New member introductions (11 January to 24 January, 2018)

welcome
new-member-intro

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Hello and welcome again to the Global Legal Empowerment Network!

We are so glad you are here. You will find we are friendly and open in this community. We hope you decide to make yourself at home here and consider this a safe space where you can keep in touch with friends and peers around the world for learning, sharing and collaboration.

We are humbled and inspired by the large number of new members from just about every continent who decided to join the network between 11 to 24 January, 2018 - take a look at the full list below. Tell us: how did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply to introduce yourself to everyone in our community.

While you are here…

Don’t miss these great topics on the forum!

Block out some time to explore how-to guides in the resource library

Acquaint yourself with helpful links for new members

And finally… :drum: drum roll… get to know the latest arrivals to our community!

Tip: select @ username below to see popup “usercard” to get to know a fellow member. To bring someone you are interested in connecting with into a discussion, simply start typing @ followed by their name and their username will autocomplete. This is a “mention” and will notify them.

(Lodopapit Simion) #4

Hi team,

Am happy to be here i must say. In our organization we strive to uplift the voices of women and girls in the pastoralist communities of Northern Kenya and i am glad that we are in partnership with Namati Kenya on issues of legal empowerment whereby we will be undertaking the task of creating awareness to the communities on how to protect their land. I feel at home here and i belief i will learn a lot on the issues of community land protection.

Regards,

Lodzeh

(Tobias Eigen) #5

It’s a pleasure to hear from you, Lodzeh. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. We are glad to have you in our community and hope you decide to visit here as often as you can to let us know how you are doing in your projects. We have much to learn from YOU! :sunny:

(Rumbidzai Nyakatawa) #7

thank you Tobias. i am currently working on my Masters degree and my line of research is on the effectiveness of juvenile delinquents rehabilitation programmes in Zimbabwe.

(Justin Morgan) #8

I have worked in almost every job between factory / abattoir work to training staff /management in white collar positions. I can interact with almost anyone and can create manuals/checklists that really break things down and make them easier to understand.

I have been fighting every injustice that I have seen for as long as I can remember and am good at it. I have been able to navigate the legal system very well over the last few years and am getting better at it with every interaction with the law that I have. I would really like to increase my abilities and use some of my skills that I have already acquired to help out in any way possible.

I have only been fired from one job in my life and that was because I was telling the low level staff that were on a working visa their legal rights in relation to doctors visits that other supervisors were refusing to allow. I have very high morals, have lots of free time and would like to do something of value in my life…

Please contact me about an interview, ask me what ever questions you need to ask to find out where I would be able to fit in best within your organization and I would be happy to devote as much time as I can to helping out in anyway possible!

I have lots of knowledge in residential laws for Queensland Australia, know lots about how to interact with companies to get discounts and/or fees waived in numerous situations and am always looking to learn something new.

For the last few years I have been talking with friends about how people need to stand up against these things that we see are wrong or else they will continue to happen. I am not looking for any form of payment I just want to do everything and anything I can to help.

Please get in touch with me and lets sent a time aside so that we can talk about what you need done and how you can use my skills to help.

Thank you for your time and consideration, Justin Morgan

(I can write a much more professional letter when dealing with legal situations but am just so excited to hear about this organization and just wanted to send something to you right away!)

(Admir Duraj) #9

Hi Tobias, thanks for the warm welcome. I am a legal researcher /trainer based in Tirana, Albania currently working to set up a legal aid service for farmers in rural Albania as a pilot project. I’d appreciate very much your advice and any suggestion concerning funding opportunities to support such initiative. Can I apply for fellowship to support initial set up costs for this project? with many thanks, Admir

(Umamaheswararao Mummidisetty) #10

Thank you and very impressed with the kind of work you are all doing and appreciate the forum you have created for people like me to join and contribute our little and best for the needy around us.

would like to stay connected and keep contributing to the cause of the organization and its intent.

(Tobias Eigen) #11

Wonderful. Such a pleasure to have you in our community. Welcome again!

(Yen Nguyen) #12

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the network. I got to know of this initiative through Mr Vivek Maru’s TED Talk, and I’m inspired to play my part in legal empowerment and reformation within my community. May I know what are the ways that I might be able to do something? Do Namati have a network of volunteered paralegals in different countries? What does one have to do to become a paralegal?

Thank you so much for the effort.

Warmest regards, Yen Nguyen

(David Wandera) #13

Well, I am a student in the Eastern part of Uganda. I’m at university and in the second semester of my final year. I would like to get some information from this platform for my research…and also participate in discussions…and maybe volunteer sometime!

(Liam Corcoran) #14

Thank you! I look forward to learning more about the network and helping any way I can! Aside from my personal interest, I am part of starting an organization that I hope will add/learn a lot to/from the network.

(Lauren LaRocca) #15

Hi, I’m new to this area of interest but I joined to learn more about how to focus my career towards the path of empowering others with legal education. I’m former law enforcement in the U.S. and currently considering law school…does your site have any pertinent resources towards how to create a career doing what you all are doing?

Thanks for your time, Lauren

(Apurba Kundu) #16

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for including me in the network. Excited to be here!

Regards, Apurba

(susan sullivan) #17

Hi I am trying to find out how to improve economic empowerment for the out of work/homeless in my local area, to get justice through policy change.

(Brenna Carbonell) #18

Hi Tobias… A pleasure to meet you - virtually that is. I am not actually working on anything just yet but I am interested in access to justice. I have been a practicing lawyer in Canada for 25 years. I am on the verge of retirement but looking to engage and devote some skills to the important work of transforming our judicial system. I noted form your website that there are very few affiliated Namati organizations in Canada. Do you know why? I think the idea of barefoot or community advocates who place the legal system back in the hands of the people is essential. I think we have some of those groups here in Vancouver especially around housing and social benefits but your work is of great interest to me.

(Tobias Eigen) #19

Hi Brenna! Thanks for the reply. It’s great to meet you too! I am myself based near Seattle so not too far from Canada.

We are a global network, championing a method - grassroots legal advocates - that is more widespread in other parts of the world than Canada. We’d love to see more Canadian organizations join up and get involved, and would be glad for your help with that.

I hope you decide to visit often and spend time reading discussions to get to know the great people and organizations in the network and the work they are talking about. Forum Friday is a great habit to get into if you don’t want to visit every day.

Here’s a great topic you might want to take a look at involving one of our Canadian members. That you are a commonwealth country gives you a connection and perhaps a way to get involved with organizations in the network from other parts of the world.

(Yogyta Bainsla) #20

Greetings sir! I am still studying law and working on women rights in India as well as world. How can i be an intern at your delhi office so that i get a more profound base for my work.

(Tobias Eigen) #21

2 posts were split to a new topic: Introducing NET Africa (Natural Environment Technology)

(Divine Mulonge Kisali) #22

Bonjour,

We are working for promoting the Justice for all, specialy for young girls and women in the rural areas.

Nous travaillons pour la promotion des droits des femmes et filles dans les zones rurales de l’Est de la RD Congo.

Nous luttons contre l’exploitation des enfants filles dans les mines d’or, à des fins commerciales,

Nous travaillons pour la Paix, la sécurité des personnes et de leurs biens, la démocratie,

Et le développement durable.

(Ana Morales) #27

Hi! Right now I have 2 projects for this year. I want to start doing workshops about how to put the Guatemala’s Law Against Femicide in practice. Explain the different kinds of violences it contemplates and how to start it. If you have any information about this or about how to do research or even how to do workshops it would be amazing!

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step