Increasing Community Resilience for River Flood Hazard: A Comparative Mix-Methodology Approaches of Sustainable Social Justice and Development Policy between Downstream District of Malaka of Western Timor Island and East Sumba Island, Indonesia

I am Dr. rer. nat Apolonia Diana Sherly da Costa, B.Ed (S.Pd), M.Sc, an Indonesian, a lecturer and researcher at the Center of Environment and Urban Studies of Master Program in Environment and Urban Studies (Program Magister Lingkungan Hidup dan Perkotaan or PMLH). Currenly, I am working my Postdoctorate Fellowship at the Department of Environment and Planning, University of Aveiro Portugal while leading my local initiative group in flood hazardous area in two Islands in East Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia i.e., Western Timor Island and East Sumba Island, called “Resilience for Sustainable Development-Based Environment (RESUDENVI) or Ketahanan untuk Keberlanjutan Pembangunan Berbasis Lingkungan Hidup (K2PLH)”. Its headquarters is located in Malaka District of Western Timor Island. My research expertise lies on interdisciplinary social geography and social environmental studies including flood disaster risk management and building community resilience, and sustainable livelihood development and sustainable development. The main organization or institution i represented to join this Legal Environment Justice Network is to seeking wider networks and connections as well as partnerships to strenghten our Research Center PMLP in Central Java Island that is well cooperated with the RESUDENVI Program in Western Timor Island, Indonesia. A strong network, connection and partnership provides a chance for us and could help improve our sistematically sub-program and research activities relate to humanity, risk management, social, traditional or cultural, and economic environmental justices, and policy as well as sustainable development for a prosperous life of human being in Indonesia particulary and in Global World generaly. We do not want hunger, poverty, illiteracy, and disasters and any conflicts in urban and rural areas in Indonesia and other countries in this century, especially during this pandemic, to be the benchmarks for the progress of human civilization. The benchmarks for the progress of human civilization must indeed be moved within the humanitarian movement and must be accompanied by social justice on a large scale now. We both appreciate the collaborative process towards future achievements. Achieving the advancement of human civilization requires real action together, including through my involvement in representing my institution for this network, being able to expand the connectivity that is tightly and well intertwined where the future prospects for sustainable development must be based on high human values and not half-heartedly doing the collective action and struggle. Because the essence and purpose of being together in our process of action determines the future of prosperity, wealth, intelligence, and security and freedom, rights to free from hunger, poverty, illiteracy, and disasters and conflicts anywhere in the world. Thus, the current generation of human civilization can be an example and role model for the next generation.

1 Like