New member introductions (10 October to 23 October, 2019)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you have decided to join us. On this forum, you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together members who joined in the last two weeks to celebrate your arrival. Later, you can help to welcome those who follow in your footsteps. :footprints:

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with?

3 Likes

At action against (extreme) human suffering, aahs, we’re advocating n taking deliberate steps to to restore peace in communities ravaged by inter ethnic clashes including burning of farms, barns, food n food resources The most vulnerable during combats namely women n children are primarily targets for intervention with our law enforcement intelligence analytics. We also work to ensure sustainable livelihoods for out of school pregnant children n teenagers.

Thanks

Precious

…be assured everything will work out fine. thanks

6 Likes

thank you for the warm welcome. will be available for any volunteering needed within Lagos Nigeria.

3 Likes

@Lavetanalagi , it’s wonderful to see you here! I’ve been meaning to reach out after The Peoples’ Summit on Climate, Rights and Human Survival, to discuss how we can better support and collaborate with your youth network. I remain inspired by your words - we must all work together and bring our full resources to bear to address the coming crisis. I hope your journey home was safe - I’ll send you a message following up separately!

3 Likes

Hello. I am looking for a human rights lawyer. I want to take action against the Jamaican government in regards to the violation of the human right to provide free education of a decent standard and their questionable policies to mitigate climate change. The sad thing is, they could act on both by being prudent with the people’s money but choose not to.

I have read the overview of the Abidjan Principles and it is apparent that Jamaica violates numerous overarching principles: https://www.abidjanprinciples.org/en/background/overview. In regards to climate change, there has been no transparency or public debate about the economic viability of renewables.

Our electricity rates are amongst the highest in the world (Cost Of Electricity By Country - WorldAtlas.com) and solar investment has payback periods under 4 years: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140602/news/news1.html. Two high schools are partially solar powered - by charity - and both reported payback figures under a year!

State owned solar powered infrastructure is economically viable and implementation would not cost taxpayers a dollar. Simply apply prudence: instead of using taxpayers money to indefinitely pay electricity bills, schools should service fixed-term loan agreements – with repayments lower than bills – to pay for their own electricity generating facilities.

I presented my proposals to members of a branch of UNA-UK (independent from the UN) and this was their comment: The idea has potential financial, educational and of course environmental impact. Rolled out across the tropical world and indeed elsewhere it could reduce school fees and boost access to education (especially for girls), reduce carbon footprints and set an example for non-educational sectors to emulate.

Due to the level of corruption and collusion I cannot get help here.

Hi John! Welcome. Your idea is interesting… maybe you could even expand on it in a post in #financing innovative financing category, where members share ideas about financing grassroots legal empowerment work. Or in #tech.

I’m not sure you will find your human rights lawyer here, but maybe fellow members have suggestions for places you might look. Do keep us posted on your efforts.

Thank you for your warm welcome. Ihave joint this forum to learn more on different areas of interest and to know what other countries do.

4 Likes

@paulinekwamboka! It is really great to see you here. Your work with @HakiAfrica remains one of the most creative and inspirational approaches I have encountered to date. No doubt , your experience in activism and building a community of change will add tremendous value and may form an interesting base for discussion around the civic space. Also, it would be great to see our other superstar @WevynMuganda !

1 Like

@hassanalazarus introduced himself via email. You are most welcome! :seedling:

I am presently working at the Citizens’ Rights Department in the Federal Ministry of Justice Abuja, Nigeria. The Citizens’ Rights Department handles petitions, Anti-Torture programs, Female Genital Mutilation, Child protection etc.

The Citizens’ Rights Department of the Ministry of Justice will be glad to partner with you and be involved in the work you do.

Personally, i have worked with various civil society organizations. The following is part of the activities i have been involved in with NGOs.

Summary

National Youth Leader, United Nig. Peace Foundation. 2013

As the National Youth Leader my duties among others include:

• Coordinating the activities of all states youth leaders.

• Drawing and sending out schedules to the states arm of the Youth on the activities of the NGO.

• Visiting and holding of meetings (consultative) with the states youth leaders on issues relevant to the growth of the NGO.

• Assigning responsibilities to the State youth leaders.

• Perform all necessary registrations of the NGO.

• Organizing all workshops and seminars.

• Any other duties as may be assigned to me by the Directors.

1. African Youth Growth Foundation. 2014

My responsibilities as the National Secretary among others include:

• Writing of all correspondences as may be directed by the Directors of the NGO.

• Filling of all correspondences of the NGO

• Attending all meetings, developing the minutes and filling it accordingly.

