Leadership discussion

Hi Guys!

How can one change a life of others that find themselves in depression within your community and how can one leave bad habit???

Can somebody please response me!

2 Likes

Hi David - unfortunately, there are lots of people with various kinds of depression, along a wide spectrum of severity, and many bad habits that exist. What specific type of responses or advice are you requesting? You could try searching our resource library for psycho-social resources as a start.

1 Like

Michael Otto,
Thanks so much for guiding me through this path. I am a Liberian from Montserrado County. We are currently running, Volunteering Program for Youth in the PHP Community and in running this program, we’re facing a lot of challenges from community dwellers who have mental challenges. I want to know how we can solve these challenges and make an impact in the lives of others… |

3 Likes

David we have a similar problem in our communities out here in Port-Harcourt Rivers State Nigeria and that’s the influence of drugs on the young people out here. Pair grouping and wrong orientation have affected the youths that you can see 8 out of every 10 youths use drugs daily and the dealers of this products are busy blocking every means to rehabilitate these young men and give them a sense of belonging in the community. We’ve tried police raids on the drug barons but they find their way out with the corruption In the police force and have never been taken to court to account for their illegal trade. I believe we can still win if only we can get an empowerment scheme to pull those youths out of the community and take them out somewhere for rehabilitation and to learn a trade so that they can be saved

2 Likes

Hi David! Nice question :blush:How can one leave a bad habit? The quickest way which is not easy I know, it’s doing the opposite of what you always do for example if you would like to quit drugs, start by befriending those who aren’t on drugs, start by taking new routines that Do not involve chilling with those who do drugs, try this for atleast a month and you will see a difference. As for depression try out some new hobbies and create a community project, cleaning the community, playing sport, creating a community club. Have talks with those who are depressed etc

1 Like

David - this is very unfortunate situation for anybody to find themselves in. I am not an expert in this area but from my experience working in communities of people with a myriad of challenges and addictions I have learnt that the most important thing is to accept that one has a problem and then seek support. So that person must first appreciate that they have a problem that needs to be solved. This admission is the single-most important step because then the affected person is receptive/not hostile to the support system/ long recovery that will process that will be devised to help them. The second step is to seek professional help to offer a holistic intervention to the problem. The third one is to build a network/ fellowship with positive minded persons around the person so that he/ she is able to be happy and have purpose in life . Purposefulness is essential in preventing relapsing.

2 Likes