New member introductions (21 November to 4 December, 2019)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network. This is a hub for learning and sharing with people from around the globe. I cannot tell you how many homes away from Nigeria I have around the world as a result of this platform. -To learn or share, start new topics or contribute to existing ones. -The resource library is very rich, it is my comfort place on the platform. You are sure to find a material that helps solve your challenges or points you in the direction of a solution. -Learn about different projects and program around the world and draw your inspirations from there. -Hear about local , National , Regional and International efforts/ collaborations towards achieving goal 16 of the SDGs.

3 Likes

Iam Noor Ahmed from Mandera county of the republic of Kenya.Mandera is allocated at the border point one the beginning of Kenya between somalia and Ethiopia.I come to know about this network from the internet.Iam the Programs coordinator for mandera county human rights Network.This network consist of human rights monitors and paralegal team.We provide legal aid assistance to vulnerable and minority members, advocacy on gender based violence against women and girls, monitor and document human rights violations e.g.Extra judicial killings and enforced disappearances, Public Expenditure Management (social accountability, budget process and public participation),Land grabbing and corruption. I will shared and exchange my experience and best practices with my colleagues. We need capacity building from more experienced organizations and individuals,also if possible get facilitation from organizations with exchange programs to see how they succeeded in activities similar with our in thier respective organization and countries.

4 Likes

Welcome @noorabdow1972! Great to hear about your work in Mandera the many justice issues you are working to address.

Namati’s Citizenship Program works with partners in Wajir and Garissa, mainly on access to documentation, so not too far from your area!

Looking forward to more interactions on this platform!

2 Likes

Thank madam Laura for the update information.I always say there are disparities in areas.Wajir is about 600kms from Mandera and it takes between 11-13 hours of travel and Garisa is 820kms from mandera which takes 17-19 hours by road due to poor roads infrastructure.They are both closed to the capital city Nairobi which they can travell less than 12 hours.Kindly if u can help us connect us to any part who can give us a support however small.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I am a legal practitioner from Nigeria.

Hoping to make contacts and contribute my quota in making the world a better place.

1 Like

welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network.

1 Like

Hello, everyone. Ahmed Jama @Ahmedweli from Somaliland. I’m working on Horizon somaliland paralegal project.

As a Horizon Institute organization we’re glad to be a member of the Global Legal Empowerment Network.

We hope to learning and sharing ideas.

On 2020 we Focus to Advocate Structural changes based on grassroots Experience in order to bring positive new laws and policies of life through legalempowerment.

I appreciate to our Supervisor @caitlinlambert to her work to be part this Network.

Www.Horizoninstitute.Org Our Facebook page Horizon Institute.

2 Likes

Am Mateyo Banda from Zambia, Mansa. We are running a project called Corridors of Justice that seeks to make Legal Aid more accessible to indigent persons.The organisation is also spearheading Advocacy for community sentencing for misdemenours. In the same thrust, we advocating for amendment of legislation that will provide for community setences for lesser crimes and for the terminally ill prisoners.

Thanks so much to those of you who responded to introduce yourselves. It’s great to get to know you through your participation here. I hope you decide to hang out here in the forum regularly to connect with fellow members to build solidarity, to share knowledge and access timely opportunities!

That sounds like so much rough driving! It must be so difficult to get anything done under those circumstances.

Access to funding is of course an important priority for many organizations. Opportunities are often shared through the forum, so I suggest you keep a close look at email summaries from the forum and log in regularly, and investigate those opportunities as they come up.

There is a specific Recurring fundraising & grant opportunities for legal empowerment topic with good leads for funding too that you can look at, and contribute to with questions or suggestions for other members.

Dear colleagues. Thank you for your important advice and direction. Wish you happy holidays and prosperous New year 2020.

1 Like

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step