Join us at the UN General Assembly or take part at home

This September 25th, at the United Nations General Assembly, world leaders and grassroots justice defenders will mark the 10th anniversary of the Commission on Legal Empowerment for the Poor (CLEP 10). This is a landmark moment to spotlight the work of our community from the last decade and call for increased support to finance and protect grassroots justice defenders.

At the UN General Assembly, there will be a high level event where heads of state will be presented with our global petition which outlines our communities demands to increase financing and protections for grassroots justice defenders. Please sign our petition and share with everyone you know! Click to share on Twitter

Later in the week, civil society and governments will also come together to ratify and encourage uptake of the Escazu Agreement, the first legally binding environmental rights agreement that will help prevent and punish attacks against environmental defenders, and make it easier for millions of people to access environmental information and participate in the making decisions that affect their lives.

Are you going to be in New York for UNGA?

Let us know if you are going to be in New York by filling in the poll at the bottom or replying to this topic. We would love to invite you to join in the celebrations and to participate in other events that we hear about.

Not in New York but still want to mark the 10th Anniversary?

To coincide with the CLEP 10 anniversary, we are promoting 10 days of action. Over the 10 days, network members will be supported to organize national activities that advance advocacy goals on increasing financing and protection for grassroots justice defenders, and to work with media partners to spotlight the campaign’s core asks.

There are a number of ways that you can participate in the 10 days of action. These include:

• A high level meeting between civil society and policy makers - civil society can share the global policy brief, petition and/or relevant national advocacy papers.
  • Convene donor organisations to discuss challenges around financing access to justice and to brainstorm ways more financing can be dedicated to grassroots justice defenders in your country.
  • Convene civil society organisations to celebrate the work of grassroots justice defenders, to discuss remaining challenges and to plan campaign activities to overcome these challenges.
  • Host a public walk to mobilise and celebrate your community and to draw attention to remaining challenges being faced by grassroots justice defenders
  • Host a press conference or take over a TV show/radio program to discuss the CLEP anniversary and share storiesof success and challenges being faced by grassroots justice defenders.

The Justice For All campaign team will shortly be sharing a how to pack to support national efforts, which will include a global policy brief, posters and graphics, press release, social media pack and other useful tools.

The 10 days of action will kick off at the 10th Anniversary of the Commission on Legal Empowerment for the Poor and run for the following 10 days September 25, 2018 (Europe: Paris), September 25, 2018 (America: Los Angeles) → October 6, 2018 (Europe: Paris), October 5, 2018 (America: Los Angeles). We recognise that some national meetings may fall outside of this timeline to better align with national moments or activities. If you have existing activities planned during September/ October that could be a part of the Justice For All campaign we would be happy to support and promote these activities.

Themes

During the 10 days of actions we want partners to focus on the most pressing justice issues in your national context. In some cases partners may wish to keep the discussion focused broadly on access to justice, in others cases partners may wish to focus on one specific theme or issue area. We encourage you to do what works best to advance your national advocacy goals on increasing financing and/or protection for grassroots justice defenders. Some of the themes our partners will be focusing on over the 10 days of action include:

• Environmental justice
  • Community land rights
  • Gender based violence
  • Citizenship and legal Identity
  • Economic inequality
  • Forced labour and modern day slavery

Can you join us at the UN General Assembly or take part at home?

• Yes, I will be in New York during the UN General Assembly
  • Yes, I would like to participate in the 10 days of national action that coincides with the UN General Assembly

0 voters

** Please note that unfortunatley we do not have any funding available to bring people to New York

@namati_network

9 Likes

Many many thanks for that message.

I am ready to join to celebrate the 10 anniversary of Justice for all at home.

I will be available to participate fully together with my team.

Wishing you all the best.

2 Likes

It will indeed be a great opportunity to work here in Nigeria with my team here in Nigeria. Thank you.

2 Likes

If you are interested in seeing some of the highlights from last weeks events in New York - check out the following few things here.

A new Justice For All video on the need to finance and protect grassroots justice defenders! Currently being translated into other languages.

A run down on the CLEP 10 Anniversary event in New York, with remarks from the President of Sierra Leone, George Soros, Mary Robinson and many more…! https://twitter.com/i/moments/1044955255484686336

A new article on the Escazu agreement - you can see more on the event on Twitter under the # EscazĂşAgreement

A new article by @maaikedelangen on the CLEP Anniversary
https://medium.com/cic-international-insights/legal-empowerment-justice-and-inclusion-77ee9a54efc5 More to follow from me soon… but if you have not already please take the time to fill in the Think Justice Consultation so that your views can be fed into global recommendations that will be given to world leaders on how they can deliver Justice For All!

@stacey, many thanks for the update. You been silent with me, I hope you are doing well.

Is it find for paralegals to have recommendation letters from Global Legal Empowerment Forum Platform/Network members for their various work in communities.