How can we train people with basic education to understand and use complex laws?

(Nani Zulminarni) #21

Hello Tina The idea of train the youth to become paralegal is interesting. However, in many context youth are not interested, and we only have grass root women who have very limited formal education background to support the poor community. But, I agree that if we still can, have youth to be part of paralegal movement is great.

nz

(Nani Zulminarni) #22

Thank you Shaveta I agree that the innovation is key in this kind of circumstances. And several friends already give some clear example of different innovation which inspired me. And I think you make very good point that we have to follow up the training with follow up work - can be in different approach.

nz

(Chinga Govhati) #23

Thanks so much @marlonmanuel. This is helpful indeed and the approach can help in identifying advocacy issues around law/policy reforms

(Alice Goldenberg) #24

@kanchikohli This resource provides a great example of using innovative techniques to teach those with basic education how to understand the law and be able to access and use it to achieve their desired results. Thanks for sharing!

(Alice Goldenberg) #25

@Zia_Uddin I agree with @naniz and think the idea of using mobile apps for training is very interesting. Do you have any examples or tips on how one could work to create these?

(Ye Yinth) #26

It is really interesting to use mobile technology and apps for awareness raising and training. In Myanmar, the cost of sim card in black market used to be over 4500 USD in 1999, over 1300 USD in 2010, and over 500 USD in 2012 because of the limited quota system.

Now the country opened up in communication sector, mobile phone sim cards with enabled data service are now available for everyone with a costs around 1.3 USD. With the availability of cheap sim cards and cheap china made touch screen phone, social media “Facebook” is now popular in Myanmar.

Namati Myanmar has been using Facebook as one of the learning and sharing platforms as we created both close group and public page for two way discussions and learning exchange in local language. All team member of Namati Myanmar, partners and paralegals are making it alive. @nyinyihtwe, Program Associate of Namati Myanmar is moderating it.

@nantthithioo, Programme and HR Associate and @caitlinpierce, Policy Advisor of Namati Myanmar is also creating new initiative and collaborating with tech. organization to contribute land rights information and related laws in the application called " iWomen ".

iWomen inspiring women is a free mobile application developed by Myanmar tech women for Myanmar rural women. iWomen app connects women living in rural villages across Myanmar to inspire, foster self-belief, and channel mentorship into their daily lives as their expand their role in public and private spheres to become respected leaders in their communities.

(Nant Thi Thi Oo) #27

iWomen app is a joint initiative of UNDP Myanmar and May Doe Kabar National Network of Rural Women. The Network connects over 2000 Self-Reliant Groups, formed under the Human Development Initiative Programme, and their township federations in 31 townships across Myanmar, with a membership of 22,000 women.

Please look more detail in iwomen.

(Musa Ngangala) #28

Paralegals are now available in our community, but they don’t have enough knowledge to work in community and they mostly need refresher training to update their knowledge. In that way which methodologies will be friendly to our paralegals

(Paul Mabu) #29

that is true@mussa but as a paralegal we must searching and learning through Internet and share information to other paralegal from different country in the world

(Tobias Eigen) #30

@ngangalas welcome to the network, and thanks for writing your post. You are among friends here! :two_men_holding_hands: :two_women_holding_hands:

I have joined your topic with this, very similar one - you can then catch up here on what has been said already and add your thoughts/questions/ideas. We can learn and grow together. :seedling:

Welcome @paulmabu! Also very glad to meet you here and to read your reply to Mussa. I agree with you! The Global Legal Empowerment Network is all about enabling paralegals and other practitioners to learn and share together, no matter where they are in the world.

Many of the challenges you yourself face in your own community are the same challenges faced by other network members. This is a great place to talk about what you are trying to do, your successes so far, and the challenges you are facing.

(Paul Mabu) #31

thanks @tobiaseigen

(Tobias Eigen) #32

Hi everybody! I updated @naniz’s original post at the top to add the following summary written up by @alicegoldenberg. Thanks again everyone for your very thoughtful contributions. Do feel free to keep the conversation going, in particular to share your experience implementing these ideas. We can also always update the summary as we move along. :seedling:

(Nani Zulminarni) #33

Thank you Alice and Tobias for the summary of rich discussion we have. This is very useful. I take note on some ideas and tools shared in the discussion, and certainly will try it out with our Pekka community. I would like to thank to each of you for the contribution in the discussion and share your thoughts, ideas, and experiences. I look forward for further discussion on different topic. And will be in touch if I have further questions regarding the tools, ideas, and concept shared in the discussion, when I try to adapt it in the field. wish you all the best. Thank you NAMATI for provide this space.