• Liaising with all Statutory Regulatory authorities on behalf of the NGO.

• Write and send out all correspondences of the NGO to all stakeholders.

• Procure and maintained all stationeries of the NGO.

• Received all mails and reply accordingly as with express permission of the Director.

• Any other duties as may be directed by the Director.

1. Data Research and Mapping Consult. (INTERVIEWER)

For three months Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation of cross sectional survey for the Nigerian Urban Reproductive health initiative.

The actual activities here involved the followings:

• Locating Households

• Interviewing the household head to get the eligible woman for the interview if she falls within the range of 15 to 49 years.

• Interviewing the eligible woman on the following issues:

 Trying to know the number of women that are using contraceptives and the type.

 Trying to know how many women go for antenatal and post-natal care.

 Trying to know how many women give birth in the hospital or at home.

 Trying to know how many women have something doing.

 Trying to know where the women heard the information of family planning.

 Trying to know whether a person who uses family planning end up with health problems.

 2017 Base Line Survey in Plateau State (An Editor)

• I edit all the household questionnaires and women questionnaires from 13th September to 14th November 2017
  1. Sahel Capital Lagos 2016
  • Method of preserving fresh milk from Fulani women

• Method of preserving fresh milk from Jamil Yoghourt

• Method of processing tomatoes in Niyya Farm

• Method of extracting mangoes into mango juice.

• Method of producing feeds (Vital feeds)

a. Starter Mash

b. Grower Mash

c. Finisher Mash

1. National Secretary, Youth for Peace and Good Leadership

Initiative International, Abuja.

My responsibilities as the National Secretary among others include:

• Writing of all correspondences as may be directed by the Directors of the NGO.

• Filling of all correspondences of the NGO

• Attending all meetings, developing the minutes and filling it accordingly.

• Liaising with all Statutory Regulatory authorities on behalf of the NGO.

• Write and send out all correspondences of the NGO to all stakeholders.

• Procure and maintained all stationeries of the NGO.

• Received all mails and reply accordingly as with express permission of the Director.

• Any other duties as may be directed by the Director.

1. Director. Corporate Affairs- African Female Youth & Students Dev. Initiaves.

My duties as the Director Corporate Affairs include among others the following:

• Organizing advocacy visit to tertiary institutions.

• Writing on issues that concerns female gender in the country eg Rape cases and unnecessary Divorce.

• Inviting and coordination talk shows by Elderly enlighten women.

1. TRAINING, SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS:

a. 3 Days seminar on Human Rights Commission in conjunction with Clean Foundation Abuja 18th – 20th November, 2013.

• Where are our female detainees kept?

• Are they kept together with the males? Or separately.

• How clean is the police station?

b. 3 Days seminar – With Arewa Youth organized by the United States of America embassy

c. 2 days Workshop on Conflict Mitigation and Management organized by International Foundation for Education and Self –help (IFESH).

d. 2 days Workshop on Customary way of Settling Dispute, Organized by Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution Abuja in collaboration with China Embassy

e. 2 days Workshop on Importance of Skill Acquisition in secondary schools

1. NGO WORK

a. Evaluation of tuberculosis radio jingle in Plateau State with the Association for Reproductive and Family Health Initiative/ Leprosy Control funded by Global Fund in (Mangu/Shendam L.G .A. from 10th December to 23rd December, 2017. As Qualitative Team Lead.

b. Interviewed the T.B State coordinator Plateau State, District Head of Mangu, T.B Patient Mangu, T.B Supervisor Mangu, Male Focus Group Mangu, District Head of Shendam, T.B Patient Shendam, T.B Supervisor Shendam, Female Focus group Shendam, Global Fund.

c. A comprehensive report note taking and transcription was done and sent.

d. Sayana Press in Niger State, November, 2018 (Supervisor) Association for Reproductive and Family Health (ARFH)

e. Interview on neglected tropical diseases in Gombe State with Center for Communication and Social Impact, 2019

f. Rescuing the girl child (Maternal Child Survival Program, Bauchi)

2 Likes

Welcome to our group!

Chundy Cambodia.

2 Likes

I am interested to know are there other members from Canada? Thank you so much. Sincerely yours, Alexandar

1 Like

Bula Vinaka Abigail.

It was great to meet you at the People’s Climate Summit. I look forward to exploring further wirh you the kind of support that we the youth network and that of yours can mutually benefit from.

I will be in touch with you soon.

Vinaka Lavetanalagi Seru

1 Like

Welcome all to this unique forum in legal empowerment

3 Likes

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step