Let's talk about citizenship in Liberia

Can we have a joined awareness on citizenship in Liberia?

1 Like

Hi @koudorkago I would love to know more about the situation in Liberia

Whoa, sorry @koudorkago - I hadn’t seen this message you wrote last year. I moved it into its own new topic so we can focus on it as a community. Do tell us more about the challenges and lessons learned in Liberia dealing with citizenship, statelessness and access to legal identity!

I trust you are keeping well since our learning exchange in Tanzania! I see your messages from time to time on Facebook, but I prefer to connect with you here in the global legal empowerment network. :heart_eyes_cat:

cc: @Bindu @EleaneKeamue

1 Like

Thanks for your post, @koudorkago! I would also be very interested to hear more about citizenship issues in Liberia.

I recently came across this article about a current Supreme Court case on dual nationality - any thoughts on what the implications of the case might be?

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/4160-supreme-court-of-liberia-hears-argument-on-dual-citizenship

I’m interested to learn about the citizenship situation on the ground. The West African region has been very active around issues of statelessness and nationality and I’m curious to hear how that has impacted Liberian communities in their daily lives.

3 Likes

Un sujet aussi important, mais pouvez vous nous donner encore plus de détails sur le Droit de Citoyenneté ?

2 Likes

moderator note: I removed this user’s account because they violated our community guidelines by posting spam links here and in the member directory. I kept the post they made here, anonymized and without the spam link, because it is interesting nonetheless. thank you, spammer! :sunny:

In Liberia you cannot become a citizen if you are non-black. The state was founded by freed slaves and this law was somehow meaningful then. Also foreigners aren’t allowed to own land there.

There are more than 5,000 Lebanese who have lived in Liberia for generations. They are barred from citizenship and, by extension, land ownership.

The new president vowed to change the law calling it unnecessary, racist and inappropriate.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I have a couple of questions: Is land ownership barred for foreigners in cities as well or only in rural areas? Can nationals of other African nations acquire Liberia citizenship? If so, what are the requirements?

3 Likes

Hi Edouard! Great to see you here. Welcome back to our community forum! These are great questions.

Looks like many members are interested in this question of citizenship, and @anon30556687 point is a new one that I had not heard before. If there are any news articles or reports that knowledgeable members can share to explain the details, that would be welcomed I am sure.

Update: there are many interesting links about this topic online, such as this BBC News article. Any members out there who can shed light on specifics as requested by @edyao?

2 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step