New Funding for Crowdsourcing Projects on Sustainable Development Goals

In 2015, the United Nations is announcing seventeen Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for the world. Access to Justice, Land Rights, Health, Environment and Women’s Rights are all tackled within the SDGs. Success at implementing the SDGs by 2030 could put the planet on the right course for the rest of the century. Failure could result in a breakdown of trust in global initiatives and cynical pursuit of self-interest by nations and corporations.

One way to ensure SDGs are achieved is to establish an independent means for verifying that all stakeholders – governments, corporations, NGOs and international organisations - live up to their promises. This requires harnessing the grassroots efforts of concerned citizens on a global scale.

To ignite this effort, ONE, the Citizen Cyberscience Centre and the Crowdcrafting platform for open research - is launching The Open Seventeen, a challenge to develop crowdsourcing projects that tackle SDGs using open data.

How does this challenge work?

You can pitch a crowdsourcing project that tackles any of the 17 SDGs, at either a local, regional or global level, and tell us what open data set could be analysed for this purpose. Projects proposed for the challenge should have clear and realistic goals, and build on existing open data sets.

We will select three proposals and work with you to create crowdsourcing projects based on these. The winners and their projects will be profiled by ONE in upcoming international events related to the launch of the SDGs. See more at: http://openseventeen.org

@abigailmoy @michaelotto please share/tag any organisations you think could be eligible. @MARLON_J_MANUEL if there are any organisations working on the Quezon City JSCC Justice Zone project, I think this could be a really good fit.

3 Likes

Amazing initiative! I will contact and get in touch with some recent groups that would be a perfect fit for this.

I know that @Rahmawati_Putri and @zannatborna know of one in Naga City, Philippines, but they would have to give more information (and maybe email them or Dave at Saligan this topic?).