In October 2016, the Global Legal Empowerment Network and the Namati Community Land Protection (CLP) Program partnered with the Kenya Land Alliance (KLA), Ogiek People’s Development Program (OPDP), and Kivulini Trust to host a learning exchange.
The focus of the exchange was the CLP model for working with communities embodied in the CLP Facilitator’s Guide and the use of paralegals within that model. Some participants are already leading in their community land protection efforts and looking to scale, others are looking to start a program in this direction using CLP’s unique model. Site visits and dialogue exchanges allowed participants to leave with valuable information to incorporate in their future work.
Click here for more detail about Global Legal Empowerment Network Learning Exchanges and to learn about past exchanges held in Bangladesh, Philippines, South Africa and Tanzania.
Twenty organizations were represented at the exchange, hailing from Cameroon, DRC, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
- Abraham, Dalle, Natural Justice: Lawyers for Communities and the Environment (Kenya) @Dalle
- Dokhe, Esterina, National Land Commission (Kenya) @Esterina_Dokhe
- Emmanuel Omiat, Egaru, Uganda Land Alliance (Uganda) @egaruemma
- Golicha, Liban, Kivulini Trust (Kenya) @LibanGolicha
- Koros, Joshua, Kerio Valley Community Organization (Kenya) @JoshuaKoros
- Kyembwa, Tony, Justice Pour Tous (DRC) @jpttony
- Makko, Kondei, Ujamaa Community Resource Team UCRT (Tanzania) @KondeiMakko
- Masoy, Flora, Morogoro Paralegal Centre (Tanzania) @FloraMasoy
- Mutesi, Monica, Civic Response on Environment and Development (Uganda) @mutesim
- Odele, Moe, International Senior Lawyers Project (ISLP) (United States) @Moe_Odele
- Ogina K’odieny, Hillary, Kenya Land Alliance (Kenya) @OginaHill
- Okello, David, Centre for Public Interest Law (CEPIL) (Uganda) @DavidOkello
- Onencan, Paolyel, Buliisa Initiative for Rural Development Organisation (BIRUDO) (Uganda) @PaolyelMPOnencan
- Saiyanka, Parsanka, Il’laramatak Community Concerns (Kenya) @psaiyanka
- Samorai, John Lengoisa, Ogiek Peoples’ Development Program (OPDP) (Kenya) @SAMORAI
- Tingoi, John Ole, Indigenous Movement for Peace Advancement and conflict Transformation (Kenya) @oletingoi
- Usman Ndamba, Musa, MBOSCUDA (Cameroon) @ndambamusa
- Warigia Njoroge, Gladys, Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (Kenya) @GladysWarigiaNjoroge
- Yahya, Jamaldin, Nubian Rights Forum (Kenya) @JamaldinYahya
- Yaile, Timothy Ole, Pastoral Women’s Council (Tanzania) @TimothyYaile