GoToWebinar issue - registration form excludes many countries including Tanzania

(Tobias Eigen) #1

:tanzania: Many apologies to @DAVIDYOHANA @Chitung @RamadhanM @SIAYI and other members in Tanzania seeking to register for webinars and not finding your country on the registration form. We have heard your feedback and passed it along to the providers of our webinar system, so far with no response. In the meantime, if you are in Tanzania please pick another country and indicate Tanzania in the comments. Thanks for your understanding!

Webinar: Six questions to ask when using tech to improve access to justice (20 June 2018)
(David Yohana) #2

Your warmly welcome Thanks too for assured me been corrected while I decided to pick other country

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Thanks for your patience, David! We of course love you all in Tanzania :tanzania: and don’t want to leave you out!

I just got off the phone with tech support and they will submit the bug report to their support community, where I am told it will be seen and addressed by their programmers. I hope they prioritize it and will be monitoring it closely, because it’s no good to have a registration form that leaves out an entire country! :crazy_face:

(Tobias Eigen) #4

I looked into this some more and discovered that our webinar service provider is intentionally excluding many countries from their registration form. If you care about this, you can help pressure them to fix it by joining the GoToWebinar support forum and adding a reply to complain about it. Here’s the link:

And here’s my contribution there:

Re: Cannot register for GoToWebinar under Kosovo

@AshC wrote:

We are currently looking to update the restricted country list allowed by our services. I appreciate your patience while we formalize this process for US and International requirements.

OK, this is becoming a deal killer for my organization, and you really need to fix this or at least provide an explanation for why you are excluding countries. I am hearing hints in this topic that it is about sanctions but that honestly makes zero sense to me. You need to explain. This is not a minor bug but an insult to people in the many excluded countries. We are receiving alot of complaints!

There are 30 replies to this thread dating back to 2015 (!!) so this is not a new problem. You need to address it, and urgently.

Here are some solutions you can consider.

1. The best seems to be to allow organizers to edit their own country list based on a default provided by GoToWebinar. Also allow sort order to be changed (not all communities need or want USA and Canada at the top of the country list)
  2. You can also choose an official list and explain in your interface why you chose it, or link to a fuller explanation in your FAQ. For example, in my organization we follow this UN Country Classification list which is not perfect either (I know Palestine and South Sudan are missing) but is otherwise fairly complete.
  3. The worst best option is to add an “other country” option to the list.
  4. Allow a new type of custom question with long list of pulldown options, preferably allowing copy/paste of externally prepared list of selectable options along the lines of the WordPress gravity forms plugin.

Reading through this thread, I see that the following countries are excluded from the country pulldown - I may be missing some so let me know!

• Afghanistan
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Kosovo
  • Montenegro
  • State of Palestine
  • Tanzania

Thanks!

(Ramadhan Masele) #5

That is what i have done, registered as American but have indicated that i am from Tanzania Great

(Mary Oyier) #6

Good morning Let Tanzanians Pick Kenya :joy: For even their first president Mwalimu Nyerere once said Nairobi is all they need @tobiaseigen

(Tobias Eigen) #7

Thanks for the amusing suggestion, Mary! Glad you are willing to help out your neighbors. :wink:

I posted another update to the GoToWebinar community forum - see below. I have now counted up to 18 countries that are excluded from their country list, including many countries represented in the Global Legal Empowerment Network. If I don’t hear from them by next week I’ll make a change to our setup so we do not exclude anyone.

Amazing. I just got another complaint about another country missing from the list - Democratic Republic of the Congo. I had a look at the available countries and am just amazed. How can Antarctica, a continent, be listed as a country but not DRC? Aruba is also listed, which is part of the Netherlands.

I’m super curious to understand now how this country pulldown came to be and am eager to hear from the providers. If there is no news, I will change the field options on my forms to make country a free text field instead of a pulldown. This will be cumbersome to manage so I will also start looking at alternative systems for managing the webinar process. GTW is great for organizing webinars but it’s not the only game in town.

Out of curiosity, I compared GTW’s country list against ours, which is based on a list of UN recognized countries. Below is the full list. (-) indicates the country is on our list but missing from GTW. (+) indicates it’s on GTW but not on our list. Many Caribbean islands are included, but an astounding 18 United Nations recognized countries are missing.

select to expand and see full country list
  • (-) Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • American Samoa
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • (+) ANGUILLA
  • (+) ANTARCTICA
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • ARUBA
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Bermuda
  • Bhutan
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Botswana
  • (+) BOUVET ISLAND
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Cape Verde
  • Cayman Islands
  • (-) Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Chile
  • China
  • (+) CHRISTMAS ISLAND
  • Colombia
  • Comoros
  • Congo Republic
  • (+) COOK ISLANDS
  • Costa Rica
  • Côte d'Ivoire
  • Croatia
  • (-) Cuba
  • (-) Curaçao
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • (-) Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Denmark
  • Djibouti
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • East Timor
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • (+) Falkland islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France
  • (+) French Guiana
  • French Polynesia
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • (+) GIBRALTAR
  • Greece
  • Greenland
  • Grenada
  • (+) GUADELOUPE
  • Guam
  • Guatemala
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • (-) Iran
  • (-) Iraq
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • North Korea
  • South Korea
  • (-) Kosovo
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • (-) Libya
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • (+) MACAU
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Malta
  • Marshall Islands
  • (+) MARTINIQUE
  • Mauritania
  • Mauritius
  • (+) MAYOTTE
  • Mexico
  • Micronesia
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • (+) MONTSERRAT
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Myanmar
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • Nepal
  • Netherlands
  • (+) NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
  • (+) NEW CALEDONIA
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • (+) NIUE
  • (+) NORFOLK ISLAND
  • (-) Northern Mariana Islands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palau
  • Panama
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • (+) PITCAIRN
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Puerto Rico
  • Qatar
  • (+) REUNION
  • Romania
  • Russian Federation
  • Rwanda
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • (-) Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Sao Tome and Principe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • (-) Sint Maarten
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • South Africa
  • (-) South Sudan
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • (-) State of Palestine
  • (-) Sudan
  • (+) ST. HELENA
  • Suriname
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • (-) Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • (-) Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • (+) TOKELAU
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Uruguay
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • (-) Virgin Islands, British
  • Virgin Islands, U.S.
  • (+) WESTERN SAHARA
  • Yemen
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step