Legal Empowerment Leadership Course, Session III: Data Collection and Analysis for Advocacy

(Lorraine Swift) #1

Today’s sessions on the use of technology in our community work for training, communications and data collection were inspiring and innovative. This course is truly ahead-of-the-curve in terms of providing cutting edge research and information about the latest innovations in iegal empowerment. BRAVO Team!

The quality of the presenters in this course is second-to-none! The dedication of these seasoned professionals in legal empowerment to share their knowledge with the grassroots practitioners in the room is impressive. Gathered here from nearly 50 different countries, Namati and the CEU has created an impressive think-tank of legal empowerment activists working for change.

Here are some tweets from the data sessions!

(Tobias Eigen) #2

Thanks, Lorraine! I added another tweet that I found to your post above - looks like there has been some active tweeting from the course. Really fun to read back on the tweets from the last few days - hashtag legalempowerment.

My favorite take away about the use of data from today was the notion that “Every story needs a number, every number needs a story”. It is so true that numbers make stories more real and concrete, understandable to the recipient of the story. Likewise knowing the story behind the number, that explains the number, is so important - without it a number is just a number!

(Margaret Satterthwaite) #3

There were so many fantastic discussions about the use of data in legal empowerment today. Thanks so much to all for sharing ideas, critiques, challenges, and experiences! I learned a lot today.

Here’s a link to the toolkit I mentioned on data viz:

John Emerson & Margaret Satterthwaite, “Visualizing Data for Human Rights Advocacy,” Visualizing Data for Human Rights Advocacy: A Guidebook and Workshop Activity

(Margaret Satterthwaite) #4

Some resources on responsible data collection and indigenous data sovereignty:

1. Responsible Data–has an incredible set of resources on specific topics, principles for responsible data, reflections, case studies, and more. https://responsibledata.io/

2. US Indigenous Data Sovereignty Network–“The United States Indigenous Data Sovereignty Network (USIDSN) helps ensure that data for and about Indigenous nations and peoples in the US (American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians) are utilized to advance Indigenous aspirations for collective and individual wellbeing.[1] USIDSN’s primary function is to provide research information and policy advocacy to safeguard the rights and promote the interests of Indigenous nations and peoples in relation to data.” http://usindigenousdata.arizona.edu/

3. Maiam nayri Wingara Indigenous Data Sovereignty Collective and the Australian Indigenous Governance Institute, “Indigenous Data Sovereignty Comminnique”: http://www.aigi.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Communique-Indigenous-Data-Sovereignty-Summit.pdf

(Laura Gyte) #5

Thank you for these resources and a fantastic session!

(Ala Iatco) #6

Margaret, great sources, especially first one, Thank You!

(Pema Choki) #7

Thank you for the great session!

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step