Gender equality

Yesterday at the University of Eastern Africa we hosted a team of Lawyers and a panel dignitaries to discuss about the two-third gender rule (female representation should be highly considered) and the way forward in the upcoming elections in August. However, there was this interesting young man who spoke. I felt it was the voice of reason #genderequality set right by this young leader. He spoke we listened. The representation was in question? where is the representation of the people to be represented in such forums. They should not miss in such dialogues. The proletariats, the hustlers (for lack of a better word), the disabled, GBV/SGBV survivors, immigrants, they were all missing in this "national dialogue ". The men were left out of the equation. Any thoughts about this? @Timotistic12 @MichaelEhiem @Rachele

2 Likes

Linda Makau, I think that young man has made a very good point, we should always have representatives from the Urban poor and disabled and the hustlers and people having challenges with their identities and roles in the affairs of the Government and men too who are partly responsible for gender inequality in our society and Community’s. Most law’s on gender inequality were passed on from generation to generation by old traditional believes that the male child is always the most cherished and the female child is for house responsibilities and bearing children for her husband and until we tackle this problem from the roots, we’ll only have gender inequality in the pages of papers and not the reality of our daily life.

1 Like

Linda,

Thank you very for sharing this. It’s indeed a very good point, and question asked. It is basically possible in real sense to sustainably solve problem for people without their involvement.

But the best practice is to include them. This will pave ways to hear from them. You can also learn from them in the process which can help you better mainstream your planning and implement process, measure the success of your implement and evaluate, the most significant impact from it.

That’s even why the accountability and sustainability of most of our national police implementations are just from the top to the bottom. That is why they are never sustainable. But in actual sense, it should be of two ways.

Leaders should also hold those to account for whom the policies are made. They will be held accountable for its implementations at the grassroots, especially if they’re well represented in the all the stages of planning and implementation.

In short, it’s a serious issue, and the process will not be well implemented, and it will not be sustainable.

If I can have the right make any changes to that decision. I will also ask that let process be put on hold, until those people are well represented.

Once again, thank you.

Lossie.

Young Africans Community Empowerment Initiative, Sierra Leone (YACEI_SL). +232_79780679/+232_88483142

1 Like

Thanks @LindaMakau Representation is everything! It is through representation that great achievements are made in legal frameworks, national polices for supporting people living with disabilities, women empowerment, for fighting racism, xenophobia, and many other national strides.

Even with all this, young boys must not be forgotten. The world is going to a dangerous place because they have been left out of the equation. This is a wide and heavy topic, and I would love to share it with you on a deeper level, but for now, the fight for gender equality must be well balanced!

3 Likes

I fully agree with you. Its high time that leaders stop dwelling in unilateral decisions and embrace representation from all walks of life.

2 Likes

Thanks Rachele. Let us hope for better representation in the future.

3 Likes