New member introductions (2-15 April 2020)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

I am a law student in my final semester.Amidst the Corona pandemic I am trying to work for the society by giving them basic food to survive and I always stand for their rights

4 Likes

Good evening. I am Eric Mukoya, the Executive Director of Legal Resources Foundation Trust based in Nairobi Kenya. our website is www.lrf-kenya.or.ke for more information on our work. Nonetheless, we have been working to improve administration of justice, in particular priming for the poor. We have been big in paralegal work, having been the pioneer of paralegalism in Kenya. We have even established a network of paralegals known as PASUNE (Paralegal Support Network), which has paralegals working to ease bottlenecks in the criminal justice system especially helping pre-trial detainees go through the criminal justice system. Some of the work include training such detainees to self represent for inability to afford advocates, secondly offering legal aid through legal clinics in prisons, similarly offered work in court under the concept of court counsel desks to help people understand the procedures in court. Further, we do a lot of work in the policy and law development space. Some of the laws we have engineered in Kenya include the Legal Aid Act of 2016, the first draft of the Small Claims Court Act and Criminal Justice Bill of 2019. We are part of the National Council on Administration of Justice (NCAJ) in Kenya which is a multi sectoral council that consults in a structured manner to reduce discrimination in justice system. Our mantra speaks to Sustainable Development Goals 16 for legal inclusiveness, besides others that address basic services as a chain towards administration of justice.

I was introduced by Aimee Ongeso (@AimeeOngeso) an employee of NAMATI Kenya. Thanks you

6 Likes

Great to finally see you here Eric! I look forward to your valuable contributions

1 Like

Agreed - it is great to see you here, @Mukoya. I have heard a lot of amazing things about Legal Resources Foundation Trust over the years, and LRF has actually been a member organization in our network since the very beginning in 2012 when @salomewangarinjuguna first registered - see the organization profile here.

In any case, karibu!

Hi,

I am grateful that we are now part of family that commits to serve the downtrodden. Access to justice must always remain the drive, for which I have purposed to offer insights. Thanks you for the welcome.

2 Likes

Hi Aimee,

Pleasure is mine and to thank you for the introduction. I will for sure give insights of how I understand the sector, nonetheless, share practices that have worked for us. I am humbled.

3 Likes

Hi @faizanzafar, thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network!

As regards to Covid-19, I would encourage you to explore the #covid19 category, where you will find related resources, events and discussions that might be of interest to you. In particular, I would recommend having a look at:

Welcome Mr Mukoya.Thank you LRF for giving few of us paralegal training the only team providing community legal aid awareness and education in mandera county.Happy to find you in this legal forum.

2 Likes

Hi , great to learn of the work you are doing in Kenya.

1 Like

@Thobekil, @Cadala, I wish to acknowledge all your good words for my presence on this platform and great family emphasising justice for all so that not one is left behind. Lets all put our hands together and advocacy resources to find and fund pro-poor, pro-indigent and pro-marginalised interventions to ensure that justice is served to all without discrimination of whatever nature…I am humbled by all your welcome(s)

1 Like