New member introductions 👋 (23rd July - 5th August 2020)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Philomène, I am currently based in Madrid, Spain. I heard about the work of Namati as part of my studies in Refugee Protection and was really inspired by its community empowerment approach. I have joined the network to learn more about Namati’s work, as well as from its membership’s good practices. Currently looking for a job in the field of refugee protection/ refugee rights advocacy, my first career was in the Education sector for over 10 years. I then worked with refugee and migrant workers’ communities as a community volunteer, legal aid provider and advocate in India and Singapore and with IDP communities in Georgia. After 12 years living in Asia I relocated here in Europe in 2018. l have a particular interest in statelessness-related issues and feel deeply committed to raising awareness about the complex challenges and diverse realities facing stateless persons worldwide. Of course, having the privilege myself to hold a nationality, my advocacy is only as informed as my non-lived experience allows, but I am always eager to develop my understanding and learn from people with first-hand experience, notably on how to effectively engage the wider public on such complex and often misconceived issues, as well as how to empower communities to claim their rights.

Cheers,

2 Likes

My name is Augustine K James; I am currently based in Kenema, Sierra Leone. Working with Caritas Sierra Leone Justice and peace commission as the program coordinator I heard about the work of Namati during my search in the internet and also as part of the civil society organization coalition in Sierra Leone which NAMATI is part, working on legal empowerment of the most vulnerable people in the community and was really inspired by its community empowerment approach. I have joined the network to learn more about Namati’s work, as well as from its membership’s good practices. Currently looking for funds in the field of access to justice and human rights advocacy for vulnerable communities, my career has been in the development sector for over 10 years. Implementing programs in communities as a community facilitator, legal aid worker and advocate in Sierra Leone and when I was in the refugee camp in Guinea. Also spent 7 years living in the refugee camp in Guinea and work as a psychosocial counsellor and counsellor supervisor helping to protect and counsel individuals and groups. I repatriated in 2003 to continue the same work in the Liberian refugee camps in Sierra Leone.

2 Likes

Am Phiona Managing Director of UGOPRO am glad to share with you my experience, We started this community based organization when the Organization I was working with IRC its contract ended and saw a big need of intervation to assist women and girls in the host community and refugee community in social and economic development for self sustainability and to help vulnerable children, it has been very challenging but we have responded to many issues and the community is now in lightened. We would like any support in this pandemic period we so challenged to serve and met all our client.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Namita Neupane. I live in lalitpur Nepal. I’m working in one women organization ‘Women Network for Energy and Environment’. So I heard about Namati form there. I’m a programme officer for the organization and also a researcher for APWLD’s climate justice programme. Me and my organization would like to support to the women of slums during this Covid pandemic.

2 Likes

Hie All. My Names are Adan Noor. I live in Mandera Kenya. I am performing the duties of a Coordinator and coordinating community activities in respect of a local organization,Pastoralist fro Change and Development(PACDEV) based in Mandera Kenya. PACDEV spear heads community issues that will alleviate human suffering,hunger,poverty and that stands to address prevailing issues of human rights,good governance in order to transform the lives of the local poor urban in Mandera town.

2 Likes

Greetings everyone! My name is Cindy Kobei working at the International Alliance of Indigenous and Tribal Peoples of the Tropical Forest as the Programs Officer which works on advancing IPs rights. I’m currently based in Nairobi, Kenya. I found out about about NAMATI from an organization that you work with(Ogiek Peoples Development Program) and the work that you are doing with them. Its a pleasure to join this platform.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi @philomenefranssen, @akj, @phionanakirijja, @namita_neupane, @adannoor, @cindykobei, thanks for introducing yourselves and welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network!

To start, I would encourage you to:

1 Like

Dear Marta Good to hear from you I received an email and developed interest in working with you Iam the Executive Director of Uganda Parents of Persons with Intellectual Disabilities(UPPID) in Uganda Currently we are presenting a draft bill to parliament seeking change in legislation to provide access to justice and legal capacity for persons with intellectual disabilities in Uganda I would like your support to help us continue with this course I hope to hear from you again All the best Jacob Atadan Executive Director UPPID

2 Likes

My name is Loyrine Ochieng from Kenya i work with a community based organization in Dandora where we ensure there is justice for all, coming from slums there is so much inequalities like class struggle and injustice as many people are not informed on the existing laws and policies that is why i believe that through this platform I will be able to empower my community especially in legal terms.

