Learning Exchange in Tanzania on Women's Rights (July 2016)

learningexchange
women

(Tobias Eigen) #1

It’s Mandela Day! I’m honored to be marking the day by joining together with courageous, dedicated community paralegals for a Learning Exchange in Tanzania! Many African countries are represented in the room I am sitting in right now, including Cameroon, Central African Republic, DRC, Kenya, Liberia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We also have @KhinHtetWai from Namati Myanmar here.

Watch this space for more updates from me and fellow participants as the exchange evolves during the next two weeks.

Click here for more detail about Global Legal Empowerment Network Learning Exchanges and to learn about past exchanges held in Bangladesh, Philippines and South Africa.

Here’s the list of participants, which we will update as we move along. They want to hear from fellow network members for sharing, learning and collaboration! Click on their username to learn more about them and get in touch.

1. :sunflower: @BarbrahBisikwa, Uganda Network on Law Ethics and HIV/AIDS (UGANET) in Uganda

Also involved…

###Organizations we learned from

Here is a list of the organizations and offices we met with on this trip, along with affiliated staff who have joined the network. They are eager to connect so feel free to contact them! I will update this list as we move along.

1. :tulip: Asylum Access Tanzania in Dar es Salaam - @nobel

Update July 23: I updated the participant list to add :seedling: (new, still needs to set up profile), :tulip: (well on their way as members, need to add picture or update some details), :sunflower: (completely set up and ready to go). I will update as we go. This will help us to encourage and support them as they join and start participating in network activities.

Update July 29: I have been updating the participant list and now all participants have network membership accounts with photos, and nearly all have added their organizations. :rocket: I also added a list of people who have been along for some or all of the ride but are not technically exchange participants. And finally, I added network profiles for all the organizations we learned from during this exchange and have invited their staff to join the network, and created a list of them above. Note :seedling: :tulip: :sunflower: indicates their status in the network.

NAMATI Learning Exchange visit already yielding results
Request for Women's Rights Webinar Topics and Areas of Interest
Network Members Meet and Greet event in Nairobi on 16 October, 2018
(HamisiMgoya) #2

how can I join this event

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Hi Hamis! Great to hear from you. Your colleague @AndrewExavery is expected to attend on behalf of KAPAO. @Wigayi will get in touch with him directly.

(HamisiMgoya) #5

thanks for the infomation but andrew exavery fron yesterday is sick and he can’t attend the event so as kapao they suggest me to attend that event.

(Tobias Eigen) #6

OK thanks for letting us know. I will connect you directly with @wigayi.

(HamisiMgoya) #7

Thanks @tobiaseigen have a nice event

(Lucia Masuka) #9

I have already a lot just from the presentations given by participants on the work of their organizations.I am sure that we are going to have a fruitful two weeks. I am particularly interested in learning about strategies being used by organizations represented at this seminar in getting their governments to recognise the role of paralegals.

(Benard Mosira) #10

we are doing practice on how to navigate on the the NAMATI web learning exchange at the New Park Hotel

(Tobias Eigen) #11

so lovely to hear from you both @Lucimasu @BenardMosira directly here during the webinar. @Lucimasu you are so right we have already learned so much just in the short time we have had together.

This is a timely and important question for us to discuss! What are the strategies you all use to get their governments to recognize the role of paralegals?

(James Forole Jarso) #12

Great to be in Dar. Too hot both in and outside the room!

(Barbrah Bisikwa) #13

In Uganda the Paralegals who are recognized are the ones who have a post graduate Diploma in Law and discussions are ongoing on whether or not to recognize persons who have basic knowledge of the law as paralegals.

(Duni Jeidoh) #14

Dar Es Salam hosting the NAMATI learning exchange program for this 2016. we have already been excited with the different feed backs from the participants around the world. this is a medium to explore how the common man can use the law to benefit them. am looking at the next days excitements hope they will be like the starting day! Duni Jedoh

(Tobias Eigen) #15

Wow! Altogether, organizations represented in the room today work with a total of 522 grassroots paralegals! @michaelotto tallied it up.

(Tumainiel Mangi) #18

@tobiaseigen as a member of NAMATI from Tanzania i would love to be in the room for learning exchanges in furtherance of legal empowerment in our community.

(Tobias Eigen) #20

We’ve had an excellent orientation, a visit to Women’s Legal Aid Centre (WLAC) featuring an inspiring presentation discussion on WLAC’s programs followed by an extremely delicious and generous “snack” hosted by WLAC. Now we are in Morogoro, a town 169km west of Dar es Salaam at the base of amazing mountains, where we had a similarly engaging discussion with the paralegal organization here. Tomorrow we will do a field visit to observe and meet with paralegals working in a rural grassroots community, and visit local government officials working with paralegals.

To give you a more immediate sense of our experience, here is a quick selection of some of my favorite photos taken so far at the exchange. We will share more as we move along. Enjoy!

(Lucia Masuka) #21

Thank you for the beautiful photos. Today at Morogoro Paralegal Centre what really struck me was the committment that is being shown by the team which is volunteering. These people have dedicated their lives to empowering and defending the rights of the marginalized and vulnerable and they are not paid for the work which they do.This is the direction we should endeavour to take (volunteerism) in light of dwindling donor support.Let us share strategies which we can use to motivate and inspire people to volunteer to empower their communities with legal information and assistance.

(Andrew Exavery) #22

hello@lucimasu all Paralegal in Tanzania they doing their work without paid and free services in the communities that can cause many paralegal unit in Tanzania to drop down from 25 paralegal per one year in one unit up to 3 or 5 paralegal because of lack of funds,stationary coast,rent coast,even lack of transport and support from other institution.

(Lucia Masuka) #23

I know that funding is a challenge but I am still impressed by the fact that there are some staff members who have been volunteering since 1993 and perhaps it is important for us to learn from them what has made them stay for this long.This will help us when coming up with criteria for the selection of paralegals which criteria takes into account factors which ensure that we do not have paralegals who just volunteer for a short time and then leave.

(James Forole Jarso) #24

Thanks Michael, I am James Forole Jarso, a human rights lawyer, CEO & Programs Coordinator for Saku Accountability Forum (SAF). The Forum is a community-based human rights and governance organization working with (and for) over 14 indigenous peoples communities in Nothern Kenya. Legal empowerment is one of our strategic change approaches. I look forward to interacting with other Exchange participants, and to learn from them on how best we can do our community-based legal empowerment work.

(Lucia Masuka) #25

Hello colleagues.My name is Lucia Masuka.I work as the Legal Programmes Director for Legal Resources Foundation which is one of the oldest legal empowerment organisation in Zimbabwe.I am looking forward to meeting you all in Tanzania and to learn from you as well.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step