New member introductions (19 April to 2 May, 2018)

Hello. Am happy to be part of this community.

My name is Obore Joseph, Ugandan by Nationality. I am the founder and Executive Director of Action for Development of Local Communities (ADOL) https://oboreadol.wixsite.com/adol - a Community Based Organization working and operating in Bukedea District, eastern part of Uganda. We work with women, elderly and youth through implementing projects geared towards enabling them have access to human rights and legal empowerment.

We are currently implementing a project which involves 3 months training of 100 elderly persons and 5 months community empowerment through community education, sensitization and awareness raising on laws and human rights relating to succession and inheritance especially in making a will.

I got to know about Global Legal Empowerment Network through Namati news letter, I therefore read more about you and highly developed an interest in being part of the movement for legal empowerment with fellow members working with Civil Society Organizations. After I read about you, I realized that it is a network for people who are putting the power of law in to peoples hands of which I am one of them!

I will need help in some of the following areas:

1. Provision of legal empowerment resources.

2. Funding opportunities for legal empowerment projects.

3. Learning exchange visits to explore more on what other people do regarding legal empowerment and to share insights and lesson for effective implementation of legal empowerment projects.

4. Advocacy and campaign mechanisms

I am more reachable by other platforms especially on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/obore.joseph.7

Thank you.

3 Likes

Welcome on board, tips on how to enjoy the network.

1. Engage: participate in discussions and start discussion topics in your area of interest that doesn’t already exist. Add your voice to ongoing discussions and please always give feed back.
  2. Use of available resources: this network is blessed with people and a rich resource library. Explore
  3. Use every available opportunity: attend webinars, meetings and apply for opportunities.

Let us #hearyou #legalEmpowerment #letslearn from you

4 Likes

Thank you Fatima! This is wonderful advice. Thank you for helping welcome our new members! :sunny:

My organization works on citizenship issues and with groups of persons without National legal identity and other civil documentation especially those based in Borno State in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria. Majority of the people we work with are victims of the Boko Haram insurgency, now living in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camps or host communities and come from different states of the North East of Nigeria and some are from neighbouring countries of Niger and Chad. Since December, 2017, I have assisted in providing support to IDPs living in camps and the host communities to overcome discrimination in accessing full citizenship rights and legal identity documents such as birth certificate, national identity cards, death certificate etc.

As a member of Nigerian Bar Association, I have also had the opportunity to handle cases relating to probate and inheritance matters, matrimonial and family disputes requiring arbitration for IDPs on a UNHCR assisted Access to justice project in 2017.

2 Likes

Thank you for introducing yourself, @mmkano! It is a pleasure to meet you and to learn about your work in Nigeria.

Do consider applying for our upcoming learning exchange on citizenship.

https://namati.org/network/opportunities/learningexchanges/

1 Like

Welcome to the network, you may want to check the resource centre for materials that would improve your work.

1 Like

Hey! My name is Larissa. I am a general litigation lawyer in Malaysia. My firm does a lot of pro bono work in relation to religions freedom cases and also citizenship. We currently have five cases that are pending in our apex Court, to determine the status of almost all citizenship cases across the nation. Great to be a part of this loop!

Thank you Mr.Tobias Eigen ,i already apply for the program since hope you are going to consider my application.

1 Like

Welcome all new members! So exciting to see our community growing and thriving…

1 Like

Yes! It certainly is exciting to see the community growing by leaps and bounds. If you look in the #new-member-intro tagged topics, you can see a wonderful collection of thoughtful and inspiring introductions going back to January. It’s a pleasure to read.

right way am taking the community through their rights enshrined in the constitution of kenya 2010 on natural resources regulations and benefits accrued from exploration and extraction

am trained community paralegal by kituo cha sheria. since then we set up resource centre in Lokichar. kindly help me how i can run the programme and resource in then said area.

2 Likes

Hi James! It’s a pleasure to have you in our community, and I hope you decide to participate regularly. It’s so interesting to hear you are a trained community paralegal working at the local level in Kenya. We’d love to hear your stories and questions about your daily challenges and successes. Can you describe for us what a typical day looks like for you?

As a paralegal, I suggest you hang out in the #paralegals category, and explore the resource guide linked below.

Hello. Am happy to be part of this community.

My name is Obore Joseph, Ugandan by Nationality. I am the founder and Executive Director of Action for Development of Local Communities (ADOL) https://oboreadol.wixsite.com/adol - a Community Based Organization working and operating in Bukedea District, eastern part of Uganda. We work with women, elderly and youth through implementing projects geared towards enabling them have access to human rights and legal empowerment.

We are currently implementing a project which involves 3 months training of 100 elderly persons and 5 months community empowerment through community education, sensitization and awareness raising on laws and human rights relating to succession and inheritance especially in making a will.

I got to know about Global Legal Empowerment Network through Namati news letter, I therefore read more about you and highly developed an interest in being part of the movement for legal empowerment with fellow members working with Civil Society Organizations. After I read about you, I realized that it is a network for people who are putting the power of law in to peoples hands of which I am one of them!

I will need help in some of the following areas:

1. Provision of legal empowerment resources.

2. Funding opportunities for legal empowerment projects.

3. Learning exchange visits to explore more on what other people do regarding legal empowerment and to share insights and lesson for effective implementation of legal empowerment projects.

4. Advocacy and campaign mechanisms

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Joseph! Welcome again to the network! Thank you for taking the time to write a very thorough introduction of yourself, how you found us and what you are seeking help with. I wish every new member were so thorough! :heart_eyes_cat:

You are certainly in the right place. Keep an eye out for weekly email summaries from the forum containing timely info about all the things you are seeking help with. You can also log in and explore the forum and resource library directly to look for specific information. The :mag: forum search is a powerful tool to look for keywords.

In case you missed it, do take a look as soon as you get a chance at the 10 weeks of action campaign demanding funding and protection for grassroots justice defenders. The campaign just kicked off this week - there are going to be lots of great advocacy opportunities and resources in there, including the petition which you are encouraged to sign and share.

Am working on youth leadership development with a focus to empower young people to engage in personal development( positive values, character, leadership skills, entrepreneurship skills and attitude) through career coaching, mentorship and trainings that would enable them compete and function effectively in their communities. (www.youthleadershipschool.wordpress.com).

1 Like

Dear all, I am Dzung Hoang from a local NGO in Vietnam. I think that the vulnerable group should know more about legal system in their country because it decides frames their life. It is lucky when I found this network. I hope to connect with all of you and learn more from you. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Hi @tobiaseigen, some of my community volunteers interested to join and know about Namati and the global empowerment network, how do they join??

2 Likes

Pema, thank you for spreading the word about the Network! If they would like to join, you can send them an email invitation to sign up from here. You can also share this link on social media.

2 Likes

Thanks, Maddy, for following up to Pema.

The link to share far and wide to friends and colleagues so they can join the network is https://namati.org/network where info is provided explaining the benefits of membership as well as the registration form.

1 Like

Hello! I trust you are well, and enjoying your network membership. In case you missed it, can you please prioritize taking the annual survey? It doesn’t take long and is a valuable opportunity for you to give input. Consider it a holiday gift to the network team. :star2: Here’s the direct link: https://namati.org/network/survey

If you are on twitter, you can also share the survey with your followers. We are aiming for at least 500 respondents! :rocket: