Here’s a checklist of New Member tasks to help set you up for success here in the Global Legal Empowerment Network. You can also earn some
achievement badges and unlock additional privileges along the way!
On your first visit
At first, it’s a good idea to get a feel for the community and how our platform works. Take some time to click on the menus and links to make sure you can find your way around. Set up your profile and preferences, and spend some time reading what has already been shared by others.
1. Edit your network member profile
- Add some information about yourself, what you do and what you are looking for in your bio
- Earn the
- Add your organizational affiliation (if relevant)
- If your organization exists in the directory, you can choose it from a pulldown list. If not, you can add it.
2. Edit your discussion preferences
- add your picture
- review your notification preferences
3. Spend 15 minutes simply reading discussions
- a good place to start is by selecting TOP to see the most active topics by month, week or day
- after about 15 minutes of reading, you will automatically be granted access to all community functions including uploading pictures, sharing links in posts and writing private messages to other members.
Tips: As you explore
- Get acquainted with discussion platform features
- Look for and click on people’s pictures or mentions (like this: @vivekmaru) to see the informative user card popup!
- Find people or topics that interest you using search - select in top right corner then type in your keywords
- Like some posts - select below a post you find interesting or useful. The author and other participants will appreciate it!
On your next visit
Now that you have a feel for the community, you can go deeper to find out what’s happening here and start engaging with other members.
1. Check out activity relevant to you
- look for your picture in the top-right corner which will indicate when you have new activity to check. Select the unread notifications every time you log in to clear them.
2. Read the community guidelines
- earn the
3. Reply to one or more topics
- contribute to the discussion
- look for below each post
On your third visit
By now you will be well on your way to knowing how to contribute actively.
1. Start a new topic
- share a video or website, ask a question, or simply to introduce yourself and your connection to grassroots legal empowerment
- remember to follow the guidelines!
- as soon as another member your topic, you will earn the
2. Invite your friends
- select below a post to get the link
- paste the link into an email or facebook update with an explanation
- earn the
3. Get to know the ☰ menu
- Find out where you stand in the community via Badges
- Explore who’s here by viewing the User list
- Check out Tags, which are another way to explore related topics
- Use keyboard shortcuts to speed up your browsing
- About displays a list of moderators available to help you navigate the platform as well as handy site statistics
4. Optional: upload your resources
- The resource database contains thousands of resources added by practitioners and tagged by Network staff so they are discoverable through powerful search filters.
- You can upload your resources at http://namati.org/upload
- earn the
Tips: As you contribute
- Let the online editor show you how to create formatted posts
- Learn how to mention someone by typing
@and first few letters of a name, and observe how it autocompletes. They will be notified as soon as you save your post!
- Link to another topic in your post and observe how it appears (and earn the