New member introductions (26 September to 9 October, 2019)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you have decided to join us. On this forum, you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Here in this topic we bring together members who joined in the last two weeks to celebrate your arrival. Later, you can help to welcome those who follow in your footsteps. :footprints:

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with?

3 Likes

Gooday members and thank you Tobias Eigen for the traditional warm welcome. @Deelor is from Nigeria. I heard about Namati from a concerned indigene of a solid Minerals host Community in Edo Sate Nigeria, who thought it would be of great advantage to work with other groups especially Namati, in the enactment of a Solid Minerals and oil producing Communities parity/equity Act that shall metamorphose into a development Commission for all solid Minerals host communities just as the oil rich niger delta has. It is supposed to be the first step in the revitalization and reform for transparency and accountability in the solid minerals’ sector, and provide sufficient protection for solid Minerals host Communities in Nigeria. Seeing the wide reach of Namati, it was a matter of when not if I’d be reaching out to explore the opportunities it provides in this area. We presently have a legislative draft bill to this effect, and as a organisation, our central objective cum mission is achieving increased citizens participation, and a vison is driving for a fair and equitable Nigerian society where social justice thrives. Our principles are justice, unity, renaissance, rectitude and youth emancipation. Another ongoing project which we have deployed sufficient resources into is the re-introduction of the jury system in Nigeria. Once again, thanks for the warm welcome, ad I look forward to exchanging brilliant ideas with this group as well as collaborating on projects within our sphere of interest. Cheers and Warm regards to all. Thank you very much!

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Welcome new members: new member intro topic (every two weeks)

Hi @SumaiyahOmar and @CarolineKawira! Great to see you both on the network platform, welcome!! :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome @Deelor. Your work sounds compelling and important. There are many network members who work with communities affecting by mining - I hope you get a chance to connect!

Here are some posts that might interest you - check out discussions and resources from groups dealing with mining here and here and here.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the warm welcome Laura.

Happy to be part of this awesome network!

4 Likes

Am very happy to be part of this group. Thank you members for welcoming me

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses, folks! Great to meet you all.

Welcome again, @Deelor! Thanks for introducing yourself. Keep us posted here on your progress which sounds valuable and important - you are welcome to start new topics to introduce specific projects and to solicit input from fellow members. You’ll also find the :fa_search: search is your friend - look up terms like groundtruthing and you will find a wealth of discussion to join.

I’m also excited to see Prisoners Rehabilitation and Welfare Action and Media Concern Initiative signed up - welcome @drpee @LindaReuben! :sunflower: Don’t know if you recall, but your organizations were members of Kabissa, an organization I created in 1999 and that existed until 2018 to help African civil society organizations put ICT to work for the benefit of their communities. We spent quite a bit of time working in Nigeria over the years and provided training and services to hundreds of organizations at a formative time for the sector. I think back often to the experience and the fabulous people I befriended and collaborated with - I’d love to see and spend time with more former Kabissa members here, to continue the journey!

3 Likes

Hola a todos y todas. bienvenido sean a la red, soy Jose Coleman de Nicaragua.

2 Likes

¡Bienvenidas a la Red Global de Empoderamiento Jurídico y a la Comunidad Latinoamericana de la Red @Aldana, @Larafanego, @silviaholguin5!

En estos primeros pasos, os animo a consultar la categoría empoderamiento jurídico y a participar de las discusiones, oportunidades y actividades que encontraréis.

Haciendo clic aquí podréis acceder a la publicación Experiencias de Empoderamiento Jurídico en América Latina, donde encontraréis casos de estudio con experiencias concretas de organizaciones en la región. El documento también incluye la Declaración de Villa Inflamable por el Acceso a la Justicia para todas/todos y el Empoderamiento Jurídico, en la cual se establecen 26 exhortaciones a los poderes públicos, privados, y organismos internacionales para garantizar el acceso a la justicia para todos y todas.

Un abrazo,

Marta

1 Like

Estimada @VictoriaBelemmi, ¡qué bueno verte en la plataforma de la Red! Nos vemos pronto en el Congreso Internacional Derecho y Comunidades en Buenos Aires.

Un abrazo,

Marta

1 Like

Welcome! I am happy more people are interested. Enjoy your day.

1 Like

Welcome to the Global Legal Empowerment Network.

Ensure you make the most of your time here. Please share, learn and interact.

The resource centre is a must visit, it’s packed with rich resources that would improve your work.

4 Likes

Welcome new members!

2 Likes

Received by email from @Krmohmbangalie:

it a really good moment for a learner to be part of this discussion,the legal movement which have brings the law to the people,because the LAW,have been into the court room without access but with the help of the GLOBAL LEGAL EMPOWERMENT NETWORK,have in verious ways to help change millions at a glances of every discussion

Welcome, Kemoh! So glad to see you are reading the email summaries and enjoying participating in this community. I hope you decide to log in frequently to https://community.namati.org to read discussions and to contribute your perspectives from #sierraleone.

1 Like

Received by email from @Ndyamkama:

Many greetings from Tanzania.

Am CEO at AGENDA PARTICIPATION INITIATIVE ( API) an organisation working on good governance and human rights based on people’s centred development.

I would like to know and to request for partnership with NAMATI for some programmes here in Tanzania especially on human legal empowerment

Thanks.

Thank you so much Steven for reaching out to us. It’s a pleasure to meet you and to get to know you and the work you are doing in Tanzania. Can you tell us some specifics about your programs? @AimeeOngeso will be interested to know our east Africa membership is growing. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your message.

I would see how to get @Abi to be of help in rallying local support of solid Minerals host Communities in Nigeria.

I feel that it is important that they are protected, and their lands are preserved throughout duration of mining activities, by ensuring development reaches their community in tandem with the resources and revenue generated from their lands and mineral resources found in their communities.

Once again, thank you very much @fatimaadamu

You are welcome Mr. Ogene. Incidentally, we inaugurated the Federation of Nigerian Mining Host Communities earlier this month and we got off to a very promising start. I will be happy to include you in the network communications list and learn more about your interest in safeguarding mining host communities.

1 Like

Dear Baiyewu,

Thanks for your forthright response!

The Nigerian Mining Host Communities, what or who does this comprise sir? What are the aims and objectives of this Community!

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step