A year ago, we asked you, the Global Legal Empowerment Network, about the challenges you face in putting the power of the law into people’s hands. Members from 60 countries around the world responded. Two key themes emerged:
- A lack of financing stifles legal empowerment work, and
- Changing social and political environments have made legal empowerment work more difficult.
Based on what you told us, and through a series of in-depth consultation and meetings with key network partners, governments, multilateral institutions, and civil society, the Global Legal Empowerment Network team has been designing a new global advocacy campaign that will help our community overcome these challenges.
Why a campaign? When we come together, our community can achieve amazing things. Our last network campaign, Justice 2015, led to the inclusion of “access to justice for all” in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We want to build on this win. We will seize the global political moment presented by the #sdgs to push for vital justice reforms relating to financing and protection in our members’ countries.
While this is a global campaign, we know that real reform happens at the national and local level. We want this campaign to help you to advance your priorities. The campaign will be customizable so that you can use it based on the needs in your country.
We are delighted for the chance to share the details of the campaign goals and strategy with you.
Campaign name: Justice For All.
The campaign goal: to reduce the global injustice epidemic. Specifically, the campaign will seek to raise financing for access to justice and increase protections for justice defenders.
What we aim to achieve-
At the global and regional level:
- Agree on a figure for the current funding gap for access to justice and create a firm business case for investment;
- Establish a donor support group, made up of governments, philanthropists and private sector partners, to generate billions of dollars for access to justice;
- Generate greater visibility for hundreds of network members who demonstrate courage and innovation in their grassroots work around the world;
- and more!
At the national and local level:
- Increase domestic financing for access to justice in network member home countries - potentially a mix of justice, sectoral and inter-agency commitments in national budgets;
- Increase recognition of justice defenders in national laws or policies in network member home countries ;
- Accelerate progress on access to justice and legal empowerment commitments by using SDG implementation plans, Open Government Partnership National Action Plans, national justice plans and national development plans;
- and more!
To see more information and a longer list of intended outcomes click here.
We will accomplish our goals by campaigning for:
- Increased financing for access to justice and legal empowerment. Specifically:
- Scaled-up, effective public funding for access to justice and legal empowerment at all levels
- Improved coordination and partnerships among government, civil society and the private sector to better utilize existing financing, fill gaps in skills and expertise, and leverage learning.
- Innovative financing, approaches and technologies to help diversify and scale up access to justice efforts.
- Increased protections for justice defenders. Specifically, we will:
- Stand up to those who oppress justice defenders by documenting, spotlighting and speaking out against oppression
- Enhance protections for justice defenders in international and domestic frameworks
- Build trust between governments, civil society and justice defenders through courageous conversations between legal empowerment practitioners, civil society, and decision makers about empowering people to know, use and shape the law.
Are you in?
This 3-year campaign will launch in February 2018 and run through 2020. It will be led by network members. We’d like to know if you are interested in being a part of this campaign.
1. Would you like to work on this campaign in your country? (select as many as you would like)
- I would like to work on increasing financing for access to justice and legal empowerment
- I would like to work on increasing protection for justice defenders
- I would be interested in supporting this campaign at a regional or global level
2. If you have specific ideas about what you would like to do, please write a reply below or message me so we can follow up with you directly.
We look forward to working together in the years ahead to advance justice for all!