New member introductions (12 July to 25 July, 2018)

introductions

(Tobias Eigen) #23

Hi Christine! Great to see you here. Indeed we will have some fun. :slight_smile: Hope you decide to hang out here in the forum regularly.

That’s great! Faraja Foundation is not yet in the network directory. You can add it by editing your profile and choosing + Add new organization, and then fill in all the organization details. Contact me directly if you have any questions or feedback on adding your organization.

(Ravindran Daniel) #24

Dear Tobias,

Thank you for your message and for the warm welcome accorded to me. I will get in touch if I have anything to share or seek input from the network.

Best

Ravindran

(SCARIUS JOHN) #25

Dear Tobias,

Thank you for the network. Happy to be part. We do legal aid, public interest litigation, social justice, social activism, human rights monitoring and reporting among others…Thank you again

Scarius John from Rwanda

(Isaac Afunaduula) #26

Greetings all,

Hope you are all well.

It is very nice to be here, and i am really excited about the prospects.

My name is Isaac Afunaduula.

I am a lawyer by profession, I also lecture law at Kampala International University.

Most importantly I am a human rights activist, and Head of the Human Rights Legal Aid Center Uganda (HURILAC).

Briefly, my ardent passion is legal aid, legal research, community outreach, and grassroots based approaches to human rights solutions.

I found out about this network through a colleague, who recommended it for its ability to join various international links.

At the moment, i am working on addressing the issue of police violence, excessive force and the arbitrary deprivation of rights in times of emergency. The intention is to have a jurisprudence, a definite legal position and recommendations for the police and security forces on proportionality. This will hopefully culminate in a court action for declarations on what the position should be.

We are also working on women empowerment to enable them assert their sexual reproductive rights.

I am looking for networking, pooling of resources, and any support available in form of advice, strategies, experiences etc.

Best regards.

(Esther Delaire) #27

Actually I work as an independant consultant inside project based on gender based violence

I would like to be apart of your international conference

(Boubacar FAYE) #29

Bonjour toute la communauté, c’est Boubacar du Sénégal/ Dakar et je voudrais vous faire savoir que je suis très content de faire partie de cette communauté.

Thanks for the great message, I am very happy to become member of this platform.

(Mukete Tahle Itoe) #30

We work on the provision of pro bono legal aid to refugees who go through the status determination( RSD) process. For now, we intend to train as many as 100 lawyers and para legals in Cameroon to start taking up these cases. There is no such thing as pro bono legal aid for refugees in the Cameroon

(Fredrick Okagua) #31

Hi guys,

My name is Fredrick Okagua @fredrickspencer from Nigeria. It’s a great pleasure to be part of this wonderful community of great minds.

My aim of joining this platform is to seek alliance with other great minds, industry experts with collaborative assistance especially in the area of improving access to justice, freedom of information, enforcement of fundamental rights and collective/community development through the rule of law as a veritable instrument for national development. I knew about this platform from the opportunity desk platform.

I am currently working on a project with my organisation on promoting access to public records and information in rural communities.

(Bonoua John World Ackah Miezan) #32

Bonjour, Je suis BONOUA John, de la Côte d’Ivoire. J’ai connu Namati grace à une collègue avec qui je travaillais sur un projet de sécurisation foncière.

Je suis particulièrement intéressé par cette problématique dans mon pays; surtout que depuis 1998, une loi foncière a été adoptée. La mise en œuvre de cette loi est particulièrement complexe sur le terrain.

Je m’interroge sur l’approche de communication qui pourrait aider à susciter un intérêt chez les communautés rurales dont les pratiques sont généralement en déphasage avec cette loi foncière.

Merci infiniment

(Sam Chelladurai) #33

Dear friends at Global Legal Empowerment Network,

I feel great about learning new ideas and values from all of you in the days to come. Thank you for accepting me as one of your members. I am sure we all will have useful time.

In solidarity,

Sam Chelladurai
India

(Faith Kyunga) #34

Hi, My name is Faith Kalunda, I work with local government in Kenya in a county called Tharaka Nithi Government. I am currently the Chief Officer in charge of Lands, Physical Planning and Urban Development. I am looking for a platform to advance my knowledge among peers on how to effectively manage land resource in a rural regime. I look forward to learning different approaches being used in different parts of the world to solve land issues. I look forward to creating a family in family in this community.

(Kumvana Mlumbe) #35

Legal Practitioner and Legal Officer at Women’s Legal Resources Centre. Working on access to justice for women and girls.

(Rahul Singh) #36

I am presently working as National Program Coordinator, National Dalit Movement for Justice-NDMJ a unit of National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights-NCDHR which is working to eliminate all forms of caste based discrimination and Monitoring Human Rights violation against Dalits, Adivasis, Women and Children in India. He is an advocate by profession and presently coordinating the rights of Undertrial and Convicts with in Access to Justice theme. I have been involved in Dalit Human Rights Monitoring, which includes Fact Findings, intervention with the commissions, government authorities and judiciary and focused on overall implementation of SCs and STs (PoA) Act 1989 for the last 12 years. I also drafted the amendments to SCs and STs (PoA) Act 1989 along with the members of committee formed by National Advisory Council and drafting committee for National Coalition for Strengthening PoA Act – NCSPA. Actively advocated and lobbied for bringing the amendment to the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and succeeded in the year 2015. Done various research studies while in NCDHR, including Justice Under Trial, Access to Justice, Dalit Human Rights State Specific Status Reports, Joint Stakeholders Report on UPR III etc.

(R.M Bandaranayake) #37

The law relating to land rights and land contracts in Sri Lanka have been embedded in a complex web of statutes that existed since the year 1863. This was during the colonial rule, a period in which the patriarchal system prevailed.

As a consequence the law lacks provisions for women to hold land rights independently of their husbands or male relatives and the accepted modern legal principles such as men and women are all equal and women have equal rights to own property are not included in our law as given in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In 1948 Eleanor Roosevelt was the woman in the forefront who created the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We had the world’s first woman Prime Minster but unfortunately even today in the 21st century we continue with the laws of the bygone era.

Sri Lanka’s progress therefore does not match its constitutional commitments on gender equality, or its obligations under international law, to progress to electronic portals to protect identity of owners to secure land title irrespective of ethnicity.
Sri Lanka is lagging far behind our regional competitors and
1] generation after generation of women lack access to land rights and poverty becomes a network of disadvantages, each exacerbating the other.
2], when it come to Foreign Direct Investment, to invest in land one has to find out whether the land belongs to a man or a woman or whether owner is a Kandyan Sinhalese , Tamil or Muslim.
3] the statutes provide archaic identification owner rules and sufficient optional rules, and as a consequence land fraud has become extremely pervasive in the country

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step