Learning Exchange in Kenya with Namati Community Land Protection (CLP) Program (October 2016)

In October 2016, the Global Legal Empowerment Network and the Namati Community Land Protection (CLP) Program partnered with the Kenya Land Alliance (KLA), Ogiek People’s Development Program (OPDP), and Kivulini Trust to host a learning exchange.

The focus of the exchange was the CLP model for working with communities embodied in the CLP Facilitator’s Guide and the use of paralegals within that model. Some participants are already leading in their community land protection efforts and looking to scale, others are looking to start a program in this direction using CLP’s unique model. Site visits and dialogue exchanges allowed participants to leave with valuable information to incorporate in their future work.

Click here for more detail about Global Legal Empowerment Network Learning Exchanges and to learn about past exchanges held in Bangladesh, Philippines, South Africa and Tanzania.

Twenty organizations were represented at the exchange, hailing from Cameroon, DRC, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.

1. Abraham, Dalle, Natural Justice: Lawyers for Communities and the Environment (Kenya) @Dalle
  2. Dokhe, Esterina, National Land Commission (Kenya) @Esterina_Dokhe
  3. Emmanuel Omiat, Egaru, Uganda Land Alliance (Uganda) @egaruemma
  4. Golicha, Liban, Kivulini Trust (Kenya) @LibanGolicha
  5. Koros, Joshua, Kerio Valley Community Organization (Kenya) @JoshuaKoros
  6. Kyembwa, Tony, Justice Pour Tous (DRC) @jpttony
  7. Makko, Kondei, Ujamaa Community Resource Team UCRT (Tanzania) @KondeiMakko
  8. Masoy, Flora, Morogoro Paralegal Centre (Tanzania) @FloraMasoy
  9. Mutesi, Monica, Civic Response on Environment and Development (Uganda) @mutesim
  10. Odele, Moe, International Senior Lawyers Project (ISLP) (United States) @Moe_Odele
  11. Ogina K’odieny, Hillary, Kenya Land Alliance (Kenya) @OginaHill
  12. Okello, David, Centre for Public Interest Law (CEPIL) (Uganda) @DavidOkello
  13. Onencan, Paolyel, Buliisa Initiative for Rural Development Organisation (BIRUDO) (Uganda) @PaolyelMPOnencan
  14. Saiyanka, Parsanka, Il’laramatak Community Concerns (Kenya) @psaiyanka
  15. Samorai, John Lengoisa, Ogiek Peoples’ Development Program (OPDP) (Kenya) @SAMORAI
  16. Tingoi, John Ole, Indigenous Movement for Peace Advancement and conflict Transformation (Kenya) @oletingoi
  17. Usman Ndamba, Musa, MBOSCUDA (Cameroon) @ndambamusa
  18. Warigia Njoroge, Gladys, Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association (Kenya) @GladysWarigiaNjoroge
  19. Yahya, Jamaldin, Nubian Rights Forum (Kenya) @JamaldinYahya
  20. Yaile, Timothy Ole, Pastoral Women’s Council (Tanzania) @TimothyYaile

@exchange_2015southafrica @exchange_2015philippines @exchange_2015bangladesh @exchange_2016tanzania @exchange_2016kenya @namati_staff

4 Likes

Good stuff , exiting day today and thanks @TobiasEigen for the teaching we have received. off we goooo :airplane:

3 Likes

I am so happy to be part of the learning exchange, looking forward to sharing and learning from like minded individuals!!!

4 Likes

Good stuff! Enjoy your time, everyone! Looking forward to hearing about some of your experiences. :grinning:

2 Likes

Its exciting and we are ready to maximise every moment to learn and share as well.

3 Likes

@dunijeidoh Hey Jeidoh, We are already 2 days into Learning Exchange in Kenya and it’s really exciting learning from others experience and networking.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sharing photos and stories from the learning exchange

Good to know that the learning exchange in Kenya kicked off. I personally know Emmanuel from Uganda and I will indeed learn alot from him when he returns. Tobias good to have you back in Kenya. Bisikwa Barbara

1 Like

Thanks, Barbrah! It’s great to hear you also know @egaruemma - I spent alot of time with Emmanuel during the last two weeks. We went together to visit the Ogiek community and we had many very deep conversations. I’m sure he’ll have alot to say! :slight_smile:

The exchange concluded on Sunday and most participants left yesterday or today to head back home again. I myself unfortunately have to leave Kenya tomorrow. I like being in east Africa! :sunny:

We will be sharing more news about exchange outcomes soon. While this @exchange_2016kenya was focussed on community land protection, the topic also touches on women’s rights and gender, so I very much recommend that all @exchange_2016tanzania participants keep an eye on this group and reach out to participants to share learnings. :nerd:

Dear Tobias, Nice to hear from you about the legal empowerment exchange in Kenya. In Tanzania today we are having the Paralegal forum which its theme is very good one, Innovation in Legal Community Empowerment. I like that. With regards, Blastus

1 Like

that sounds interesting, blastus! please tell us more about it!

1 Like

A wonderful list indeed

1 Like