New member introductions (19 April to 2 May, 2018)

introductions

(Okori George Cyrus) #21

Am working on Land rights for marginalized groups (Widows, Orphans, Child headed households etc), protection of family and community land under customary tenure and land conflict resolution through mediation approach. Am however limited by resources and would like more support to have a game changer.

(Chidera Obulu) #22

Hello Tobias,

I am delighted you communicated me and I must confess my happiness towards this. Yes, I am working on sensitization activities to educate my community on the laws that are not favourable to them. I have mapped out 10 communities that this activity will reach and am on the 4th community currently.

I have a movement down here in Nigeria to enhance the knowledge of these individuals on these laws. Having a conversation with other enthusiastic comrades will be highly appreciated.

I am very much open for further discussions and opportunities to build my skills which will be returned to my community. I also appreciate joining the network of which am sure we will have a shared ideas.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate your communication.

Chidera

(Khaled Emam) #23

Dear Tobias,

Thank you for welcoming me to your great network ,I am ،Khaled Emam from Egypt , i am a human rights lawyer and the Executive Manager of the Arab Program for Human Rights Activists (APHRA), located in Nasr City. APHRA has been working since 1997 to fight human rights violations in the MENA region. I have initiated and participated in several activities in the field of Human rights and anti-corruption. I also work with the UN and other international organizations in the field of international law. In the field of law, I defend several NGOs in the court every month. I am so happy to be part of the Global Legal Empowerment Network ! I would like to know if we can schedule a webinar together to discuss possible collaboration .

Kind Regards, *Khaled Emam

(Carter Draper) #24

@tobiaseigen,

Thanks and I’m glad to join this network. I look forward to going through forums and topics and get myself more inform on trending events here.

(Tobias Eigen) #25

Welcome again, everybody! I’ve really been enjoying reading the introductions from members. You are all great and I am excited to welcome you to our community.

Thank you! I definitely am happy to see network members stepping up to get to know new members and to welcome them to the community. Thank you for stepping up! :sunflower:

(Heri Bitamala) #27

Heri Bitamala is an anti-corruption activist passionate about the role of civil society in promoting integrity and accountability. Heri have a strong track record in implementing conflict transformation, social cohesion and peacebuilding and integrity building programs. Extensive experience in programme development, governance, peacebuilding and anti-corruption issues for local SCOs.

Current Executive Director of Centre de Recherche sur l’Anti-Corruption (CERC), Heri have a passion for integrity building, anti-corruption and community engagement. I work with youths and CSOS on anti-corruption strategy, planning and problem solving, and help them to develop skills and knowledge through a variety range of training programs and workshops.

(Obore Joseph) #29

Hello. Am happy to be part of this community.

My name is Obore Joseph, Ugandan by Nationality. I am the founder and Executive Director of Action for Development of Local Communities (ADOL) https://oboreadol.wixsite.com/adol - a Community Based Organization working and operating in Bukedea District, eastern part of Uganda. We work with women, elderly and youth through implementing projects geared towards enabling them have access to human rights and legal empowerment.

We are currently implementing a project which involves 3 months training of 100 elderly persons and 5 months community empowerment through community education, sensitization and awareness raising on laws and human rights relating to succession and inheritance especially in making a will.

I got to know about Global Legal Empowerment Network through Namati news letter, I therefore read more about you and highly developed an interest in being part of the movement for legal empowerment with fellow members working with Civil Society Organizations. After I read about you, I realized that it is a network for people who are putting the power of law in to peoples hands of which I am one of them!

I will need help in some of the following areas:

1. Provision of legal empowerment resources.

2. Funding opportunities for legal empowerment projects.

3. Learning exchange visits to explore more on what other people do regarding legal empowerment and to share insights and lesson for effective implementation of legal empowerment projects.

4. Advocacy and campaign mechanisms

I am more reachable by other platforms especially on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/obore.joseph.7

Thank you.

(Fatima Adamu) #30

Welcome on board, tips on how to enjoy the network.

1. Engage: participate in discussions and start discussion topics in your area of interest that doesn’t already exist. Add your voice to ongoing discussions and please always give feed back.
  2. Use of available resources: this network is blessed with people and a rich resource library. Explore
  3. Use every available opportunity: attend webinars, meetings and apply for opportunities.

