Paralegals for Environmental Justice: NEW PRACTICE GUIDE

paralegals
land
environment

(Kanchi Kohli) #1

Large parts of the world, irrespective of their level of economic development, are at the cusp of severe environmental crises. In these regions, the operations of extractive projects such as large scale plantations, mining and industrial development have negated or worsened the economic, social and physical well-being of communities in their neighbourhoods and beyond. Their robust national and regional laws and institutions for the protection and governance of the environment and natural resources have remained on paper and the non-compliance by governments and corporations has had profound effects on community livelihoods, health, access to land and quality of life.

CPR-Namati’s Practice Guide for Environment Justice Paralegals is a step in the direction of closing this environmental enforcement gap. The guide provides a methodology for community mobilisers, activists and citizens groups to shift their attention from stating the problem to getting grievances addressed by environmental institutions. The guide is based on four years of work done by the paralegals of CPR-Namati Environment Justice Program to assist affected communities file complaints and seek remedies in over 150 cases of non-compliance in India. The full guide can be accessed here .

We hope that this guide will help local organisations and community groups to address environmental conflicts and seek useful remedies for affected people.

For more EJ paralegal tools, please see Groundtruthing methodology note , report on Groundtruthing of Environmental Violations in Sarguja, Chhattisgarh , report on the Community-Led Ground Truthing of Environmental Violations in Mundra, Kutch, and the Handbook on Legal and Administrative Remedies for Community Level Environment Justice Practitioners .

@namati_staff

Introducing NET Africa (Natural Environment Technology)
(Flora Masoy) #2

Environmental justice program has come at the right time due to the fact that the situation of environment is becoming worse in the whole world. Paralegals come from the community and work with the community and play a big role in empowering community to address challenges affecting them. This guide therefore if used well by paralegals will enhance improved environment. Happy New Year NAMATI family.

(Rachael Knight) #3

This is fantastic!!! Well done and congratulations!!!

(Laura Goodwin) #5

Congratulations on this amazing guide!

(ismaila sall) #7

Kanchi Kohli Thank you for sharing this very very interesting document on environmental justice.

(Ashley van Waes) #10

:clap: well done, team!

I’d like to take this opportunity to announce that we are hosting a webinar on February 7th, 2018 to further discuss this Practice Guide. Don’t miss this opportunity to hear from the authors, ask questions, and continue the fight for environmental justice.

(Meenakshi Kapoor) #11

Dear @namati_staff,

We have come up with translations of the Paralegal Practice Guide on Environmental Justice in three Indian languages (Oriya, Gujarati and Kannada) and in Indonesia Bahasa. Please share these with those who, you think, may find it useful. Any feedback on these or/and the English version is welcome.

Cheers!

Meenakshi

P.S. We will soon be sharing the Paralegal Practice Guide in Hindi as well.

(McKinley Charles) #12

Thanks for the update, @meenakshikapoor! I see the links are all to CPR site – have you had them uploaded to the network’s resource library yet?

(Maya Reddy) #13

@mckinleycharles I have uploaded the new translations and updated the main resource page- Practice Guide for Environmental Justice Paralegals.

@meenakshikapoor let me know when the Hindi one is available and I will add it to the resource library!

(McKinley Charles) #14

Thanks, @MayaReddy!

FYI – @vivektrivedi – flagging this for you so you know the guide is now available in mulitple languages, which are linked to from the English version (as per Maya’s hyperlink). There is a bit.ly link for this already, I believe.

(Vivek Trivedi) #15

Thanks, Kinley! I’ve added it to our content repository.

(Ava Richardson) #16

This guide details a revolutionary process that can surely empower exploited, marginalized communities. Kudos to you all @kanchikohli !

(Kanchi Kohli) #17

thank you for your generous feedback @Acogod. It is the collective effort of so many of us…and the journey has just begun.

(Meenakshi Kapoor) #18

Dear all,

Now the guide is available in Hindi as well. You can find it here.

@namati_staff

New member introductions (5 April to 18 April, 2018)

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step