2 Likes

Dear Jacob,

I’m sure other Network members would be interested to know more about your work presenting a draft bill on access to justice. Please feel free to share more about it by posting a topic in the #community category.

As regards to support, the Network organizes online learning activities that might be of interest to you. Keep an eye out for them in the community discussions platform. As for access to funding, there are two topics: Recurring fundraising & grant opportunities for legal empowerment and Funding opportunities for COVID-19 response and recovery, with good leads for funding too that you can look at, and contribute to with questions or suggestions for other members.

1 Like

Hi Loyrine, thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network!

To start, I would encourage you to:

1 Like

Hello Everyone

I’m pleased to join this platform. Thank you for the opportunity to share insight and to collaborate.

My name is Annie and I am an advocate for women and child development . I am currently working on an initiative to educate and assist one thousand girls and women on child birth and birth control measures .

I invite you guys to join this amazing movement or contribute through sponsorships and idea generation.

It is my pleasure to join the Namati community.

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

My name is Yumchigmaa Atarbold. I’m from Mongolia but at the moment I’m based in the U.S. I’m a Member of the Mongolian Pandemic Stories team which is a group of individuals working to bring transparency to Mongolia’s corrupt culture and to help support vulnerable people stranded abroad during the pandemic. Mongolian government closed their border to everyone including citizens. I found out about Namati from a social activist here. I have a Business background but worked in social justice for 5 years. I’m looking for additional help with our current situation. Feel free to contact me if you have any ideas, legal advice, or questions. Thanks

4 Likes

Hello Everyone I’m Modou ML From west Africa The Gambia. I heard about namati through my God father from Toronto, he send me the link to join the group but I really don’t know much about it. All I know is that am a poor young man age of 25 trying to make a better tomorrow for myself and my mother and siblings. Life is not easy for us here in our country and I lost my biological father 6years back that affects my education and make life so difficult for me here in my country I’m looking forward to have help in the world to have a better life and go to school again…!

2 Likes

Greetings to you all. My name is Maxwell Chambari I am the founder and Director of an organization based in Zimbabwe. The name of our organization is called CATCH. Here at CATCH we are a child rights organization providing legal aid services to children in Conflict and Contact with the law. We reach out to children as perpetrators of violence at police, prisons and courts. We have developed what we call a socio-legal model for children. for more of our work you may visit www.catchngo.org
CATCH is a national organization. How i become a member to this forum was through tweeter, I saw a tweet then about or on this forum then I decided to check it out and realised there is more I can learn and contribute.

Looking forward to learning and contributing towards the development of our work through this network

Kindrgards

1 Like

Dear Members,

Greetings from Juba, South Sudan.

I am the Executive director Federation for Women Lawyers in South Sudan (FIDA).

FIDA is a feminist organization founded in 2010 by the South Sudanese women lawyers association. The organization was formed as a result of the need to have an institution focusing on women’s rights beyond a developmental framework. This arrived at a discussion through which the women lawyers discovered that the existence of negative social and cultural practices prevented women from fully participating in public life and in the development of their communities, and also increased their vulnerability to Gender-Based Violence.

I look forward to a fruitful engagement in this network.

Best regards,

Adut

2 Likes

Hi everyone, My name is Kennya Bhimji and I am currently a Law Student in Canada. I originally joined the network to find people in Zanzibar who are on this sight - as I am looking to do an internship next summer so long as COVID19 is under control. I am also interested in interning in Dar al Salam. My family is from this area and I would like to come back. If anyone would like to connect regarding this please let me know!

Much obliged to you for the chance to share knowledge and to team up.

My name is Mikina and I work for timbu.com . I am currently working on educating and assisting people to discover their purpose on earth .

It is my pleasure to join the Namati community.

Welcome Mikina to the platform of hope.