Let us #hearyou #legalEmpowerment #letslearn from you

(Tobias Eigen) #31

Thank you Fatima! This is wonderful advice. Thank you for helping welcome our new members! :sunny:

(Abdullahi Muhammad Muhammad) #32

My organization works on citizenship issues and with groups of persons without National legal identity and other civil documentation especially those based in Borno State in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria. Majority of the people we work with are victims of the Boko Haram insurgency, now living in Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) Camps or host communities and come from different states of the North East of Nigeria and some are from neighbouring countries of Niger and Chad. Since December, 2017, I have assisted in providing support to IDPs living in camps and the host communities to overcome discrimination in accessing full citizenship rights and legal identity documents such as birth certificate, national identity cards, death certificate etc.

As a member of Nigerian Bar Association, I have also had the opportunity to handle cases relating to probate and inheritance matters, matrimonial and family disputes requiring arbitration for IDPs on a UNHCR assisted Access to justice project in 2017.

(Tobias Eigen) #33

Thank you for introducing yourself, @mmkano! It is a pleasure to meet you and to learn about your work in Nigeria.

Do consider applying for our upcoming learning exchange on citizenship.

(Fatima Adamu) #34

Welcome to the network, you may want to check the resource centre for materials that would improve your work.

(Larissa Ann Louis) #35

Hey! My name is Larissa. I am a general litigation lawyer in Malaysia. My firm does a lot of pro bono work in relation to religions freedom cases and also citizenship. We currently have five cases that are pending in our apex Court, to determine the status of almost all citizenship cases across the nation. Great to be a part of this loop!

(Abdullahi Muhammad Muhammad) #36

Thank you Mr.Tobias Eigen ,i already apply for the program since hope you are going to consider my application.

(Abigail Moy) #37

Welcome all new members! So exciting to see our community growing and thriving…

(Tobias Eigen) #38

Yes! It certainly is exciting to see the community growing by leaps and bounds. If you look in the #new-member-intro tagged topics, you can see a wonderful collection of thoughtful and inspiring introductions going back to January. It’s a pleasure to read.

(James Eripete) #39

right way am taking the community through their rights enshrined in the constitution of kenya 2010 on natural resources regulations and benefits accrued from exploration and extraction

am trained community paralegal by kituo cha sheria. since then we set up resource centre in Lokichar. kindly help me how i can run the programme and resource in then said area.

New member introductions (3 May to 16 May, 2018)
(Tobias Eigen) #40

Hi James! It’s a pleasure to have you in our community, and I hope you decide to participate regularly. It’s so interesting to hear you are a trained community paralegal working at the local level in Kenya. We’d love to hear your stories and questions about your daily challenges and successes. Can you describe for us what a typical day looks like for you?

As a paralegal, I suggest you hang out in the #paralegals category, and explore the resource guide linked below.

(Obore Joseph) #41

Hello. Am happy to be part of this community.

My name is Obore Joseph, Ugandan by Nationality. I am the founder and Executive Director of Action for Development of Local Communities (ADOL) https://oboreadol.wixsite.com/adol - a Community Based Organization working and operating in Bukedea District, eastern part of Uganda. We work with women, elderly and youth through implementing projects geared towards enabling them have access to human rights and legal empowerment.

We are currently implementing a project which involves 3 months training of 100 elderly persons and 5 months community empowerment through community education, sensitization and awareness raising on laws and human rights relating to succession and inheritance especially in making a will.

I got to know about Global Legal Empowerment Network through Namati news letter, I therefore read more about you and highly developed an interest in being part of the movement for legal empowerment with fellow members working with Civil Society Organizations. After I read about you, I realized that it is a network for people who are putting the power of law in to peoples hands of which I am one of them!

I will need help in some of the following areas:

1. Provision of legal empowerment resources.

2. Funding opportunities for legal empowerment projects.

3. Learning exchange visits to explore more on what other people do regarding legal empowerment and to share insights and lesson for effective implementation of legal empowerment projects.

4. Advocacy and campaign mechanisms

Thank you.

(Tobias Eigen) #42

Hi Joseph! Welcome again to the network! Thank you for taking the time to write a very thorough introduction of yourself, how you found us and what you are seeking help with. I wish every new member were so thorough! :heart_eyes_cat:

You are certainly in the right place. Keep an eye out for weekly email summaries from the forum containing timely info about all the things you are seeking help with. You can also log in and explore the forum and resource library directly to look for specific information. The :mag: forum search is a powerful tool to look for keywords.

In case you missed it, do take a look as soon as you get a chance at the 10 weeks of action campaign demanding funding and protection for grassroots justice defenders. The campaign just kicked off this week - there are going to be lots of great advocacy opportunities and resources in there, including the petition which you are encouraged to sign and share.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step