New IIED resources on land investments, accountability and the law in West Africa

The following resources were just launched by the International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) and look to be immensely useful in better understanding accountability within investment processes. @vivekmaru wanted me to highlight these resources with @marenabrinkhurst to @namati_staff, and I am sure others like @sam_szoke_burke would be interested as well based on his recent post: Guidance on agreements with investors

IIED’s Lorenzo Cotula sent the reports with the following message:

I am delighted to announce a new set of reports on Land investments, accountability and the law, based on research in Cameroon, Ghana and Senegal.

The recent wave of agribusiness investments prompted renewed calls for accountability in the governance of land and investment. Legal frameworks influence opportunities for accountability, and recourse to law has featured prominently in grassroots responses to the land deals.

The reports develop a conceptual framework for understanding accountability, and explore how the law enables, or constrains, accountability in investment processes.

They were prepared as part of a project implemented by Dakar-based IED Afrique, Kumasi-based LRMC, Yaoundé-based CED and IIED, and funded by IDRC.

The project develops tools to improve accountability in investment processes, including through supporting paralegals and ‘junior lawyers’ and establishing locally negotiated agreements to make authorities more accountable.

Hope you find this research useful. If you are interested in receiving IIED’s Legal Tools newsletter, please sign up at http://www.iied.org/sign-up.

Here are the links to the resources published in our resource library:

West Africa

Cameroon

Ghana

Senegal

4 Likes

Thanks @michaelotto! The Ghana section by Erik and Mark especially piqued our interest.

1 Like

Well thank you for this contributions;however,there exists a very big differences of Legal application and Education in a developed world;than our developing or the said underdeveloped.Mpore Resources ana Law Educational materials are highly needed.I look upon these differences such as practical legal education, particularly clinical education, field work, street law, pro bono service, legal advice, simulations, placements/internships, moot courts and mock trials, problem-based learning, case analysis, group work, role-play, and brainstorming SOME LIVE-Family Court is very interesting.Looking as in our country I do not think if there is Community FREE Legal Education.Law is a very costly commodity.Law is for those who enforce it and may be Police,The Magistrates -Law Advocates-So this what I try to see and trow for all of us.Thank you

2 Likes

we are cross posting most of the activities in the page on our new launch on facebook Paralegal Empowerment Association of Nigeria https://web.facebook.com/groups/626710124145400/

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, @SIAYI. We are currently working on a resource guide that focuses on teaching methodology and training materials that we hope to publish in just a few months from now. The majority of our Network teach communities their legal rights and as such this is one of our priorities. It is also important to note that legal empowerment is focused on supporting communities everywhere to know, use and shape the law rather than to fear it or consider the law only for use by the police or government as you say above. The law is for everyone and we hope to empower people to know and use it equally.

@princeisraelorekha, that is great to hear about your cross-posting activities and resources within the Paralegal Empowerment Association in Nigeria! I know that @OreOhimor, @fatimaadamu, @GREENCODE, @aminahanga and others in Nigeria are following our Network and the progress of paralegals across Nigeria and globally as well! Thank you.