New Member Introductions (February 18th 2021 - March 3rd 2021)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This is a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing, and collaboration. Kindly note that this is also a civilized space, with guidelines, for the purpose of improving the discussions. Please take some time to go through our community guidelines.

Here in this topic, we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

3 Likes

I am Shadrack Aseka. I got to hear of NAMATI from a job posting in Kenya.

3 Likes

I’m Mr.Elijah Meyoki A Kenyan citizen. I a came across your organization when searching for an organization for human right empowerment. I hold a diploma course in CRIMONOLOGY. women empowerment is my key agenda in the society. education of the girl child/and equal rights among all

3 Likes

Hi @Shadey and @ELIJAHMEYOKIPERE welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network! Feel free to visit our #gender category and join in any conversations that are taking place at the moment. We also have a growing library of resources where you can find hundreds of resources about legal empowerment and various thematic issues!

1 Like

Thanks for the invitation! I’m an American lawyer with experience in legal-aid roles, now teaching a law school “clinic” on access to justice. I’m interested in ways in which we – and my city of Philadelphia in particular – can be more creative in getting support to people with civil-justice problems. I know we can learn a lot from those of you who aren’t as committed to models that are as lawyer-centric as ours, so I’m happy to connect with Namati.

2 Likes

Hi Thin Thin, hi everyone, Thank you for welcoming me.

I am Dany Tiwa, the executive director of the African Centre for Crime and Security Studies (ACCSS Africa). ACCSS Africa is an independent research institution specialized in crime, conflict and security issues based in Yaoundé, Cameroon. Besides knowledge production and dissemination, we also design and implement projects that strengthen the rule of law, ease access to justice for the most vulnerable, and promote the peaceful resolution of conflicts and community resilience. I found the network through a CRDI’s research project that expressly recommended it. What prompted me to join is the objective that the network pursues. Legal empowerment is indeed one of our main goals at ACCSS Africa. Central Africa, our priority region, still faces a lot of challenges when it comes to the rule of law and to access to justice. We have decided to take the bull by the horns and I personally believe that we can benefit from the experience and knowhow of the members of this network. We’re currently organising a serie of consultations with various stakeholders on organised crime in Cameroon. We don’t have a particular need for now…will reach out as soon as there is one. Meanwhile, feel free to reach out if you need any help from us.

Best regards, Dany

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Philip. I work with This Life NGO (Cambodia) www.thislife.ngo - happy to meet you all.

1 Like

Hi @LenRieser @DanyTiwa and @PJGover welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network! Thank you all for joining the introduction and sharing with us your interest and work! We highly value sharing of learning and knowledge to help support each other in different thematic contexts with various resources for practitioners. Here are some resources that might be helpful to start with: Justice for All, What do we know about legal empowerment? and many more here. Please feel free to check out our discussion and start a conversation with any fellow practitioners.

Welcome all to the platform of hope

1 Like

Hi, I am Rachanadevi. I heard about Namati during my field work in Gujarat as part of my Phd. I am working on people’s response to changing use of common land.

2 Likes

Hi @RachanadeviVaishnav welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network! Community/ Customary Land right and issue have always been a big focus in the field of Legal Empowerment. We have many related practitioner resources in our Resource Library, so feel free to check them up!

1 Like

Dear Thin Thin, Dear all, Glad to be part of the LEN community. My work is focused on evidence for health and social development, through the Madhira Institute (in Nairobi, Kenya) and the People’s Health Movement (Africa and globally). While I come from a public health background, more of my work embraces social accountability and human rights.

I’m very glad to see a huge diversity in social and environmental sectors here, all connected around the use of legal empowerment for communities to advance well-being and realize their rights. There is much we can learn from each other, and I look forward to that.

2 Likes

Hi @ravimram, welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network! Thank you very much for joining the introduction and sharing with us your work! Legal Empowerment covers such a board thematic areas, ranging from health to environment and land, thus there is so much to share and learn in this network. If you are interested, you can check out our Member Directory , to connect with members and organization across different regions. Feel free to join discussions that are taking place at the moment or start one yourself. In case you haven’t, do visit our Resource Library , where you will find hundreds of resources about legal empowerment & access to justice, and specific issues such as right to health.

1 Like

Hi My names are Oscar Mkado from Kenya

2 Likes

Central for development and empowerment of enterprise

2 Likes

Hi,

I am from African Youth Development Link (AYDL) where I provide leadership to the team. AYDL is Uganda’s leading dynamic youth-led Non-Governmental Organization on a mission to place young people at the heart of change and development decision making! I am so glad to here. Heard about this network via the IDRC legal empowerment call for proposals.

1 Like

Hi @OscarMkado @Destiny and @weamartin, welcome to the Legal Empowerment Network and thank you for joining the introduction! To start with, we encourage you to explore the discussion forum and our resource library to improve your experience in the network! Our library has a range of legal empowerment and access to justice resources including thematic focus on youth development as well!

Hello everyone, Denis Kiirya is my name, and I am team leader, Shines Children’s Foundation, an NGO mandated to provide care and support to orphans and vulnerable children bin Uganda, East Africa. I am so happy to be in this platform, which I think I am going to learn and share experience in many aspects of Life. Please let’s keep safe and make this world a better place. With Love. Denis.