Refugees socio-economic sustainance

(Kevin Nam) #1

https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2018/05/kakuma-refugee-camp-consumer-market-worth-sh6b-ifc-study/

(Laura Goodwin) #2

Hi @nashmeister - thanks for sharing this interesting article about the bustling economy in the Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya.

What struck you most about the article? Do you see any lessons for how legal empowerment efforts or paralegals in particular might think about their work in refugee camps differently?

(Kevin Nam) #4

https://www.theguardian.com/society-professionals/2017/dec/20/womens-refuges-domestic-violence-abuse-need-all-the-support-how-you-can-help-charity

i was inspired by the post above @lauragoodwin since many refugees need to self sustain themselves in regards to their well-being and avoid just depending on well wishers and the government. my proposal is that their business activities should have tax incentives that enable them, to thrive. women and children are to suffer if they are not considered to be given business opportunities. its good to show someone how to fish rather than give them fish.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

Also, a tech tip: if you put the URL straight into the topic title box it will grab the title of the post and display a handy link in topic lists, as well as add it to your post on a separate line. If the site supports it, the link in the post will also show a pretty summary.

I’m jazzed to see you logging in very regularly to contribute to discussions. It’s good to have you here representing Kenya and your interest in gender equality and human rights. :sunflower:

(Kevin Nam) #6

i have been having a hard time doing it but i think now i can relate to what you are saying

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step