The following resources were just launched by the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) and look to be immensely useful in better understanding accountability within investment processes. @vivekmaru wanted me to highlight these resources with @marenabrinkhurst to @namati_staff, and I am sure others like @sam_szoke_burke would be interested as well based on his recent post: Guidance on agreements with investors
IIED’s Lorenzo Cotula sent the reports with the following message:
I am delighted to announce a new set of reports on Land investments, accountability and the law, based on research in Cameroon, Ghana and Senegal.
The recent wave of agribusiness investments prompted renewed calls for accountability in the governance of land and investment. Legal frameworks influence opportunities for accountability, and recourse to law has featured prominently in grassroots responses to the land deals.
The reports develop a conceptual framework for understanding accountability, and explore how the law enables, or constrains, accountability in investment processes.
They were prepared as part of a project implemented by Dakar-based IED Afrique, Kumasi-based LRMC, Yaoundé-based CED and IIED, and funded by IDRC.
The project develops tools to improve accountability in investment processes, including through supporting paralegals and ‘junior lawyers’ and establishing locally negotiated agreements to make authorities more accountable.
Hope you find this research useful. If you are interested in receiving IIED’s Legal Tools newsletter, please sign up at http://www.iied.org/sign-up.
Here are the links to the resources published in our resource library:
- https://namati.org/resources/investissements-fonciers-redevabilite-et-cadre-legal-lecons-dafrique-de-louest/ (French)
- https://namati.org/resources/land-investments-accountability-and-the-law-lessons-from-west-africa/ (English)
- https://namati.org/resources/land-investments-accountability-and-the-law-lessons-from-cameroon/ (English)
- https://namati.org/resources/investissements-fonciers-redevabilite-et-cadre-legal-lecons-du-cameroun/ (French)
- https://namati.org/resources/land-investments-accountability-and-the-law-lessons-from-ghana/ (English)
- https://namati.org/resources/investissements-fonciers-cadre-legal-et-redevabilite-lecons-du-ghana/ (French)