New online civil legal advice service in the US: "Free Legal Answers"

The American Bar Association has rolled out a new web program (since September 2016), [ABAFreeLegalAnswers] (http://www.abafreelegalanswers.org/) to give income-eligible users the ability to pose civil legal questions to volunteer attorneys.

The website is intended for people who can answer yes to the following questions:

• Your income is low for a family the size of yours.
  • The value of your checking account, savings account, stocks or bonds are low.
  • You aren’t in jail or prison.
  • Your legal problem isn’t related to a criminal charge.
  • You don’t already have a lawyer to help you with your legal problem.
  • You are an adult.

Users can post maximum three questions in a calendar year. Thank you to @ncamburian for sharing.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing @MariaPetersen - it is great to see legal empowerment methods gaining momentum in the US via the ABA. I recently came across this NPR piece on court navigators, a type of community paralegal in NYC, and an ABA program evaluation that demonstrates how well the approach works. It would be great to tie more technological aspects in such programs like the one above though to broaden accessibility.

2 Likes

I like this. I feel limiting questions to just 3 needs a review. It’s good though that one of the interesting metrics is income levels.

1 Like

I have a project to create it in Brazil. I’m developing that app, and it will have the fields clearly separated. I have the support of 5 lawyers, each one from different areas. I need a financial support to finish it, but i want more ideas to implement that.