanks for the information we look forward to partner to achieve this.

2 Likes

Hi Mustafa,

Amazing with your field trip at Orange Farm… that is the answers of sustainability for Paralegal program. We are in Indonesia do this ways to develop an Organic vegetables … Might be you can share more detail about the Orange Farm?

3 Likes

Hello everyone. Community projects are always my passion. I am very interested in being part of the ORANGE FARM PARALEGAL PROJECT. I wish someone could help me join those guys so I can make my own contributions with the wealth of experience that I have. I am Zimbabwean lawyer with more than twenty years experience in law practice as a Magistrate, Prosecutor and Practising Lawyer (Private Practice). The situation in Zimbabwe is not proper at the moment. Such projects can only suffocate. If anyone is interested in me joining that project kindly contact me.

2 Likes

Hi @syarifabadi Thanks for the feedback. I am happy that you are exploring this option for resource generation for your project. I am eager to know how you carryout the organic farming in Indonesia. Is it possible for you to share your experience on how you started the project? I have been exploring how to sustain paralegal projects. I had written another article on sustainability of paralegal project. This article looks at income generating projects in Bangladesh legal aid projects.

I will be more than happy to learn from your experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post, @mustafa_mahmoud - the Orange Farm Human Rights Community Advice Office is quite a popular discussion topic here. We even have Mr. @bricksadvice who started the center here in the Network. :slight_smile:

The first learning exchange included a trip to visit Orange Farm, thanks to @KhanyisileNtsenge and Nadcao in Johannesburg. The site visit left a big impression on all of us and @nobel, @Juves, and @Faith have all been thinking about more innovative ways to make paralegal work more sustainable ever since.

In fact, @syarifabadi’s colleague @BambangPradityo was involved in the second learning exchange and financial sustainability was a common challenge there as well, as it is for much of the legal empowerment field. We have been following the progress of the organized farmers and the organic vegetable market in Jakarta and will be posting about this in an upcoming story too.

@princeisraelorekha, are you in contact with @fatimaadamu in Nigeria? I know IWEI has been looking at economic empowerment projects in their work with paralegals as well.

We are really keen to build on the existing knowledge, experience, and successes within our movement and will continue to share these widely to increase financial sustainability. Keep sharing these stories and experiences as the discussion continues…

4 Likes

Thanks @michaelotto, for the connection i went through the write up the experience shared was wonderful from the experience gather we are discussing on start a fish farmer as a tool for our local paralegel empowerment for advocacy and sustainability.

1 Like