Namati and CCSI Launch New Resource: Community-Investor Negotiation Guides

(Rachael Knight) #1

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to share the exciting news of our launch today of two practical, easy-to-read guides written to support communities to prepare for and then negotiate with potential investors seeking community lands and natural resources. Click here to download Guide 1, and here to download Guide 2!

As the human population rises, and climate change dramatically changes local ecosystems, there is more and more competition for fewer and fewer natural resources. National elites and international businesses are increasingly turning to more remote locations to extract minerals, log timber, establish agribusiness ventures, and build hotels and other tourism-related services.

In some legal jurisdictions, communities have the right to Free Prior Informed Consent. However, “community consultations” are often characterized by very significant information and power imbalances: investors may arrive for the first time, accompanied by powerful government officials who only inform the community that an investment is happening and demand an immediate “yes.” Community members - and their leaders - often do not know their rights, or may feel powerless in the face of influential government officials. The consultation may not even take place in the local language, making it very hard for community members to understand what is being discussed.

Potential investors often make elaborate promises of jobs, infrastructure, and rental payments - yet never put these promises into an enforceable contract. Community members may welcome an investment on the assumption that the investor will bring needed jobs and development, yet not know that if these promises are not put in writing, they are absolutely meaningless and may never happen. For example, I led a research study in Mozambique from 2009 – 2011; during interviews with Mozambican community members in the Province of Inhambane, participants asked about their experiences of tourism investments operating in their communities explained:

• “The disadvantage is the dishonesty of the investors who exploit community resources and do nothing in return - they build tourism facilities and make lots of money, but the community gains nothing in return; the investors make promises they never fulfill.”

• “Foreign investors come and, instead of fulfilling their promises, in place of developing the community, they pillage it;”

• “The big disadvantage is that investors never fulfill their promises; they come to our community with their promises, they come to make money using our resources, but they never turn their promises into a reality;”

• “The disadvantages of having an investor exist when the investor does not fulfill his promises and begins to dictate his own rules in the community that are harmful to members of the community, or when the investor begins to arbitrarily create boundaries, closing our roads and not giving us access to our resources located the areas occupied by the investors. Investors forget that these resources are the community’s and are not his private property.”

Because none of these communities had a contract with these investors, they were powerless to take the investor to court to fulfill unwritten promises made during the “consultation.”

After searching in vain for a short, easy-to-read guide for communities about how to negotiate contracts with potential investors, Namati and the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI) decided to take on the challenge of writing these guides ourselves! Our intention for these guides is that communities and their advocates can use them to push for enforceable community-investor contracts that genuinely lead to local prosperity and well-being.

Guide 1 is designed to prepare communities in advance for contract negotiations - it details how they can:

• Make rules to guide how they and their leaders will interact with investors;
  • Understand the value of their land to them, so they know how to assess the investor’s offers of financial payment;
  • Resolve conflicts around how to react to potential investors - as community members often have different opinions on what is best for the community; and
  • Prepare for negotiations by researching the investor, creating a negotiating team, and agreeing on points the team will advocate to be included in the contract.

It also details community members’ legal rights and explains what should happen in an authentic “consultation.”

Guide 2 is designed for communities who have agreed to negotiate with a potential investor and are beginning contract negotiations. It describes the sections and clauses that should be in a contract, advises what protective language to include, and warns against “red flag” language (taken from real contracts!) to avoid.

Please share your own experiences with investor-community interactions. Have you seen any community-investor contracts? If you have any, please attach the contracts to this discourse thread, or send them along to me at rachaelknight@namati.org. If you have supported communities to have positive experiences with investors, please share your successful strategies: how did community members ensure that the investment benefited – rather than impoverished – the community? Or, if you have observed instances of national investors abusing their power and authority to grab community lands in bad faith – please share those stories as well.

Finally, if you download these guides and try out some of the exercises or use them to help support a community to negotiate a better contract, please write back to this discourse thread and let us know how it went!

In solidarity,

Rachael Knight

Senior Advisor for Land, Namati

(Tobias Eigen) #5

Congratulations and thank you, @rachaelknight, for publishing this important resource! I do hope those who use it share their experiences here, and strategies that work.

We are receiving responses to the helpdesk email account, in response to the mailing we sent featuring this resource. I’ll add it below.

Received via email from @nelson:

Hi Rachael

I hope to meet you well.

I right to thank so much to share with me these guides, will be useful for me that i´m working with communities that are receiving in their areas investors in north of Mozambique.

Muito obrigado

Nelson

And from @Danielfavour of Action for Development of Local Communities (ADOL) in Uganda: :uganda:

My CBOwould really need these investors

from @OginaHill, Social Cartography Officer at Kenya Land Alliance:

thanks Rachel and Congratulations for this

from @pele in Cameroon: :cameroon:

Dear Rachael,

Thanks for the informations

Best regards

from @Dharm in Nepal: :nepal:

Dear Rachael,

Greetings from Nepal.

Thank you very much for sharing the this document. it seems very important and interesting.

Thank you!

With Regards,

Dharm

From @tamanwillieonesmas of Mere-Sauwia in Vanuatu: :vanuatu:

Thank you very much for this very important tools kits information. Will help a lot n many communities were there is no clear understanding on how to handle a contract between a community and a foreign investor.

very interesting and useful information.

From @mfuentes of Guatemala Visible: :guatemala:

Hello Marlon!

Thank you very much for the guides.

I will share them with some colleagues that work in the investment and competitivity sector.

May I tell him to join the conversation? he may have some success experiences advicing small entreprenurship comunities.

yours

Maria

From @Divine in :congo_kinshasa:

Thank you for the information!

Can you send them to us in French?

English is still difficult for us.

Thank you.

From @iochieng of Ugunja Development Initiative in Kenya: :kenya:

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for such wonderful Ideas. I am in the process of establishing the area advisory council in one of the Health Facility as a bench mark for the rest of the HFs within the sub county and county to adopt. Your advice are welcomed.

Regards

Isaiah

(Philiswa Gwazela) #6

Dear Rachel

I think the issue of land affects us all as it seems now as the Global issue though closer to the villages we work there is still a great need to educate people about their rights.

Best
Philly
South Africa

(YAH VALLAH PARWON) #7

Thank you for sharing this important resource. I’m a member of the women land rights taskforce of Liberia and this resource is timely as Liberia’s Land Rights Bill was passed into law by the house of legislature this week.

Civil Society was happy to see that our FPIC recommendation was considered and included in the law after many years of advocacy . The house has forwarded the law to our president for execution and we are keeping our fingers crossed.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step