New member introductions (16-29 April 2020)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

2 Likes

Greetings to you all, My name is Menelik Solomon and I am from Ethiopia. I am a principal attorney at my own law office. I couldn’t remember how i came across this site but I guess some other similar site must have brought me here and I am happy I did. at this moment I am working to establish a charity organization that would provide pro-bono legal services and on legal empowerment to the most disadvantaged group of the population. I believe my presence here would benefit me a lot. Thank you for your warm reception!

3 Likes

Hello,

I am a law student in London, UK, particularly interested in the protection of human rights. Before graduating in 2021, I would like to gain some legal experience helping as a volunteer/intern with a law firm or NGO.

Any experience working internationally would be fantastic. I would be grateful for any opportunities available. Until then, I look forward to hearing more about the inspiring work that is going on around the world. This website is a real gem and such a positive influence at this time.

Thanks, Tom Phillips

4 Likes

Hola, Soy de Chile. Soy Licenciada en Ciencias JurĂ­dicas. Actualmente trabajo de forma transitoria en una instituciĂłn estatal. Me falta la practica profesional para poder titularme de abogado.

Me interesa el Derecho medioambiental, pueblos indĂ­genas, recursos naturales y los derecho humanos.

También participo en varias organizaciones sociales sobre los temas de mi interés.

Estoy muy contenta de compartir con todos ustedes. Espero ser un miembro activo.

Gracias, Jennyfer Choque

2 Likes

Hello everyone? My name is Maxwell Magawi, a student of Law at the University of Nairobi. I am particularly interested in human rights work. Currently, I convene the National Students’ Caucus, an umbrella organization that brings together student leaders from different universities across the country. The aim of the caucus is to salvage the shrinking space at the country’s higher learning institutions. Besides making use of the resources of the network to build the capacity of the Caucus’ leadership, I would also want to use this opportunity to achieve a deeper insight into the subject of human rights law. It is equally my desire to share experiences with members from different parts of the world. I was introduced to the network by a friend.

2 Likes

Hi @meneliksm, @tomphillips, @MaxwelMagawi, thank you for introducing yourselves and welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network!

I would recommend you to:

2 Likes

Hola @jennyferchoque, bienvenida a la Red Global de Empoderamiento JurĂ­dico y a la comunidad lationamericana de la Red!

Como primeros pasos te animarĂ­a a:

1 Like

Good morning! My name is Obange Millicent. I am a human rights lawyer currently at the Kenya School of Law. I found out about this forum on Twitter, then I checked the website out and joined.

I am currently doing research on domestic violence legislations (statute and policy) around the world and would love to work with anyone who is interested in the subject.

Kind regards,

Obange Millicent A.

3 Likes

Hi @millicentobange, welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network!

I would recommend you to:

2 Likes

My name is serah Tukurah , an indigenous advocate I work with the indigenous people of the federal capital territory Abuja Nigeria, I discovered this forum through a document that was published on land coalition . Am currently working on a legislation on access to land of Abuja indigenous people who also are in the front line as farmers who provide us food to eat. And it’s my desire that I will learn from other peoples experience and we will form a formidable force to tackle menace in our communities. Thank you.

2 Likes

Dear Marta, Thank you for the recommendations

2 Likes

Hi @serahtukurah, welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network! I would encourage you to check the #land and #environment categories, as well as the Resource Library, where you can filter by issue (for example, “Land & Natural Resources”, and “Community / Customary Land Rights”).

1 Like

Dear @martaalmela, thanks for the well welcome, and the recommendation too.

2 Likes

I am called Banturaki Benard from Uganda working with Real Agency for Community Development. This is a registered NGO operating in western Uganda so what prompted me to join this network. I am a human rights defender and also Our organization is dealing the following thematic areas, human rights , environmental conservation, education both civic education and supporting our disadvantaged group to get education and among others. So joined this network for sharing knowledge and skills as well as networking and fundraising. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @benardbanturaki, welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network! I would recommend you to have a look at the #environment, #community and #covid19 categories, as well as to explore the Resource Library, where you can filter by issue (for example, “Education” or “Environmental Justice”).

1 Like

Hello gentle men and ladies, I am Jibrin Abubakar from Gombe State of Nigeria, I graduated from National Open University of Nigeria, I obtained BSc Degree on peace studies and conflict resolution. I am really happy to come across the Global Legal Empowerment Network Community, I heard about the organization through Google search during my research activity, an I believe that I will be came a stronge and active member that will grab knowledge from different members. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @JibrinAbubakar, welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network! I would recommend you to browse through the different conversations that are happening in the forum, in particular the #community and #covid19 categories, as well as to explore the Member Directory and the Resource Library!

1 Like

Am Philip Mawien I come from South sudan, Am a human right Activist, I work for a local/community based organization working in gender Based Violence in my community. I came across this forum through many sources,such as a project of NRC known as ICLA this project has been working in our community for a number of years in addition to the life changing impact this forum is making around the world which a get through the website. I felt by joining this forum I will improve in the field of GBV and legal empowerment. I want to help make the difference in my community.

2 Likes

Hi @philipmawien, welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network! Since you are working on Gender-based violence, I would recommend you to (as I recommended to a fellow new member above):

1 Like

Hi marta, thank you very much for such a decorated welcoming recommendations I will explore the network resources featuring GBV, and human right related documents. in order to learn more

2 Likes