nz

(S. Ali Khan) #34

If I am understanding Paralegals post correctly, it has asked for what we call an effective ‘teaching methodology’ in order to make ordinary people with basic education understand local laws that are affecting their lives. I would proceed with giving some seemingly simplistic suggestions based on my teaching and informal consultancy services in one of least educated and backward areas of Pakistan. First, please note that ‘normally’ laws reflect customary/traditional or logical ways of doing thing in respective societies since they affirm local values and, therefore, they should be easy to understand. In my field of work, I was trying to help ordinary and often poor & illiterate citizens know their rights against any transgression by police or government officials by making them understand the relevant laws and remedial procedures. I found out that most of my audience were unable to grasp and/or, more importantly, retain the information. By trial and error, I gathered that if I help them ‘enact’ the situations where relevant laws were applicable, they would not only understand and retain the information but were also forthcoming in correcting themselves. Example: X wants to file this or that. What he/she would need to do first? (he/she would go to Y) X come to Y’s office/desk to file a complaint or an application, what would Y do? (accept or reject? What grounds? Checklist?) So what X should have checked before going to Y? (documents ABC?) Y accepts. OK. Y Rejects (Why? Remedial Measures? Other venues?) and so on.

(Nadia Gul) #35

The goal is to eliminate all barriers for paralegals in order to achieve learning to ameliorate their knowledge and skills. Inclusion promotes quality and equity education for all, without any type of barrier or exclusion, including those who may be potentially marginalized due to disability, gender, emotional/ behavioral problems, family background, ethnicity, giftedness, migrants, poverty, hearing or visual impairment, language delay, among others. This is a big challenge for all but, it is an opportunity to advance the learning system as a change factor that promotes dialogue and participation, making possible well-being through an education of quality for all without exception, for the commitment of the community. The knowledge, skills and attitudes for all inclusion Trainer must emphasize that the purpose of all Trainer interventions is the paralegals’ learning and to enhance their skills. They also need to have high expectations for all (inclusive vision), develop inclusive projects including diverse training strategies and support systems (inclusive practices) and participate in a collective work (inclusive language).

There are following three identified important educational aspects that every Teacher/Trainer needs to be inclusive:

(1) Equality: Promoting the same opportunities for all.

(2) Quality: Offering functional and meaningful learning.

(3) Equity: Responding to special educational needs.

Trainers are the key to success in inclusion for paralegals. Here, seven essential components suggested for Teacher/Trainer’s Preparation Programmes can be used to train people/paralegals regarding basic education to understand and use complex laws are delineated underneath:

(i) Include subjects with high social and community content.

(ii) The Inclusive Teacher/Trainer recognizes individual differences and implements learning strategies for all.

(iii) The collaborative work among educators.

(iv) The interpretative and critical paradigms.

(v) Contextual Preparation.

(vi) Cross Categorical/Multi-tiered formation.

(vii) Mentoring.

(Tobias Eigen) #36

Hi @Nadia_Khan! Thanks for contributing to this topic. :sunflower:

I think you are referring to a website about inclusive education (maybe this one?) in your post. Please edit your post to separate the points you are making to reply to the discussion that has already taken place and which text you are quoting from a website to support your points, and indicate the link to the website. That way you can contribute to the base of knowledge here in this great topic for everyone to use to improve their paralegal programs at the grassroots.

Please review the community guidelines when you get a chance, and let me know if you have any questions about quoting and linking features in the post editor. Thank you! :seedling:

(Seri Hegame) #37

congratulations to everyone for expressing a few. Papua First Nation will benefit vernacular language being the main focal point for dissemination workable procedures run from a village or settlement up so translation of scripts may be one such program similar to the Jehovah Witness messages using local talent. everyone done a wonderful contribution to this topic and it is healthy for the benefit of everyone. The administrators will see it from a practical perspective and adaptation in logistic framework but we cannot please everyone

(Madeline Gunderson) #38

I’ve enjoyed reading this thoughtful discussion, it seems that many here think that paralegal training, supervision & development are important to focus on when designing a legal empowerment program.

At Namati, we are always looking to learn from other members so that we can choose which opportunities to prioritize and therefore how to best benefit the network. Let us know! If you have not already, please take 5-10 minutes to fill out this quick 10 question survey to help understand how we can better work together to build a movement for legal empowerment in 2019.

(Bernard ThankGod) #39

The link isn’t working please

(Tobias Eigen) #40

Hi Bernard! You’re right. That link to iwomenapp.org no longer is available. I’m not sure - @nantthithioo do you have a lead? Has the program ended?

I found another link on the UNDP website, which provides some helpful info about it. Myanmar: iWomen | UNDP in Asia and the Pacific

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step