Justice trade offs during the Pandemic

Thanks for creating this space. I have been contemplating some of the extreme measures the governments are taking to curb the spread of the virus and below are my key concerns:

Lockdowns and curfews

Several countries have decided to have total lockdowns for the better good. This is a good move by the governments to kill the spread of the virus as human movement facilitates the spread of the virus as it is not airborne and the thinking behind the lockdown is to facilitate the natural death of the virus.

Another move is to have curfews and this is the move that my country Kenya has taken. Where the people are not allowed to be outside after 7:00 pm to 5:00 am except for critical and essential services. As a nation, we have never forgotten and never healed from the scars of the Post-election violence intervention of the police to enforce law and order. Many cases of extra-judicial killings and rape are yet to be prosecuted to date

The sexual violence mirrored widespread violations against women after a disputed 2007 vote, when 1,200 people were killed, HRW (Human Rights Watch) said. At the time, the group documented at least 900 cases of sexual violence but said this was likely an underestimate.

“The new cases related to the August and October 2017 elections demonstrate a disturbing continuum,” Tina Alai, a lawyer with New York-based Physicians for Human Rights.“Police have continued to perpetrate sexual violence against civilians they are obligated to protect,” she said.

My main concern is just like the one above, on all occasions where the police were tasked with protecting the public, they ended up acting contrary to their assignment.

I woke up to some information of two individuals who were shot dead by the police in Rwanda for defying lockdown orders.

Mass surveillance

In Korea, the right to privacy has been limited to allow the state to conduct massive surveillance and at times even make public some private data. This is a bold move where the military and the police are assigned unregulated powers to do mass surveillance on suspected carriers of the virus.

“Now, quarantine officers have maximum power and authority,” said Kim Jun-geun, an official at Changnyeong County who collects information from quarantine officers.

This has worked to curb the virus in South Korea but I believe such maximum powers and authority should be limited. The citizens should have the right to give consent if their information is to be shared by third parties. The rights of the patients are also abused as they have the right to privacy and not have their status disclosed as they could suffer stigma from the public. Given the fact that some patients could be asymptomatic and might not be intentionally spreading the virus and by exposing them they could be exposed to abuse by the general public. We have seen a case where a suspected corona patient was beaten to death by a Mob in Kwale, Kenya. Now imagine if the public had access to data about people who are infected?

Not to sound like a critic during this moment, I just want to request all of us Justice defenders to be on high alert when such drastic measures are enforced for the better good. We should be on high alert to record and document such abuses. The fact that the drastic measures work for us does not mean we suspend human rights.

15 Likes

This is an insightful read. It is inspiring to see Justice defenders as you say anticipating the possible unfortunate consequences of well-intended measures. Thank you for pointing out the realities.

8 Likes

This is a true reality observetion. Those entrusted to enforce measures be taught disciplene first.

4 Likes

This may be difficult to do when the the policies meant to prevent their occurrence are not implemented. Most systems are reactive; in many cases policies are merely written to be displayed as deceitful proof that institutions/organisations have credible systems in place. There would not be as great a need for legal defense or protection of human rights if policies, rules, procedures and regulations were upheld - sadly, the unfortunate realities of the world.

4 Likes

Bro Mustafa. In the Same country with u(kenya) despite this hefty restrictions during this pandemic,at my area mandera town the government has hosted and based a fugitive regional minister from jubaland region of Somalia and they are supporting with military backup to attack the border town of belet hawa in somalis.Kenya government has been keeping this regional forces at this place for the last one month.We share this with kenya national commission on human rights, human rights watch, Amnesty kenya and Haki africa and no communication from any of the above mechanisms.There was an attack carried by this force on somlia armry from thier bases in kenya with backing from kdf.12 kenyans in mandera kenya were injured after this force was overruned by Somalia national army where one kenya succumbed to the injuries.Also one police car was destoyed and another one cuptured by somalia forces, several members of the fugitive minister forces and kdf were injured. Leaders from across the county raised this with the government but no action was taken and this foriegn force is still stationed at where iam writing from.Most of rights defenders in this town who have been following and documenting are feeling the threat of this illegal forces at expenses of the local security.There is a lot of fear,high tensions and displacement from this town to other safer areas including across the borders to Ethiopia. Anyone interested can reach me on (by private message here on the forum).

2 Likes

Very true Mustafa, the peculiar thing is that, when you look around, you Will find out poor grassroots struggling along the roads to escape from the hostile officers before they appear at 7PM. As far as Quarantine is significant, we need on the other hand, a State that pragmatically deals with this pandemic, eventually, people will enjoy a system that cares everyone

1 Like

Just as I had predicted the police couldn’t even try to protect people. They ended up breaking the social distancing rule by bundling people together. Today being day 1 of curfew, the level of police brutality is just beyond imagination.

In Mombasa police beating up people.

So the hospitals might be overwhelmed by people injured by police and wont be able to accommodate critical patients at this rate. Luckily some human rights watch like Muhuri at the coast are following up such cases. The media are also playing a critical role.

May God see us through these trying moments.

3 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step