New Member Introductions (March 18-31 2021)

Welcome new members! :wave:

We are glad you are here. This is a space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing, and collaboration. Kindly note that this is also a civilized space, with guidelines, for the purpose of improving the discussions. Please take some time to go through our community guidelines.

Here in this topic, we bring together new members to celebrate your arrival.

**Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply using the blue Reply button at the bottom.

4 Likes

Jarso Mokku- Pastoralist Parliamentary Group (PPG) Kenya, CEO DLCI- I am working and interested in sharing about the community land rights & registration of the community lands in FCDC Counties.

1 Like

Hi @JarsoMokku, welcome to the network and thanks for joining the introduction! A lot of our members also work on land rights issue, feel free to explore our current topic or start a new discussion to converse with fellow practitioners. We also run a growing Resource Library with more than hundreds of documents on Land & Natural Resource.

Dear All,

Thank you for including me - I work on the Global Fund for Human Rights Defenders in support of W/HRDs at risk in need of support including grants for legal assistance, medical, trial monitoring, dependent support, prison visits, among other urgent assistance to defenders at risk.

The Global Fund for Human Rights Defenders provides short term assistance, including emergency funds, to human rights defenders (HRDs), including journalists, who are under threat, attack, detention, prosecution, or otherwise at imminent risk due to their work. Assistance may also include protection against other forms of persecution, including slander, smear campaigns, and stigmatization, all serious threats to human rights defenders (HRDs) and their safety.

Types of assistance provided: We can support individuals with financial assistance to improve their, physical security, including for temporary relocation and other security related expenses. We also provide small, short-term emergency grants for medical expenses (including psycho-social care), legal representation, prison visits, trial monitoring, humanitarian assistance, equipment replacement and dependent support if family is at imminent risk because of a HRD’s work.

Countries where HRD assistance has been provided:

Since its inception in 2007, the Global Fund for Human Rights Defenders has provided emergency assistance in 100 countries to over 5000 HRDs most at risk, including human rights lawyers, journalists and media workers, trade unionists, youth defenders, those engaged in activism on sexual orientation and gender identity, and those working on land, indigenous and environmental issues. Women HRDs (WHRDs), including those working for women’s rights and gender equality remain especially at risk. Many of these defenders are targeted not only for what they do, but often for who they are.

We provide emergency support in a secure and timely manner to HRDs at risk in some of the most challenging environments in the world, thus, we also take digital security very seriously, and have a variety of secure communications options, including chat and email with public key encryption, secure internet calls (VoIP) and encrypted chat rooms, and other tools. We would be discuss the best fit for your situation before you send sensitive data.

1 Like

Welcome to the Network @SherylMendez and thank you so much for the introduction into your work. Your work supports a very wide scope of thematic areas, it is empowering to learn how we are advancing legal empowerment in many ways. Please feel free to join any current discussion or start one in the forum. You can also explore our network directory and see which organization members from your country are also in this network!

Thank you @ThinThinHtet I am happy to be part of the 2021 class. We work around in Northern Kenya in supporting the pastoralist to register their community land under new legal framework; The Community Land Act 2016. We work in partnership with other stakeholders that includes NAMATI Kenya. I look forward to complete this course and committed to more engagement and benefit from learning exchange from other part of the world. One key question the pastoralist people are worried about is the new initiatives of promoting wild life conservation in the pastoralist land. Its Pros and Cons are still being debated. However, many pastoralist have intensive fear that they will lose their ancestral land if conservation is introduced in their land. I wish to learn more on this topic from experinces of other part of the world. Many thanks. Jarso

1 Like

@JarsoMokku We are very excited to have you in our 2021 Course! Your key question is really interesting and indeed challenging. Throughout the course, participants will gain insights from the sessions as well as peer exchange and work together to explore solutions to different problems such as yours from different parts of the world. It will be a great space to ask lots of questions and give lots of input!

How can I log in today’s session

In case of any further tech issue, feel free to reach out at [email protected]