Resource of the Week- The Scramble for Land Rights: Reducing Inequity between Communities and Companies

land
resourceoftheweek
justiceforall
featured-j4a

(Michael Otto) #1

This is the 4th week of our 10 Weeks of Action and we are focused on Community Land Rights, so this week’s profiled resource is a new resource from World Resources Institute called: The Scramble for Land Rights: Reducing Inequity between Communities and Companies.

This important research report was completed through desk and field research across the Global South and includes sections on data collection methods, key data findings, analysis, and recommendations.

More about the The Scramble for Land Rights: Reducing Inequity between Communities and Companies:

Indigenous and community lands, crucial for rural livelihoods, are typically held under informal customary arrangements. This can leave the land vulnerable to outside commercial interests, so communities may seek to formalize their land rights in a government registry and obtain an official land document. But this process is time-consuming and complex, and in contrast, companies can acquire land relatively quickly and find shortcuts around regulatory burdens. This report maps these inequities between communities and companies, and offers recommendations on how to level the playing field.

You can access this resource in our library at the following link:

As always, please let us know your thoughts on this resource or if you have questions for fellow members at World Resources Institue by commenting below. @JesseWorker @caroleexcell @ElizabethMoses

The resource of the week is a short profile of a key resource found in the resource library of the Global Legal Empowerment Network. These resources can be older or brand new, but they all touch on important themes within legal empowerment. If you have a resource you would like to profile with the network, upload it directly at this link or email it to community@namati.org

(Ajibola Oyelade) #4

Very good topic. I must say. What’s your take on South Africa’s EFF party re: communal land rights and expropriation without compensation?

(Michael Otto) #5

Thanks @ajioye. As I am not intimately familiar with the EFF party’s specific land policies in South Africa, I do not really have a personal take on them (although my past of working on evictions led me to the notion that expropriation without compensation is rarely done in a fair and just manner). However @KhanyisileNtsenge @shadracklawrence, @simbongilekamtshe, or other network members in South Africa may have some input.

(Ajibola Oyelade) #6

I agree with you that it is rarely done with fairness. See this story:

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step