Registration of stateless persons in Kenya

A ‘stateless’ man from Nairobi, who had for the last 12 years been seeking application as a citizen of Kenya without success, could finally be provided with the crucial documents next month.

Mr Kulraj Singh Bhangra, had on December 5, 2014 obtained Court orders directing the said Director-General to consider his application as a citizen of Kenya but the said state officer had been reluctant to comply.

The high courts of Kenya has set precedence in terms of registration of stateless persons. This case could open doors to the actualisation of section 15, 16 and 17 of the citizenship and immigration act 2010. @Purity_Wadegu @lauragoodwin @laurabingham do you think this is an opportunity we should take for class action for stateless persons? The rest of the story can be found here.

3 Likes

@mustafa_mahmoud, yes it can serve as a set precedent which fortunately for us forms part of the law in Kenya, lest it changes. It is usually a great mile when the High courts make such progressive decisions.

2 Likes

True. The courts have really given good decisions on nationality issues and registration. I remember the ruling by Lady Justice Mumbi on the inclusion of father’s name on birth records of children born out of wedlock. For years children had carried the burden of not having to know the names of their biological fathers in the name of being born out of wedlock. I have faith in the corridors of justice that they hold the keys to resolving statelessness and other nationality issues in Kenya.

2 Likes

Commendable what the courts are doing, but regarding the class action I think so that the fight against statelessness can be won, each individual case should be examined and tried on it’s own merits so that The Registrar can be guided by a vast database of precedence set by courts on the numerous varying issues that contribute to statelessness. What the courts have started is a step in the right direction. We just need to keep putting on the pressure and fighting the fight.

3 Likes